X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

Syracuse University, can someone help??

sorry if this doesnt fit in about bills football, but let me explain..

im a senior in high school and am leaving california for school. i applied to syracuse and uconn and am fairly confident i will get into both...assuming i do, what can you new yorkers and east costers tell me about the cities of syracuse and storrs?? bonus: does anyone know alumni or current students?

thank you so much for your help, you might be determining where i spend the next 4-5 years of my life.

thanks again,
    chris
    the dude abides
  • helmetguy
    Touch the helmet for luck
    • Sep 2002

Storrs isn't much to write home about. In general, the cost of living is quite high. As for Uconn itself, Dr. Bruce Carpenter, at Mansfield University (www.mnsfl.edu), did his Master's and Ph.D. work there. He's in the Economics Dept. at MU. For Syracuse, you can contact Andy Havalchak at Mansfield U. He's a Syracuse Alumni. Hope that helps some, mpfm.
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Storrs is a boring little town 45 minutes from hartford, one of the most boring cities on the planet.

If I were you I'd fly out east on a long weekend and visit both places. They are about 4-5 hours apart by car.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Neither Storrs nor Syracuse is what I would call a city. Storrs is all college town in the middle of nowhere. Plus is that it is close to Boston, Providence and Hartford. Syracuse is a very small city without a lot going on. If you like the outdoors however, there are lots of good options in the Finger Lakes Region and the Adirondacks are not too far.

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

My wife grew up in the Syracuse area.......And I lived there for 4 months and moved back to Buff.......The thing I liked about SU was the sports, but after that it was ok...
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
            • May 2004

I hope you like snow and cold.....for 75% of the school year that is what you will get, so be prepared.

Syracuse is a great college town, and the folks I have known who have gone there do not regret it one bit. As a football guy...I would think Syracuse better in that they have more recruiting power and therefore more talent to see. It's not New York City but I have found Syracuse more fun to hang out in than Buffalo...that's just my opinion.

I assume you know what you are going to major in and have looked into the programs offered at both places?
            "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
            --Leo Durocher

Comment

• TheBrownBear
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
              sorry if this doesnt fit in about bills football, but let me explain..

im a senior in high school and am leaving california for school. i applied to syracuse and uconn and am fairly confident i will get into both...assuming i do, what can you new yorkers and east costers tell me about the cities of syracuse and storrs?? bonus: does anyone know alumni or current students?

thank you so much for your help, you might be determining where i spend the next 4-5 years of my life.

thanks again,
              chris
              Seriously bro, both of those places suck. The cities suck and the schools aren't the best either. I have a friend in med school at Syracuse (he's from Buffalo) and he hates the place.

Why are you leaving California? The UC system is fantastic and the Cal-St system isn't bad either. Not to mention the weather, and the wide variety of tanned honeys. Plus, you save yourself a grip of money by going to school in state. And believe me, you will realize the importance of minimizing your debt once you're out of school.

As for me, I just moved from CA to the East Coast for grad school and I hate it. It's so freakin cold right now and the ground is covered in snow. I seriously recommend that you make a visit to these places before you make up your mind. If you are really interested in getting out there and experiencing what life on the East Coast is like you'd be better off going to school in a big city like NYC, Boston, Philly, or DC. The only difference between places like Syracuse & Storrs, and Chico, is that these places are covered in snow for four months.

I'd recommend contacting both schools and asking them if you could contact a current student or speak with an alumni to get more information about the school. They will almost certainly hook you up with an email address or phone number. And many schools even have a page on their site that allows you to pose questions to a current student.

Also, you might want to check out this website:
              www.autoadmit.com
              There are likely to be a lot of pretentious a-holes on that site, but there should be a couple of students from each school to give you the real scoop of what student life is like at each school.

Last but not least, good luck.
              Last edited by TheBrownBear; 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                • Aug 2004

SU is not that bad of a school, the campus is insanely big. I took a course there last summer. If you don't like the weather, don't come out here. go to Ku or arizona (my second choice) Syracuse is pretty damn boring except you get all the Bills games.
                http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Here is what you need to know:

The bars in Syracuse are sublime. The women in Syracuse are a far cry from California girls.

The bars in CT are acceptable. The women in CT are average.

I recommend San Diego State, or if you really want out of California, try Arizona State or the University of Arizona.

Sorority row in the University of Arizona is located on Cherry Street!

Comment

• TedMock
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                    Seriously bro, both of those places suck. The cities suck and the schools aren't the best either. I have a friend in med school at Syracuse (he's from Buffalo) and he hates the place.

Why are you leaving California? The UC system is fantastic and the Cal-St system isn't bad either. Not to mention the weather, and the wide variety of tanned honeys. Plus, you save yourself a grip of money by going to school in state. And believe me, you will realize the importance of minimizing your debt once you're out of school.

As for me, I just moved from CA to the East Coast for grad school and I hate it. It's so freakin cold right now and the ground is covered in snow. I seriously recommend that you make a visit to these places before you make up your mind. If you are really interested in getting out there and experiencing what life on the East Coast is like you'd be better off going to school in a big city like NYC, Boston, Philly, or DC. The only difference between places like Syracuse & Storrs, and Chico, is that these places are covered in snow for four months.

I'd recommend contacting both schools and asking them if you could contact a current student or speak with an alumni to get more information about the school. They will almost certainly hook you up with an email address or phone number. And many schools even have a page on their site that allows you to pose questions to a current student.

Also, you might want to check out this website:
                    www.autoadmit.com
                    There are likely to be a lot of pretentious a-holes on that site, but there should be a couple of students from each school to give you the real scoop of what student life is like at each school.

Last but not least, good luck.

I'm just the opposite. I moved out to California, and couldn't leave fast enough. The weather's nice, but I really enjoy the winters on the east coast. The east coast is also noticeably faster. It really depends on what lifestyle you're better suited for. I had a hard time with a lot of the slower moving people on the west coast, but I'm sure they felt that I needed to chill out. Anyway, I'm in the DC area now, and I like it, but I still miss Buffalo; especially when my family's all going out snowmobiling! I did live outside of Syracuse for three years. Cuse is a real fun college town (if that's what you're looking for), and it's a good school. There's not a lot outside of Syracuse, though. I've never been to UConn's campus or surrounding areas.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TedMock
                      I'm just the opposite. I moved out to California, and couldn't leave fast enough. The weather's nice, but I really enjoy the winters on the east coast. The east coast is also noticeably faster. It really depends on what lifestyle you're better suited for. I had a hard time with a lot of the slower moving people on the west coast, but I'm sure they felt that I needed to chill out. Anyway, I'm in the DC area now, and I like it, but I still miss Buffalo; especially when my family's all going out snowmobiling! I did live outside of Syracuse for three years. Cuse is a real fun college town (if that's what you're looking for), and it's a good school. There's not a lot outside of Syracuse, though. I've never been to UConn's campus or surrounding areas.
                      I'm exactly the same, yet I feel the opposite way. Born in Buffalo, moved to CA for college, and now I'm in DC.

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                        I'm exactly the same, yet I feel the opposite way. Born in Buffalo, moved to CA for college, and now I'm in DC.
                        Where in DC? I used to live up by Tenleytown, but now I'm in Maryland.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TedMock
                          Where in DC? I used to live up by Tenleytown, but now I'm in Maryland.
                          I actually live in VA. (Ballston (Arlington)). But I'm a full-time student in the city.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Having attended SU for 3 years and being an Ernie Davis Club member and a season football ticket holder, I am naturally a little biased. But SU has a beautiful campus, a number of nationally recognized academic programs, and great athletic traditions in football, basketball and lacrosse.

It's a pretty good party school, with a number of fraternities and sororities and plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops on Marshall Street.

The city itself is small, but there are plenty of places to go and things to do, including a Triple A baseball team and an AHL hockey team.

I had a great time there 40 years ago, and a great time now, every Saturday in the fall when I go back for an Orange football game.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                              • Apr 2003

well, brown bear, youre not making me feel too good about my decisions right now, but let me tell you no california school really has to offer what im looking for.

no cal states have any dorm life, school spirit, or sports to get excited for, and as far as the UC's, the same applies bar Cal and UCLA, but both are huge and probably out of my league anyway. and i HATE USC.

im ready for a change of scenery and both syracuse and uconn seem to have everything im looking for in my ideal college. im visiting around march 21-26 to see both schools. a lot of thought went into these choices and im hoping its more of what ted mock said and less of what redeye said.

what im looking for is the "college life" of a college community, good dorm life, sports to paint my body for, beautiful, walkable campus, and great academic opportunities....i looked in the north east because im ready to put california behind me and i thnik i can really fit in over there in new york and the tri state area.
                              the dude abides

Comment

Working...
                              X