PDA

View Full Version : the Steelers- what do they look like next year?

trapezeus
01-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I find it hard to think that with the Parity (god, I hate that term so much just because of its sheer use), the Steelers will have another superb record. It was an amazing run. It’s not founded on anything. They played incredibly well in the first 11 games or so. But the ones I saw against the Giants, the Bills, the Jets, and the Pats, they were a very beatable team. Their offense lacked imagination. I can see them in the playoffs next year, but perhaps as the 10-6 team that they deservedly are.

I'm not saying they are a terrble team, just not really a 15-1 team. The Bears of 85, that was a legitamate 15-1 team.

any thoughts?

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I find it hard to think that with the Parity (god, I hate that term so much just because of its sheer use), the Steelers will have another superb record. It was an amazing run. It’s not founded on anything. They played incredibly well in the first 11 games or so. But the ones I saw against the Giants, the Bills, the Jets, and the Pats, they were a very beatable team. Their offense lacked imagination. I can see them in the playoffs next year, but perhaps as the 10-6 team that they deservedly are.

I'm not saying they are a terrble team, just not really a 15-1 team. The Bears of 85, that was a legitamate 15-1 team.

any thoughts?
Teams are going to break down the films of three games and figure out that Big Ben is really raw...the two Jets games and the NE game yesterday...the kid was far from ready...there was a reason why the "2nd Teamers" were able to come in and beat the Bills...the Steelers are that good and just needed somebody to not blow the games for them...in the end Roethelisberger could have been the goat in either game against the Jets and lost the game yesterday. He looked all the rookie that he is. The Pats had 3 INTs - it could have been 7 or 8. In the end, he cost them one more game this year than Bledsoe cost the Bills.

Now, next year...it depends on free agency...the Steelers should win that division; they are that good. Roethelisberger has to improve or they slip back...He was terrible the last 5 games he played and at one point had threw 8 INTs in his last 67 passes...over the course of time that gets you killed in this league...way too early to predict a record...also, if Bettis retires they better find somebody...Staley just doesn't appear to have it...

helmetguy
01-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Plexiglass looks like he wants to look for greener pastures, too. Not that he's been a huge asset for the Stillers, mind you....

OpIv37
01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Ben is raw but he will only improve. The loss of Bettis will hurt them. 16-2 next year? I doubt it- I think that was due to an experienced team rallying around a caretaker, and next year they will need to come up with a more inventive offense. They will either struggle because of lack of diversity on offense or struggle learning new tricks.

That being said, they will compete for their division and I expect them to win it. Cleveland's still rebuilding, Cincinnati could go either way and Baltimore still has no offense.

TigerJ
01-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I think Roethlisberger will improve quite a bit. He will have to because as Eb says, teams will solve him and figure out ways to shut down a basically one dimensional offence. I think they will at least make the playoffs next year. To do better than that will depend on a lot of factors, but it's not impossible for them to match or improve on this past season.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-24-2005, 08:56 PM
I like Plaxico, he just needs to realize that on a running team and being the 2nd reciever that you wont get many chances.. I hope he doesnt end up in the AFCeast..

helmetguy
01-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Imagine what he could do if he ever got his head out of his ass and learned to run a decent pass route. He's lazy and sloppy

BADTHINGSMAN
01-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Imagine what he could do if he ever got his head out of his ass and learned to run a decent pass route. He's lazy and sloppy

I guess Hines didnt teach him to much on route running.. Like you said imagine if he settled down and learned the recieving game..

buffalofan19
01-24-2005, 11:29 PM
The Steelers are still a good football team, and Roethlisberger is all the better for his miserable playoff outings in the long run. He's shaken that inexperience off and will be even more effective next year. The running game and defense also will continue to be dominant. However, I think alot of luck played into the Steelers hands this year, enabling them to go 15-1. I don't think you will see a repeat, but probably a 12-4 maybe evne a 13-3 year with one of the homefield spots next year.