PDA

View Full Version : Sapp is the biggest scumbag in the NFL

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 02:05 PM
espn.com reports on Chad Clifton injurys:

"The former Tennessee standout(Clifton), a second-round selection in the 2000 draft, suffered torn ligaments in his hip, and substantial bleeding into the pelvis, and there is some suspicion of spinal damage as well."

i wish i could give sapp a nice :deadhorse

WCoastFin
11-26-2002, 02:19 PM
This is ridicioulus! Why is he a scumbag? the guy was doing his job for crying out loud! Its not like he meant to completely damage the poor guy....My best wishes go toClifton and his family and Im sure Sapp feels the same way, but the guy was just doing his job and I dont believe he intented for a serious injury to happen....something tells me this got a little out of hand only becuz lots of people hate Sapp for having a big mouth, I bet if it was some other scrub that caused something like this it wouldnt be mentioned or hated as much.....thats life in the NFL.

colin
11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
The hit was legal.

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 02:54 PM
im not saying the hit was illegal, im saying it was unnessasary. the guy was 35 yards away from the play, his eyes down feild. sapp saw him not paying attention and cleaned his clock for no reason other than to do it. thats not the worst part, he then stood over him and taunted him, then celibrated while he layed there with "substantial bleeding into the pelvis" and "spinal damage". i love hits like that when they spirng runners, or allow guys to miss tackles, or even 10 or 20 yards down feild where the ball carrier might go. but there was no reason for sapp to make a block of that kind. Dont tell me "its just football" putting someones life and carrer in danger for no reason what so ever is not "football" its just dirty.

thats just my two cents.

Novacane
11-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Just because a hit is legal does not mean it is not dirty. That hit was no way near the play. It was a dirty hit. I will not feel sorry for that idiot when someone takes his knee out.

Novacane
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
, I bet if it was some other scrub that caused something like this it wouldnt be mentioned or hated as much.....thats life in the NFL.

No....I bet if it had been some scrub that did this the NFL would suspend him. Sapp is an A-hole and I want to see someone take his knees out. Than they can stand over him and laugh and see if he gets po'd!

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 03:09 PM
:afro: WORD :afro:

doug45
11-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
This is ridicioulus! Why is he a scumbag? the guy was doing his job for crying out loud! Its not like he meant to completely damage the poor guy....My best wishes go toClifton and his family and Im sure Sapp feels the same way, but the guy was just doing his job and I dont believe he intented for a serious injury to happen....something tells me this got a little out of hand only becuz lots of people hate Sapp for having a big mouth, I bet if it was some other scrub that caused something like this it wouldnt be mentioned or hated as much.....thats life in the NFL.

I do not think any NFL players job is to try to hurt anyone. When you lead with your head and blind side someone who is not in the play that makes you a scum bag in most peoples book.

colin
11-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Every NFL O lineman, especially when playing a player like Sapp, tries to blind side any defender in front of them. TB played Philly on a nationally televised game this year and Runyon (who is nasty) blind sides Brooks and knocks him two feet in the air. Brooks gets up laughing and says "He got me again". If that dude who Sapp took out had a shot like that on Sapp he would have taken it.

You guys just have a problem with Sapp.

Novacane
11-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by colin

You guys just have a problem with Sapp.

No.............I have a problem with dirty play.

colin
11-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

But it was not a dirty play. The whistle had not blown yet, the block was not low or in the back, that lineman just needs to keep his head up.

Novacane
11-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Thats Your opinion Colin. I and many others think it was dirty. There was absolutely no need for the hit. Sapp should remember what goes around comes around

Pride
11-26-2002, 03:40 PM
I know it was not illegal, but I just hope that someone says that whenever a Guard rounds on a power sweep and happens to fall onto Sapp's ankle, a 300 lb man falling on an ankle can wreak havoc to someone's career!

colin
11-26-2002, 03:48 PM
Thats Your opinion Colin. I and many others think it was dirty. There was absolutely no need for the hit. Sapp should remember what goes around comes around

I don't understand why it was dirty, because it was "away from the play"? Half of the plays in the game Sapp was away from the play but the O line tried to block him hard. That is just the nature of the game, good players always block who they can where they can, you never know if the runner is going to cut back and sweep accross where your man will be.

The_Philster
11-26-2002, 03:56 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Sherman said it wasn't dirty after he looked at the film. Unnecessary, yes.

Typ0
11-26-2002, 04:05 PM
"Wait until he is ready to make a tackle before you block him then it will be clear he is near the play". Idiots.

colin
11-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
"Wait until he is ready to make a tackle before you block him then it will be clear he is near the play". Idiots.

Who are you quoting?

Novacane
11-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Sherman said it wasn't dirty after he looked at the film. Unnecessary, yes.

Sherman is just backpedaling to try and calm the situation down. He knows he should have never confronted Sapp.

Favre4MVP
11-26-2002, 04:50 PM

Sherman is just backpedaling to try and calm the situation down. He knows he should have never confronted Sapp.

Sherman is not backpedaling. He said in his press conference that he is glad he confronted Sapp. He's sorry that it has gotten this much media attention, but he's glad he confronted him. He was standing up for his player that is laying in the hospital. I just wish the players had done it and Sherman didn't have to.

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 05:52 PM
I think we are confusing the word "Dirty". in my eyes an Unnecessary hit is dirty. In Shermans eyes, only an Illegal hit is dirty.

Typ0
11-26-2002, 06:34 PM
I was paraphrazing the people who said the hit was uncalled for because he was "out of the play".

I saw the Sherman comment. He basically said they were going to get revenge on Sapp next time they played him.

iceblizzard69
11-26-2002, 07:30 PM
The hit was unnecessary. It was legal, but it was extremely far away from the play an had no effect on it at all. Also, I think Sapp was trying to injure Clifton, he could have just pushed him but the play was almost over and he knew Clifton would have no affect on it.

shelby
11-26-2002, 07:38 PM
This is only my opinion, y'all, so don't get all in an uproar.....i would LOVE to have Sapp play for the Bills.

SABURZFAN
11-26-2002, 08:38 PM
The hit was legal.

i agree

SABURZFAN
11-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by shelby
This is only my opinion, y'all, so don't get all in an uproar.....i would LOVE to have Sapp play for the Bills.

me too

stone pony
11-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by shelby

Not many from the Packers are saying it was not a legal hit. Most admit it's part of the game. What is being questioned is that Sapp was headhunting on the play. He went out of his way to put a lick on some one away from the play. Sapp also happens to be a guy who had no tackles, no assists, and no sacks that day....BTW..Clifton was our best O lineman. ....Coincidence?

What pissed Sherman off was Sapps supposed celebration after the hit. Period.

There has also been talk that one of our coaches was talking about Sapp watching his back. That is true. He said that players may start cutting on Sapp, which is also a dangerous, possibly injurous block....it also happens be completely legal.

The message from Green Bay to Tampa is...what goes around comes around.

missphin_2001
11-26-2002, 11:59 PM
If what Sapp did ruins Cliftons career, then I will enjoy seeing him go down with a season ending, career threatening injury, AND I hope someone does it on purpose.

Of course I think Sapp is an idiot, and would like nothing more then to see him exit the game.

doug45
11-27-2002, 06:06 AM

Well Said!!!!!!

doug45
11-27-2002, 06:09 AM
The hit was legal.

Because you can get away with something don't make it right!!

Scott
11-27-2002, 06:17 AM
What makes this any different from the huge blocks they show on ESPN every weekend?
The hit was legal, maybe not necessary but within the rules of the game. I do not think there was any intent to injure.
What if the DB had cut back to the middle of the field and Clifton made the tackle? Sapp would have been accused of loafing or taking the play off.

Texas PB
11-27-2002, 12:06 PM
As a trolling Packer fan my beef with Sapp isn't whether the hit was legal or not, it's the fact he was trying to hurt someone. The way I know he was trying to hurt him was how he reacted immediately after the play (joking and carrying on while Clifton was being put on a backboard) and after the game (his tirade with Sherman) and the fact he has never thought it proper to just check on Clifton to see how he is doing.

Someone tell me the last time you saw a player take someone else out who subsequently had to be carried off on a stretcher, hospitalized and the said player not make one effort to check on or be concern with his well being.

That's my biggest beef, all Sapp had to do was go by and say something nice while he was being carted off the field or surprise surprise check up on someone you put into the hospital. Last I checked this is still a game and all participants are supposed to be human beings.

Ð
11-27-2002, 12:33 PM
It was a football play. It's like someone in Nascar saying "that's racin' " after a bumping incident.

Hits like that are part of the game...We might as well play snakes & ladders or ping pong on the field if you want to take line play and payback out of the game.

(Must be the hockey player in me talking) :rofl:

Cntrygal
11-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Texas PB
As a trolling Packer fan my beef with Sapp isn't whether the hit was legal or not, it's the fact he was trying to hurt someone. The way I know he was trying to hurt him was how he reacted immediately after the play (joking and carrying on while Clifton was being put on a backboard) and after the game (his tirade with Sherman) and the fact he has never thought it proper to just check on Clifton to see how he is doing.

Someone tell me the last time you saw a player take someone else out who subsequently had to be carried off on a stretcher, hospitalized and the said player not make one effort to check on or be concern with his well being.

That's my biggest beef, all Sapp had to do was go by and say something nice while he was being carted off the field or surprise surprise check up on someone you put into the hospital. Last I checked this is still a game and all participants are supposed to be human beings.

:up: Nice Post!!!

Welcome to the Zone! :)

BillsMan80
11-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Sapp is a gutless and dirty player who hit an unsuspecting and defenseless player. While the hit may have been legal, the simple logistics of the situation were wrong and his intentions were wrong. That makes it a dirty play. If Sapp doesn't get finished off before 2005, I hope to god that Sullivan, Brown, or one of our linemen puts Sapp out for a VERY LONG time.

Sabre Ally
11-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the Zone, Tex.

Texas PB
11-28-2002, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome - Here's something I just read that sums up a lot of my feelings.

Dr. Z in Sport Illustrated at CNNSI.com:
----
We used to call it, "crippling the dummy." You unload on someone who's not expecting it. Usually the action is legal, in a narrow sense, but away from the play. It's a sneak attack. Some people I played with simply wouldn't do it. Others specialized in it. One teammate in particular used to brag about it, how he'd cruise around the fringes of the action, looking for a dummy to cripple. I never much liked him. Sound like someone familiar?

They're still assessing the damage Chad Clifton suffered from the blow delivered by Warren Sapp, but it's bad, we know that. At first they called it a dislocated hip, which is an awful injury that usually affects a person, in some form or other, for the rest of his or her life. Now they're mentioning torn ligaments and a massive collection of blood in the pelvic area along with damage to the back. Clifton was in such severe pain that he couldn't fly back to Green Bay with the team. They had to keep him in the hospital for what I read was a minimum of three to five days. Such was the force of the blow.

I watched it on tape just to see how far away from Brian Kelly's interception Clifton was and how hard he was actually pursuing. I saw it once. I couldn't watch it again. The ferocity of the thing was incredible. Sapp, coming on a dead run, actually left both feet. Kelly was about 25 yards across the field and traveling fast. Clifton was moving in a slow jog, hardly what you'd call pursuit. Offensive players are told to always have the searchlights going after a turnover, never to relax, but the action was pretty far away. He never saw Sapp coming.

In the office where they set up fines for players having their shirts out or having their socks too high, the NFL studied Sapp's hit and declared it legal. Didn't cut him, didn't hit him from the back, etc. Intent, of course, is never studied. Sapp wasn't, as he later claimed, trying to protect his teammate, trying to hustle to cut off pursuit. If he were, he'd have run nearer to the action and tried to block someone who actually was chasing the play, although it would most likely have been gone by then. Sapp was just getting a free one on a guy who wasn't expecting it. He was crippling the dummy. It was a mean, nasty hit that might have ended a person's career and given him a lifelong souvenir of pain.

I always knew Sapp was a phony, but I underestimated his vicious streak. I caught a sideline shot of him and Brett Favre at the tail end of Dexter Jackson's long interception in the fourth quarter. It was that same old buddy-buddy crap that we've seen to the point of nausea. Hey, Warren, Favre was in pursuit. Why didn't you throw a block? What a joke. Throw a block? Run the risk of damaging your meal ticket? He's milked that Favre stuff for as long as we can remember ... friendly rivals and all that. Commercially, it's a valuable part of the Sapp shtick. The networks love it.

Sapp is a clever person. He's funny, a terrific quote machine, although he can be nasty to people who get on his bad side. He's also an outstanding football player. As a human being, though ... well, you can have him for Christmas and 10 points.

If the Packers and Bucs met twice a year, as they used to, then everyone would be drumming up a retribution angle for the rematch. The storyline still might exist, if the teams meet in the playoffs. The problem is that retribution doesn't exist any more. Players make too much money nowadays -- friend and foe alike, it's as if they're one big fraternity -- plus there's always the fear of the league handing out hefty fines, even suspensions, if it sniffed any kind of get-even action. Bad things often happen on the field. Nobody tries to square things, the way they used to.

In the old days before the face masks it was easy to pay someone back. After that it was tougher but not impossible.

"First you get his helmet off, then you take your shot," Lyle Alzado once told me. "There's a trick to it. If you know how to do it, it's like snapping the lid of a coke can. But you have to get the helmet off first."

This from an ex-player and fan of the game.

colin
11-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Dr. Z is for real. But the hit that Sapp put on was OK, the real fault lies in the unaware play of Clifton.

Sapp is scum, but that hit was OK.

TedMock
11-29-2002, 11:05 AM
The hit was legal and Sherman had every right to stick up for his player. I think it's great the coach did that. I don't think Sapp tried to cause internal bleeding but the hit was gutless. Forget this "that's football" crap. Football players are supposed to be tough not stand in the back of the crowd and sucker punch a guy not involved in the fight just so he can say he was part of it. That was a perfectly legal totally pussy hit. There are still ethics in the game and Sapp doesn't follow them. They should legally blow his knee out since it's ok in the trenches.