PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody mentioned that Michael Vick...

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:45 PM
is way overrated...way overpaid...can't win the big one...is a huge choker...

well, at least he isn't immobile...guess that makes him worth $100M.

RedEyE
01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Agreed. Several of us stated the same thing yesterday.

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Agreed. Several of us stated the same thing yesterday.
sorry...I wasn't here for the last couple of days...

helmetguy
01-24-2005, 07:58 PM
And looks great hooking up with his $35 million "go to" receiver. The guy's name escapes me, but I THINK he wears #81.

RedEyE
01-24-2005, 07:59 PM
sorry...I wasn't here for the last couple of days...

I think we should discuss it further.

RedEyE
01-24-2005, 08:07 PM
There is no question that this kid has some serious talent..but, can he pull it all together? I have my doubts

I just don't understand the hype? He was injured for most of his college career, and has played only 1 full season without injury as a professional. Granted, during that season they made it to the NFC Championship, but, how much is credited to Vick, the QB, and how much should be credited to Vick, the tailback?

He was the most sacked QB this year, and had one of the least amount of yards passing this season. He has a knack of winning games, but suceeded in winning in a season on a seriously weak NFC schedule.

His armstrength is nothing less than phenominal, but his ability to find the open receiver is highly questionable. If not for Crumpler absorbing the highest percentage of Vick's passes, he would have been forced to rely heavily on his receivers which he proved he is incapable of doing thus far.

Overhyped. Overpaid. Overrated.

Dozerdog
01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
When his legs give out he will give out

RedEyE
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
When his legs give out he will give out

He seemed to wear down as the season progressed. I was at the Rams - Falcons playoff game. During the 1st quarter he had a huge break for a run down to about the 20. From my perspective Vick had the hole and the opportunity to run in the score, but never flashed the afterburners. Instead he was chased down and corraled out of bounce.

I think the Falcons are really going to have to spend the offseason training this kid in the pocket a little more. Of course after they beef up the OL.

Mr.Right
01-24-2005, 08:15 PM

well, at least he isn't immobile...guess that makes him worth $100M.After reading the first part of your post, I thought you were talking about Drew Bledsoe!:funny:

helmetguy
01-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Worst part of it is, with all his athletic ability,he bought into his own hype and bolted from VT after his sophomre year. He could have used at least one more season to learn a little something about playing QB.

OpIv37
01-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I had Vick on my fantasy team- great athlete, mediocre at best QB. He doesn't protect the ball and doesn't see the field well. I think it could be solved with coaching and experience- as someone just said, he's only had one full season in the NFL. He could be a great QB, he could be another addition to the long list of great athletes who can't play football (Antonio Brown, anyone?). Right now, it's all hype but it works- he's selling tickets and jerseys, so the NFL will continue to hype him.

TigerJ
01-24-2005, 08:45 PM
I've never been a huge fan of Michael Vick. As long as he has his legs he will make the Falcons dangerous, but his game is so wild and undisciplined that at some point it has to break down. If you're going to make a serious run at the Super Bowl I think consistencey is absolutely requisite. I don't see the falcons ever going any further than they did this year with Vick at QB. Not a racist point of view. Both McNabb and Daunte Culpepper are mobile QBs (obviously not as wildly athletic as Vick) but they seem perfectly capable of working within a system and playing with the kind of discipline and consistency that can win a Super Bowl.

STAMPY
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
This thread has been made like 10 times

BADTHINGSMAN
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Did anyone see the top10 Vick moments before the game?? Granted it was from the last 3 years.. I didnt see any Vick to Price moments..

Dozerdog
01-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Very few of those were great passes hitting a WR in stride- of those that were passes, he ran around in the backfield for 5 minutes then found a guy.

Did you see Brady hit those WRs down field when they needed it?

Let's see Vick do that

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 09:42 PM
teams will watch the Philly and TB games and shut him off like a runny faucet next year...

dannyek71
01-25-2005, 07:27 AM

I agree hes not the best player in the league....

But look at the Falcon's record without him last year, and their record with him this year, with essentially the same team....

Jan Reimers
01-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Big potential, little progress.

The King
01-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I just think 100million for a running back is way too much... They couldve got Brees or Rivers and bolstered their lines, they would be unstoppable its a matter of time before Vicks paycheck cuts into productivity.

Earthquake Enyart
01-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Get Vick a top shelf receiver, and he'll be fine. As long as he is on turf.

FTG
01-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Vick is way overrated but he's not as bad as some here make him out to be

FTG
01-25-2005, 07:51 AM

When ever people ***** about TD you say how all the games are sold out and business is good.

Well then......before Vick the Falcons had about 20,000 season tickets. Now they have a waiting list. Falcons make the playoffs with Vick at QB and business is good. I'd say that makes him worth 100 million +

don137
01-25-2005, 08:00 AM
I saw in the paper today how Jim Mora said he needs his wide receivers to step it up next year (AKA...Price needs to produce the same way he is getting paid).

mysticsoto
01-25-2005, 08:28 AM
That's just what I was going to say. Vick needs good WRs also. Otherwise he ends up doing the undisciplined, wild, save my life type of moment. And some of those he can get away with. But on a very good disciplined defense like Philly had, that's just not going to work.

They have a decent RB, the O line is probably mediocre at best. But their WRs are not great at all. I was surprised they gave us so much for Peerless, but like many other people, they don't realize that the receivers next to Moulds do great B'CSE of Moulds and no other reason. I like Evans and he seems to be developing quickly, but if Moulds wasn't there, he would not have done this great in his rookie year. Moulds doesn't get enough credit for not only putting up numbers, but helping the 2nd receiver put up numbers.

Put Randy Moss or TO in ATL and see if they don't do better!!!

Lone Stranger
01-25-2005, 08:35 AM
You can knock him all you want but would you like to see him in a Bills' uniform? On the other hand San Diego looks to have made a pretty good move when they essentially traded Vick for Brees and Tomlinson.

Dozerdog
01-25-2005, 08:38 AM
When ever people ***** about TD you say how all the games are sold out and business is good.

Well then......before Vick the Falcons had about 20,000 season tickets. Now they have a waiting list. Falcons make the playoffs with Vick at QB and business is good. I'd say that makes him worth 100 million +

Do you think with his running style he will stay healthy enough long enough?

OpIv37
01-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Get Vick a top shelf receiver, and he'll be fine. As long as he is on turf.

And in a dome or warm weather city.

From the money side of things, I can completely see why he's worth it- he brings so much into the team as far as tickets, merch and ad revenue. But football product and business product aren't always the same thing. I can't help but think of Chris Farley's speech from Tommy Boy- "I can take a dump in box and slap a guarantee on it, but then all you'd have is a guaranteed piece of ****." In a way Vick has created a football product that's very marketable in America- flashy, fun and easy to sell but of little substantive value. It's like the action figures we got as kids that were never nearly as cool as they looked in the commercials.

FTG
01-25-2005, 09:01 AM

I think that gets overblown. He's had 1 serious injury. Qb's that don't run have had more than that. If it happens again and again then they have a problem.

Typ0
01-25-2005, 09:04 AM

why not? Running backs get a lot more carries than he does.

FTG
01-25-2005, 09:05 AM
It was not long ago people were saying the same thing about Mcnabb as they are Vick now. Now McNabb is pretty much a pocket passer that runs in crucial times. I'd give Vick a couple more years.

Historian
01-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I just don't understand the hype? He was injured for most of his college career, and has played only 1 full season without injury as a professional.

Because the powers that be don't really care about wins and losses. They're trying to sell a product.

Sad really, but true.

STAMPY
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
why not? Running backs get a lot more carries than he does.

GREAT POINT

jdbillsfan
01-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Vick is 24 years old and when he plays, they win. They made it to the NFC championship game with not much at WR, Dunn and Duckett as the RB and a decent defense.

He's also missed a season, so bascially 3 years in the league and 2 playoffs. Teams game plan to stop Vick. That's all they need to game plan for. Ask a Defense player who is the hardest guy to game plan for and its Vick. He just needs more time in the league, more experience and a WR who can make plays for him.

Gunzlingr
01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
What good are good receivers when you can't throw the ball acurately? Remember, you can't bounce passes off the turf if you want to complete a pass.

Mr. Cynical
01-25-2005, 03:56 PM

I think that gets overblown. He's had 1 serious injury. Qb's that don't run have had more than that. If it happens again and again then they have a problem.

It was not long ago people were saying the same thing about Mcnabb as they are Vick now. Now McNabb is pretty much a pocket passer that runs in crucial times. I'd give Vick a couple more years.
All great points. Pos rep coming. :up:

I love how people are all over him after he's had only 2 full seasons in the league. Talk about being impatient and jumping the gun.

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2005, 04:05 PM
There is no doubt that he is overpaid and overated. Hell the guy got an MVP vote. WTF????

Bill Brasky
01-25-2005, 06:40 PM

I've been barking up this tree for 2 years now, and most people think I'm insane. Yeah, he is extremely talented as far as an athlete is concerned, but as a QB he is very overrated.