PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Free Agents

ghz in pittsburgh
01-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Given the fact that TD and MM are both familiar with the Steelers personnel - especially Mularkey - I'd not be surprised that they go after a couple of them.

Starting WR Burress is, of course, going to be the prime WR free agent in the market. There is some talk from the Steelers to put the franchise tag on him, but more likely they won't. A very talented athlete who is the favorite of Ben, but he is incredibly immature and does not work very hard - on and off the field, the anti-Hines Ward. I expect the Falcons, the Ravens (and he knows it, too) to throw a ton of money at him but not the Bills.

Keydrick Vincent, starting RG. First year starter. Made the team as a rookie FA in 2001 backing Fenaca, he has made improvement steadily under Ross Grimm. This is a guy I think the Bills may actually go after because he is not going to be very expensive. But the Steelers may beat the Bills to it as they have about a month to negotiate with him exclusively.

Oliver Ross, starting RT. A major liability during Mularkey's time in Pittsburgh but played solid like the rest of his line mates this season. I don't know what to make of him. Will Mularkey still have those imprints in his mind of Ross's bad plays from the past? If you have to pick on the Steelers outstanding O-Line play this year, Ross is the weak link.

Kendrell Bell, starting middle linebacker when he's healthy. Rookie of the year in 2001, but seemed unable to stay healthy the subsequent years. Missed almost all of 2002, and played only 3 games this year. He was such a play maker in 2001 that it turned around the entire defense. Is he another Sam Cowert or Jeremy Trotter?

Chad Scott is expected to be released and the old Willie Williams will be available, too. I just don't think they are good at all to even be looked at.

Ebenezer
01-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Given the fact that TD and MM are both familiar with the Steelers personnel - especially Mularkey - I'd not be surprised that they go after a couple of them.

Starting WR Burress is, of course, going to be the prime WR free agent in the market. There is some talk from the Steelers to put the franchise tag on him, but more likely they won't. A very talented athlete who is the favorite of Ben, but he is incredibly immature and does not work very hard - on and off the field, the anti-Hines Ward. I expect the Falcons, the Ravens (and he knows it, too) to throw a ton of money at him but not the Bills.

Keydrick Vincent, starting RG. First year starter. Made the team as a rookie FA in 2001 backing Fenaca, he has made improvement steadily under Ross Grimm. This is a guy I think the Bills may actually go after because he is not going to be very expensive. But the Steelers may beat the Bills to it as they have about a month to negotiate with him exclusively.

Oliver Ross, starting RT. A major liability during Mularkey's time in Pittsburgh but played solid like the rest of his line mates this season. I don't know what to make of him. Will Mularkey still have those imprints in his mind of Ross's bad plays from the past? If you have to pick on the Steelers outstanding O-Line play this year, Ross is the weak link.

Kendrell Bell, starting middle linebacker when he's healthy. Rookie of the year in 2001, but seemed unable to stay healthy the subsequent years. Missed almost all of 2002, and played only 3 games this year. He was such a play maker in 2001 that it turned around the entire defense. Is he another Sam Cowert or Jeremy Trotter?

Chad Scott is expected to be released and the old Willie Williams will be available, too. I just don't think they are good at all to even be looked at.
I'd go for Vincent...pass on the others.

Michael82
01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
The only Steeler FA that I want is their kicker...

Jeff Reed :pray:

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd welcome the Bus with open arms, pretty sure he's a FA if he doesn't retire. Imagine him coming into a game and pounding the hell out of a D after Willis has shredded them to pieces?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Bettis has two years left on his restructured contract last year, so he is not free at all. However, these two years has salaries of $3-4 million each, which means they need to restructure it again should he return. Bettis has publicly said money is not a concern. Whether he can still get it done on the field is. He also ruled out going somewhere else.

To me I stay away from an athlete who qustions himself whether he can still do it on the field.

Michael82
01-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Jeff Reed is a restricted FA and he was originally undrafted. He may cost a lot, but would be worth it, IMO.

Charlieguide
01-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I truly hope we stay away from Plaxico. For a 'star' wideout, he leaves much to be desired.

RG Vincent sounds interesting, but I've never noticed him.

Kendrell Bell might be a bargain, but we don't need starting LB's, unless we go back to the 3-4. Still, a few unlucky injuries shouldn't define a career; Big Ted Washington was hurt a lot in SF, wasn't he?

With the shortage of kickers in the league, I'd expect the Steelers to lock Reed up before FA starts. I still expect the Bills to draft Mike Nugent (K Ohio State) in the 2nd round, maybe 3d.

helmetguy
01-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Going unnoticed as a Guard isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just quietly "Gittin' 'er Done."

ghz in pittsburgh
01-25-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure about Jeff Reed. He had a bad year last year, and he's never noted to have a strong leg.

I know Burress isn't coming to Buffalo, but I'll tell you one thing. All the passers loved him - Maddox, Beg Ben. Only kordell cannot get the ball to him.

jamze132
01-25-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure about Jeff Reed. He had a bad year last year, and he's never noted to have a strong leg.

I know Burress isn't coming to Buffalo, but I'll tell you one thing. All the passers loved him - Maddox, Beg Ben. Only kordell cannot get the ball to him.

Uh... I would stay away from Lindel. He doesn't have a strong leg and he sucks! I would welcome Reed.

Bill Brasky
01-25-2005, 06:37 PM

The only one the Bills might go after is Vincent, though I'd love to see Burress here. I've liked him ever since his college days, but the Bills don't need to/won't go after him.