PDA

View Full Version : Here's a bit of a longshot.

mchurchfie
01-25-2005, 10:54 AM
It is known that Parcells still has a lot of regard for Bledsoe and wouldn't mind having him. Package up Drew with our number two pick and broker a deal to get our number one pick back from Dallas. It is a bit of a longshot for that to happen because Parcells is pretty shrewd but you never know.:idunno:

EDS
01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
No chance.

Billz_fan
01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
It's not impossible but I don't see Dallas trying to fill there QB position with another "bandade" type of player who's best days are behind him. I think they are gonna try and see if Henson is gonna be able to do it or not. They may very well end up drafting a QB also.

OpIv37
01-25-2005, 11:07 AM
I think we need to back up a little. First, is there anyone we're really dying to get with that pick? Thanks to our late-season win streak, that pick is late in the first round in a draft that's not incredibly deep. Second, will anyone bite on a trade for Bledsoe at this point in his career? There are definitely some teams out there that need QB help, but they will not pay a big price for Bledsoe. Even in a weak draft, a first rounder seems like too much.

Third, if we did trade Bledsoe, we'd have a different sort of QB problem- we'd still have to find a backup for Losman (or someone to compete with him for the starting job) in a league that lacks QB talent at the moment.

jamze132
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
I think we need to back up a little. First, is there anyone we're really dying to get with that pick? Thanks to our late-season win streak, that pick is late in the first round in a draft that's not incredibly deep. Second, will anyone bite on a trade for Bledsoe at this point in his career? There are definitely some teams out there that need QB help, but they will not pay a big price for Bledsoe. Even in a weak draft, a first rounder seems like too much.

Third, if we did trade Bledsoe, we'd have a different sort of QB problem- we'd still have to find a backup for Losman (or someone to compete with him for the starting job) in a league that lacks QB talent at the moment.

Correctomundo!!! Besides who the hell would trade for Drew anyways? Maybe Miami if we're lucky.

trapezeus
01-25-2005, 11:40 AM
trade drew to the waivers list if he doesn't want to take the pay cut and what the coaches have in mind. in return we get piece of mind that a new era starts. i'd take that in a heart beat.

mysticsoto
01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Is Bledsoe worth a 2nd round draft? How about 3rd? I thought Shane did well as backup. Remember that now he's got a year under his belt on how things are run here and will be in from the start next year to grasp our offense better. And we could always bring back Travis Brown for 3rd string or Zolman (or draft). This way we get a middle round draft pick (I think he's worth a 3rd) and cap relief. Since we are banking on the future with Losman anyway, we might as well bite the bullet and just do it. That extra draft pick along with the 2nd draft pick could then be used to shore up that O-line to help protect Losman AND also have decent backups when a starter goes down (which we don't - except for Price). The cap space freed by Bledsoe could also help in luring a free agent here or in keeping Jennings. I'm kind of luke warm on Jonas though. Sometimes he does really good and sometimes he plays poorly. Somehow I don't think that giving him more money will be a great incentive to play better - unless they structure his new contract in that way...

So in summary, trading Bledsoe away to get an extra middle round draft pick, cap relief, and possibly keeping Jennings (and P. Williams). I'd say that's worth it!

What does everyone think?

mchurchfie
01-25-2005, 12:02 PM
As bad as he plays at times I do believe that there is still some trade value in Drew.

OpIv37
01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I could see getting a 3rd for Bledsoe and freeing up the cap space to keep Williams and Jennings. The QB pool is weak enough that it's possible. But I would still want a QB with some experience to back up Losman- Brown and Zolman have shown some talent but have zero experience, which is a huge factor in the NFL.

Also, does anyone think we need a 3rd receiver and/or pass catching TE to help Losman? Reed doesn't seem to be able to get it done- Campbell's a decent TE if he's healthy.

The Natrix
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't see anyone giving anything for bledsoe, except a 1 mil, one year contract after the bills cut him soon.

Tatonka
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
can someone show me where parcells said he still wants bledsoes? i heard on espn radio not long ago that even if bledsoe was a FA, parcells wouldnt necessarily go after him.

mchurchfie
01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
can someone show me where parcells said he still wants bledsoes? i heard on espn radio not long ago that even if bledsoe was a FA, parcells wouldnt necessarily go after him.
Buffalo News......Bledsoe might have another landing spot. Among the teams with an uncertain quarterback situation is Dallas, coached by Bill Parcells. He is a Bledsoe admirer and coached Bledsoe in New England. Dallas was quarterbacked this season by 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050125/1037777.asp

Bledsoe doesn't need Buffalo. He needs to save face. No doubt, his agent is searching for a team where Drew could be the starter. If not, there must be a team or two willing to give him an honest chance to compete for a starting job. There's talk that his old boss, Bill Parcells, would like to have him in Dallas.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050125/1062321.asp

TigerJ
01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
If Bledsoe doesn't start in Buffalo, and the odds that he'll stay are dropping every day, I don't see him starting anywhere else. His best chance is to go to a team where there are good odds the starter won't make it through the season. I wish him well.

Mr. Cynical
01-25-2005, 12:49 PM
But the Bills have to be wondering how much farther they can get with Bledsoe after a season in which they went 9-7 with the No. 2-rated defense and the No. 1-rated special teams in the NFL. They also want to speed the development of Losman, in whom they invested a No. 1 draft pick last April. (They also spent second- and fifth-round picks to make the Losman selection.)
:10:

It could not have been said any better.