PDA

View Full Version : If lets say JP struggles...

STAMPY
01-25-2005, 08:02 PM
and team goes 0-5? Would you want to go back to Drew? or stick with him

Just wondering, not saying i wanna

ScottLawrence
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Stick with him.

No question.

YardRat
01-25-2005, 08:04 PM
You're assuming Drew's going to be here to begin with, aren't you? :D

OpIv37
01-25-2005, 08:04 PM
If we're 0-5, who cares? the season's shot and we won't make the playoffs (2004 ring a bell?). Might as well let JP take his rookie lumps and gain experience if the season's already ruined.

wazz
01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
if Losman is playing bad, and it looks like going 0-5, it's too late and the coaches should all be fired.

next year is playoffs without question. IF Losman genuinely wins the starters job from Bledsoe, goes in and struggles. and we are 0-2 starring 0-3 in the face, the coaches better start getting DB ready. Of course, if Losman beats out Bledsoe in camp it suggests he's better, but Experience is priceless and whilst i believe Losman should get his, it shouldn't be at the expense of the team.

Losman should not and will not be allowed to get to 0-5

OpIv37
01-25-2005, 08:08 PM
if Losman is playing bad, and it looks like going 0-5, it's too late and the coaches should all be fired.

next year is playoffs without question. IF Losman genuinely wins the starters job from Bledsoe, goes in and struggles. and we are 0-2 starring 0-3 in the face, the coaches better start getting DB ready. Of course, if Losman beats out Bledsoe in camp it suggests he's better, but Experience is priceless and whilst i believe Losman should get his, it shouldn't be at the expense of the team.

great post

Drewpac
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
If we go with Losman, we must stick with him the whole way. There's no point in pulling him if we start 0-5. For this reason, it makes sense to start the season with DB as the starter and to replace him with JP when he falters, OR to cut DB and name JP the starter during the offseason. I don't think it is healthy for JP's confidence to have to look over his shoulder at Bledsoe.

wazz
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
healthy or not. this team CAN win, and if it's not, you have to change the thing causing the innaccurate results. IF it's Losman, and he simply aint ready, try and save the team. Losman still has a long career ahead of him. If he goes in, faulters and isn't ready, we are in an enviable position of having the option to put someone in to give Losman the little time he needs.

Losmans biggest asset will be to be patient. his time WILL come, he has to know this, and he has to understand this. Yes every player wants to play, especially a first round pick, but if you aint ready, you aint ready, and when ur time comes, you WILL play. If he understands what "team" is, then having DB behind him wont be an issue, and he wont go 0-5 in the first place.

The Natrix
01-25-2005, 08:36 PM
If we go with Losman, we must stick with him the whole way. There's no point in pulling him if we start 0-5. For this reason, it makes sense to start the season with DB as the starter and to replace him with JP when he falters, OR to cut DB and name JP the starter during the offseason. I don't think it is healthy for JP's confidence to have to look over his shoulder at Bledsoe.

Yep. I really don't see Drew being a backup from game one. The only way I see Losman starting from the beginning is if Drew gets cut in the offseason which I think is going to happen.

Hemlepp53
01-25-2005, 08:39 PM

Agreed 100%... We better start more like 5-0 next season regardless to who we play.... :posrep:

Philagape
01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Remember that we went 9-7 (two plays from 11-5) with QB play that was crappy more than it was good, so hopefully it won't matter much who the QB is; our fortunes depend more on the defense, running game and ST. That being equal, then go with JP ... better to get crappy QB play from a young guy learning the game than from a lame-duck vet.

TigerJ
01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Typical indecisive me, it depends. How bad does Losman look? Does he look as bad in the fifth game as he does in the first? I would tend to be very slow to give Losman the hook, but would not absolutely say he gets an open ended pass on his play.

Demon
01-25-2005, 10:52 PM
If the coaching staff and management release Bledsoe or have him be backup for Losman and JP stuggles, like 0-5, like the post says, then i would put the blame for Mularkey, Clements and Donahoe because they have to make SURE their choice is the right one. I want Losman to play and i feel that Bledsoe is bad, but i am just a fan who PAYS money to see them play and not make millions like Mularkey and Donahoe. They need to make the right choice and Mr. Wilson is paying them enough money to make sure they do.

Crisis
01-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Nope. Stick with him.

Look at Carson Palmer, he started the year pretty bad, but improved dramatically throughout the year, and was playing lights out at the end of the year.

buffalofan19
01-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Nope. Stick with him.

Look at Carson Palmer, he started the year pretty bad, but improved dramatically throughout the year, and was playing lights out at the end of the year.
Yes, but by the time he got things going the Bengals were out of postseason contention. Playoffs are a must in 2005. People say "It doesn't matter, the Bills will have their future groomed for a run". If that is the case that will be like the 5th rebuilding year in 7. Way too many IMO. The Bills have most if not all the pieces together right now (except maybe QB), it may not be the case in '06. Defense is getting old and wuite a few contracts will be up.

Also, I seriously think people are overestimating how well Losman will do because they are so ticked off at Bledsoe (alot of which, I admit, is meritable). But the learning curve is going to be alot bigger and alot more frustrating than people think. Young QB's with his level of skill take more than just one year to hone them to a winning level. Even Favre and Young, to whom JP is often compared took a while. If I'm not mistaken Atlanta traded Favre because they gave up on him. Big mistake, but my point is a guy like Losman is rarely instant success.

Mr. Cynical
01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Stick with him. If he is a bust we need to know sooner rather than later. And if he is a bust, then TD has made 2 bad QB decisions and will have had a 5th non playoff year. That is grounds to show him the door IMO, but Ralph won't do it unfortunately.

So if JP is a bust, you better be ready for another few years of no playoffs. I'd say 7 straight years if JP doesn't pan out and they need to try again.

FTG
01-26-2005, 08:39 AM
stick with him. We won't start 0-5 anyway. We are still gonna have the same D and special teams that were near the best.

mysticsoto
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Also, I seriously think people are overestimating how well Losman will do because they are so ticked off at Bledsoe (alot of which, I admit, is meritable). But the learning curve is going to be alot bigger and alot more frustrating than people think. Young QB's with his level of skill take more than just one year to hone them to a winning level. Even Favre and Young, to whom JP is often compared took a while. If I'm not mistaken Atlanta traded Favre because they gave up on him. Big mistake, but my point is a guy like Losman is rarely instant success.

That's interesting, b'cse I feel it's the opposite. I feel people are overestimating what DB did last year. What game can you mention that DB single-handedly won for us? Which game do you think DB had a fantastic game in? I thought DB struggled the whole year. I felt that ST and Def bailed him out in those middle games where we finally begun winning and so took both the pressure and criticism off of him. I feel McGahee bailed the Bills offense out and began scoring. B'cse of this, we forgot that Bledsoe didn't really score that much.

Bledsoe had a few good bombs here and there to Evans, but all in all, he had what? 20 touchdowns throughout the year and 16 interceptions? So we are content now with a quarterback that can have 1 interception in every game? With a rating of 76? Think about it. We won quite a few games with 30+ points. And yet, DB only had 20 touchdowns throughout all 16 games. In case no one noticed, DB is ranked on the bottom of QBs in the league last year. If he didn't have a name, and was just a joe-schmo, I doubt anyone here would be talking about keeping him...

I don't think Losman could do any worse than throw 1 interception a game and try and score a touchdown or 2 a game. We still have McGahee who's going to be the main workhorse and we still have a good ST and Def that can assist while JP learns the ropes. But no one is asking JP to come in and throw 300+ yard games and win single handedly for the team. Teams are going to play to stop the run and that will help JP fire some shots. His mobility should help him survive long enough to find someone open. Keep in mind that his college team had a terrible O-line, and everything he did was based on his surviving long enough to throw.

B'cse we are not a Gilbride pass-only offense, I think JP can get in now and begin the learning process and still allow us to win!

alohabillsfan
01-26-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't think we could start 0-5 woulden't we have atleast played Miami once by then! :clap:

FTG
01-26-2005, 09:24 AM
That's interesting, b'cse I feel it's the opposite. I feel people are overestimating what DB did last year. If he didn't have a name, and was just a joe-schmo, I doubt anyone here would be talking about keeping him...

:10:

Historian
01-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Stick with him.

No question.

Agreed. How else can he learn?

DraftBoy
01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I dont know how people can say the playoffs are a must next year, we got real lucky this year to be so close and I think we can make it next year, but im not gonna say JP needs to make it next year or else. Thats just stupid. Playoffs would be nice next year but im more concerned with furthering development of Evans, McGahee, and Losman. Playoffs dont mean jack unless you win it all. Ask the Eagles.

jamze132
01-26-2005, 04:47 PM
You stick with him. But we shouldn't even be discussing this. I would consider his performance a success if his numbers are similar to Drew's this past season. However it's gonna be hard not be meet that standard.