PDA

View Full Version : The "Curse of Drew Bledsoe"

Michael82
01-26-2005, 04:28 AM
It was only six years ago that the New England Patriots were ready to move to Hartford. Six years ago, the Boston Red Sox could only watch in disdain as a mini-New York Yankees dynasty was in the making.

Six years ago, the Boston Celtics appeared poised to be perennially lumped in with the likes of the Los Angeles Clippers and Washington Wizards. Now, Boston has become the No. 1 sports city in the nation. New York has become the city of befuddled losers. How the heck did this happen?
It must be the "Curse of Drew Bledsoe.''

Until Sept. 23, 2001, the Patriots had never won a Super Bowl. The Red Sox hadn't won a World Series in 83 years. Those trends didn't appear likely to change. The Patriots had started the season 0-2. The future didn't look all that promising. Coach Bill Belichick's October record with the Patriots was 0-6. The Red Sox, meanwhile, would watch the New York Yankees play in another World Series.

Then came the hit. The hit that would change the sports fortunes of two cities. New York Jets linebacker Mo Lewis leveled a shot at Bledsoe's head on Sept. 23, 2001. Bledsoe developed serious internal injuries and never started another game for the Patriots. CLICK HERE for the rest of the article... (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13818430&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161561&rfi=6)

SabreEleven
01-26-2005, 05:18 AM
What about the Curse of Alex Rodriquez?

SabreEleven
01-26-2005, 05:21 AM
How hot is Boston? New York has a WNBA team and Boston doesn't. Boy, is The Hub going good or what?

:snicker:

Michael82
01-26-2005, 05:52 AM
What about the Curse of Alex Rodriquez?
Shut up. :mad: There is no curse from A-Rod. :pray:

Michael82
01-26-2005, 05:53 AM
How hot is Boston? New York has a WNBA team and Boston doesn't. Boy, is The Hub going good or what?

:snicker:
I was laughing at that line too. :rofl:

The King
01-26-2005, 06:28 AM
BTW Danny Ainge ruined the Celtics.

ryjam282
01-26-2005, 06:49 AM
BTW Danny Ainge ruined the Celtics.

I can't agree more. What the heck is he doing to them? Is there any end in site? I heard rumors last offseason that he was talking trades for Paul Pierce.... :shocked: What a ******. The best player they have had since Larry....

justasportsfan
01-26-2005, 07:21 AM
As much as I want Drew gone, I wouldn't say he was their curse. Drew as a matter of fact brought respect to NE. They were the doormats of the AFCE until he came along.

The King
01-26-2005, 07:23 AM
I can't agree more. What the heck is he doing to them? Is there any end in site? I heard rumors last offseason that he was talking trades for Paul Pierce.... :shocked: What a ******. The best player they have had since Larry....

It all started with the Kenny Anderson, Vin Baker deal. Then trading Walker set the team back about 5 years, now there are rumors to try and get Twoine back so who knows what the hell hes doing. We where in the EC finals 3 years ago, looking to be one of the best teams and now we are a joke.

pats-were-right
01-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Ainge didn't trade for Baker or Anderson - those were the work of Chris Wallace. Ainge inherited an absolute mess so to be fair he needs a couple years before anyone can say for sure how he's doing.

Bill B wasn't looking to be that good of a choice during that first 5-11 year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-26-2005, 11:05 AM
GO RED SOX!!!!!

helmetguy
01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Since we haven't been to the playoffs in five years, who are we cursed by? John Butler? Gregg Williams? Kevin Gilbride?

Historian
01-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Since we haven't been to the playoffs in five years, who are we cursed by? John Butler? Gregg Williams? Kevin Gilbride?

I think it goes back further than that.

Daryle Lamonica or Al Cowlings perhaps.

helmetguy
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I think it goes back further than that.

Daryle Lamonica or Al Cowlings perhaps.
Good point! "The Curse of the Mad Bomber." I like it!

carybillsfan
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Why are people in Boston so Obsessed with New York?? I never thought there was Celtics-Knicks rivalry...(i always thought it was Celtics-Lakers). And why is there no mention of the Bruins??? Maybe because no one could explain why they and the Rangers suck so bad, but somehow find a way to spend tons of cash on carappy players.

Jeff1220
01-26-2005, 12:15 PM
And why is there no mention of the Bruins???

Because 2004 was probably the last you've seen of them.

Mr. Cynical
01-26-2005, 01:03 PM
The Dredsoe Curse. Yep, I can Bill-ieve it. :funny:

jamze132
01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
As much as I want Drew gone, I wouldn't say he was their curse. Drew as a matter of fact brought respect to NE. They were the doormats of the AFCE until he came along.

Even more reason why if we can't keep him, we should ship him to Miami for free. I think he could really turn that franchise into a winner.

Iehoshua
01-26-2005, 04:32 PM
If any curse exists, it's the Doug Flutie Curse, for benching him in the playoffs when he's the one who got us there..

I don't believe in that crap though It's just a hype machine for the media to stir about. Teams lose cuz they stink, period. Blaming some mystical curse is an excuse.

The_Philster
01-26-2005, 06:02 PM
If any curse exists, it's the Doug Flutie Curse, for benching him in the playoffs when he's the one who got us there...Funny...I watched the defense be the strong point that year. Flutie stunk up the joint half the time

Iehoshua
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Funny...I watched the defense be the strong point that year. Flutie stunk up the joint half the time
..and Rob was a better option?

The_Philster
01-26-2005, 06:22 PM
..and Rob was a better option?

didn't say he was...but let's face facts...tucking the ball in and running rather than throwing to wide open WRs downfield was hardly an example of good QB play. He was more about being "the man" than about winning

Iehoshua
01-26-2005, 06:24 PM
didn't say he was...but let's face facts...tucking the ball in and running rather than throwing to wide open WRs downfield was hardly an example of good QB play. He was more about being "the man" than about winning
I think Flutie was a thousand times more about winning than Rob ever was. If you didn't care for Doug's style, then that's your business. I, personally, never felt like he was just out trying to be "the man" more than he was out trying to win games.

Still doesn't justify benching him in the playoffs after Rob plays one decent meaningless game...

The_Philster
01-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, there were a number of times I could see Andre or Eric basically wide open downfield and Flutie ran instead of threw. Usually got a first down but missed out on an easy TD.

As far as the benching, I agree. Flutie started the season playing well....sucked in the middle of the season...then started playing well again late. Had he been playing awful at the time of the Indy game, I think it might've been warranted.

Iehoshua
01-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, there were a number of times I could see Andre or Eric basically wide open downfield and Flutie ran instead of threw. Usually got a first down but missed out on an easy TD.

As far as the benching, I agree. Flutie started the season playing well....sucked in the middle of the season...then started playing well again late. Had he been playing awful at the time of the Indy game, I think it might've been warranted.
No Qb should be benched like he was. I wouldn't support the way that happened for anyone, even hypothetically if it was Bledsoe who led us there, benching him for the playoffs after resting him in a meaningless game would be plain wrong.