PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Steelerland??

Gunzlingr
01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Cowher: QB Exaggerated About Broken Toes

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH - Rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was exaggerating when he said he broke two toes on his right foot during the AFC championship game, Pittsburgh Steelers (news) coach Bill Cowher said Wednesday.

Roethlisberger told reporters Tuesday he wore down physically during the lengthy NFL season and broke two toes while scrambling late in the first half of the 41-27 loss to the New England Patriots (news).

Cowher seemed irritated Roethlisberger would go public with such a claim, that, in effect, suggested the Steelers gambled with the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year's health by playing him when he was hurt.

"We are unaware of any problems with his toes, OK?" Cowher said.

Roethlisberger didn't specify which toes were broken and wasn't walking with an apparent limp Monday or Tuesday.

"Ben does not have broken toes," Cowher said, talking publicly for the first time since Sunday night, when the Steelers lost an AFC title game for the fourth time in 11 seasons. "At the end of the first half, while scrambling, he aggravated some toes he has broken in the past, in high school and college. He mentioned something to Ryan Grove, our assistant trainer, and said he may have broke his toe. When he came off, he said he was fine, and he went back out in the second half and didn't say anything to anybody else for the rest of the game."

Cowher said the injury was never mentioned during his meeting with Roethlisberger on Monday and nothing showed up during the rookie's physical exam Tuesday.

"I talked to Ben last night, and got it straight from his mouth, and that's that," Cowher said. "He never broke his toes this season. ... Nothing more will be done with it; it's nothing that rest won't cure. It's sore."

Roethlisberger's statistics improved after the injury. He was 5-of-10 for 77 yards and two pivotal interceptions as New England opened a 24-3 lead by halftime, but he was 9-of-14 for 149 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the second half.

Roethlisberger also brushed off rumors he hurt his right thumb late in the season. There was speculation he wore a glove on his throwing hand as protection, though he discarded the glove for Sunday's game.

"I'm fine. I'll be healthy by next year," he said.

The vague answer was similar to that he offered after throwing two interceptions in a 20-17 overtime playoff victory over the New York Jets (news) on Jan. 15. Then, asked about a possible thumb injury, he said, "I'm not going to make excuses."

Cowher also denied knowing about any thumb injury

full story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=2&u=/ap/20050126/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_steelers_roethlisberger)

Historian
01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
I hear Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell are available...

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Broken toes? It is football you baby!!!! Tape those things up, take a shot and play. I think I would be more willing to say he had a broken arm from some of those throws.

STAMPY
01-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Screw Ben! He's a crybaby... Ask JP, he was afraid to run combines too... JP owned him, and talked smack about it!

Gunzlingr
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I guess I am surprised that Ben is making up injury excuses, and Cowher is calling him a liar. Not a very good relationship it seems.

mybills
01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Big Ben sounds more like a Big Crybaby.

SABURZFAN
01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Screw Ben! He's a crybaby... Ask JP, he was afraid to run combines too... JP owned him, and talked smack about it!

when JP has more NFL wins than big ben,he can start chirping.he can't even get the starting job from bledsoe.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
when JP has more NFL wins than big ben,he can start chirping.he can't even get the starting job from bledsoe.

Pretty tough to win the starting job while you are out with a broken leg....and once healed Bledsoe was playing (relatively) well and did not get injured....so where was JP's opportunity to step in? Do you really think that Ben's fate would have been the same if he had broken his leg in the preseason?

Come on, use some logic.

The Natrix
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't trade JP for BBen.

Iehoshua
01-26-2005, 04:23 PM
JP needs a shot. Can't do anything if they won't play him over Mr. Inept.

jamze132
01-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't trade JP for BBen.
Neither would I.

:tip: