PDA

View Full Version : FA O-linemen, and who would you get rid of?

mysticsoto
01-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Does anyone have a list of FA available for the O-line positions? Who would you recommend to grab? It looks like we will have cap space to spend if someone is worth it. What about draft picks? How do you rank the current Centers and other O-linemen out there?

It's hard for me to pick who to get rid of:

RT

M. Williams - Started out terrible, but played better as the year progressed. Still, something tells me he will never turn into the force that we were hoping he'd turn out to be. I really wish TD would make him take a pay cut or change his contract to be based on incentives instead. Ignoring the pay however, and just thinking of what is best for the line...might it not be better to move him to Guard?

D. Farland - Don't know how he's progressing, but didn't dress most of last year. Do we need a better backup???

RG

C. Villarrial - Played decently. But whenever he was out, we seemed to lose alot at that position. Needs a capable backup.

C

T. Teague - this is probably the biggest complaint from most people. And it's not that Teague is a bad player. It's that he's not big enough to be a *real* center. It'd be nice to draft or bring in a real, big, bulky, yet quick Center.

M. Pucillo - He's gone. One of the worst lineman I've seen. He's not even good enough to backup or be 3rd string!

LG

R. Tucker - I guess he won the fight here with L. Smith. But Tucker has been around before and never did much. So I'm wondering if he's got what it takes for long term, or is he just the type that produces every now and then. I thought he played well at C, but apparently MM and company thought he was kind of slow and not athletic enough - probably for when we pull lineman other type of plays.

L. Smith - good looking young prospect. Probably has alot to learn, but apparently has the attitude that McNally likes for the position. I look for him to fight for the position again in Camp later this year.

LT

J. Jennings - I don't want to pay too much for this guy. Sometimes he plays well, and other times, he seems to play lackadaisical. A "top" paying guy needs to be consistent.

M. Price - Good backup. Keep him. But I think he is better at backup than every week play. Still makes mistakes.

J. Peters - I love this guy. If we are worried about the TE position b'cse of injuries, I'd rather use him there. Who's going to tackle a 330 lb mad man coming at them? Even the toughest LBs and S will get hammered! Wouldn't I love to see Ted Bruski get hammered by a full speed Peters freight train! Hopefully he can fit into the offense more this year and have more plays called for him.

Besides getting rid of Pucillo, which is obvious, who would you bring in? And to replace whom?

And what happened to Justin Bannan last year? He played well that one game and they talked about using him more...but then never did? Maybe we should move him over to Offense completely this year from the start.

ShadowHawk7
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
We need a better than backup than McFarland, but I liked what I saw from Mike in year 4. We could definitley use a stud G or C to replace tucker/Smith/Teague. Teague, Price, and maybe a underrated FA or a day 2 Tackle, would fight it out assuming JJ is gone. Thoughts?

mysticsoto
01-27-2005, 12:57 PM
These are the possible draft picks I've seen ranked in order of how they might go within their positions:

OT

Alex Barron - 6'6", 308 lbs. Athletic and mobile w/long arms. Needs killer instinct.
Jammal Brown - 6'6", 313 lbs. Outland trophy winner. Great potential but doesn't have good work ethic.
Michael Munoz - ?
Adam Terry - 6'9", 324 lbs and could probably put on more weight - but is raw.
Wesley Britt - ?
Khalif Barnes - 6'5", 310 lbs. Very athletic but needs more mass and to improve in the run game. Likely a 3rd/4th rounder.
Logan Mankins - 6'4", 320 lbs. Can be mean/nasty but durability a concern.
Chris Colmer - 6'5", 305. 1st rd "potential" but will probably go in 2nd rd. Health concerns.
Calvin Armstrong - ?
Ray Willis - ?

OG

David Baas - 6'5, 323 lbs. Quick, strong and smart. Needs more mass.
Marcus Johnson - 6'6", 320 lbs. Good technique but not very mobile.
Elton Brown - 6'6", 338. Big physical mauler - can be dominant in running game! Lacks consistency though.
John Drake - 6'4", 370 lbs. Excellent run blocking skills, health and weight issues a concern.
Evan Mathis - 6'5", 296 lbs. Athletic, quick and versatile. Needs to add more mass and durability a concern.
CJ Brooks - ?
Sam Mayes - ?
Wes Sims - ?
Dan Buenning - ?
Adam Snyder - ?
Claude Terrell - ?

C

Chris Spencer - 6'4", 310 lbs. Great size, athletic and loads of potential
Ben Wilkerson - ?
Vince Carter - ?
Jason Brown - ?
Richie Incognito - ? (Cool name)

I guess I like Chris Spencer and I wouldn't mind him as our 2nd rd draft pick. Adam Terry doesn't look bad either - he's got the physical assets that hopefully McNally could mold - maybe for our 3rd rd??? For G, Elton Brown might be nice for our run-oriented offense.

If we keep Pat Williams as our DT, I wouldn't mind spending our 2nd and 3rd rd draft picks as:

2nd - Center - Chris Spencer
3rd - OT - Adam Terry / OG - Elton Brown

That would show commitment to Losman that we will protect him and give him time to execute! Having top lineman + his mobility skills is a sure-fire way to help him succeed!

mysticsoto
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Here are some FAs available:

OT

Orlando Pace, Rams - too expensive
Matt Welig, Rams
Barrett Brooks, Steelers - too old
Marcus Spears, Houston - too old
Ryan Diem, Colts - Hmmm??? Might be worth pursuing???
Bob Whitfield, Jaguars
Floyd Womack, Seahawks

OG

Marco Rivera, GB
Joe Andruzzi, Patriots
Chris Dishman, Rams
Tom Nutten, Rams - starting to get old, but still decent
Cosey Coleman, TB - starting to get old, but still decent
Jermane Mayberry, Eagles - starting to get old, but still decent

Man, I think the Rams are going to get decimated on the line next year. Bulger should be worried!!!

EM Bills Fan 80
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Alex Barron - 6'6 308 lbs. Athletic and mobile w/long arms. Needs killer instinct.

Florida State!!!!

I made a list of notable FAs a couple weeks ago from certain positions, here it is:

Quarterbacks

Drew Brees - UFA - Chargers
Matt Hasslebeck - UFA - Seahawks

Wide Reciever

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - UFA - Bengals
Plaxico Buress - UFA - Steelers
Corey Bradford - UFA - Texans
Ronald Curry - ERFA - Raiders
Tai Streets - UFA - Lions
Cedrick Wilson - RFA - 49ers
Joey Galloway - UFA - Buccaneers

Tight Ends

Antonio Gates - UFA - Chargers
Bubba Franks - UFA - Packers
Jermaine Wiggins - UFA - Vikings
Freddie Jones - UFA - Cards
Itula Mili - UFA - Seahawks
Chris Baker - RFA - NYJ
Cam Cleeland - UFA - Rams
Anthony Becht - UFA - NYJ

Offensive Tackles

Orlando Pace - UFA - Rams
Stockar McDougle - UFA - Lions
Walter Jones - UFA - Seahawks
Victor Riley - UFA - Saints
Tra Thomas - UFA - Eagles

Guards

Rick DeMulling - UFA - Colts
Ron Stone - UFA - Raiders
Terence Metcalf - RFA - Bears
Marco Rivera - UFA - Packers
Chris Dishman - UFA -Rams
Tom Nutten - UFA - Rams
Jermane Mayberry - UFA - Eagles

Defensive Ends

John Abraham - UFA - Jets
Carlos Hall - RFA - Titans
Raheem Brock - UFA - Colts
Alex Brown - RFA - Bears
Darren Howard - UFA - Saints
Hugh Douglas - UFA - Eagles

Defensive Tackles

Shaun Rogers - UFA - Lions
Chris Hovan - UFA - Vikings
Corey Simon - UFA - Eagles

Kickers

Adam Vinatieri - UFA - Pats
Jay Feely - UFA - Falcons

ShadowHawk7
01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
If we are going to address OL thru free agency mainly, I'd sign Ryan Diem at OT, to replace JJ, and Marco Rivera to start in front of Tucker/Smith. I'd consider a C day two as well. How bout Corey Bradford or Ced wilson to bolster our Wr corps?

Charlieguide
01-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I hear we'll be way under the cap; perhaps Pace isn't out of the question?

Also on the Rams, didn't they pull Nutten out of retirement this year?

And don't forget, Kyle Turley will likely not be with the Rams, either. Any word on his injury status?

EDS
01-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Pace is still out of the question.

mysticsoto
01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Ryan Diem sounds good to me.

I would try and get Chris Spencer (Center) from the draft though. I think there's a strong possibility that we could get him and he would be an excellent Center with loads of potential. Then Teague would move and be available to play elsewhere and compete for a position. The only other teams that I can see might want a Center early is Atlanta, Carolina and/or Rams. Atlanta probably being at the top. The good thing however is that our 2nd round pick is before their 2nd round pick. So barring a trade up, I doubt they would take him in their 1st round and we could probably get him!!!

If Mike Williams comes in way out of shape again, they should move him inside (on the left) and let Teague, L. Smith or R. Diem battle for the spot.

And there's still Justin Bannan...he wants to play, and did reasonably well for the short amt of time he was there. I wonder what position he might be best suited for???

mysticsoto
01-28-2005, 08:01 AM
If we are going to address OL thru free agency mainly, I'd sign Ryan Diem at OT, to replace JJ, and Marco Rivera to start in front of Tucker/Smith. I'd consider a C day two as well. How bout Corey Bradford or Ced wilson to bolster our Wr corps?

If we were to address the line through free agency (like getting Ryan Diem), I would be more than happy to go for someone like Vincent Jackson or Fred Gibson. Vincent is like 6'6" and would make a great WR.

But I'm not sure if that is more important, or maybe we should get a top kicker like Nugent.

TigerJ
01-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Ryan Diem has been playing right tackle for the Colts. don't know if he can make the switch. I don't necessarily write off Dylan McFarland. He's actually a pretty decent athlete, and with time in the weight room he has the frame to add the 20-30 lbs he needs. People write him off because he was a late round pick from a small school, but NE has been molding guys like that into starters for a long time. I'm not saying he'll be anything. I'm just saying, don't just assume he can't be. As far as Pucillo is concerned, I agree, he's had his chance. Right now he's dead weight. Bannan is a possible project, but It's one thing to learn a few plays with one basic blocking scheme. He would need time to learn all the stuff a full time offensive lineman needs to know.

TigerJ
01-28-2005, 09:08 AM
My sleeper pick at WR is Matt Jones, who played QB for Arkansas. He's as big as Vincent Jackson, at 6'6" 242, plus he runs a 4.4 40. Frankly, he would be able to line up at TE too. He's been taking reps at WR at the Senior Bowl and looks good.

EDS
01-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I think Jones would be an excellent developmental prospect as a pass-catching tight end.

mysticsoto
01-28-2005, 10:03 AM
About Jones...can he block? We seem to use TE's to block often. That's why having a big guy like Peters is a big plus!!!