PDA

View Full Version : Sam Wyche Says OPEN QB Competition This Year..

DB1111
01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Sam Wyche said that Drew had a good year and really re-dedicated himself in 2004 and was on a mission. However, they are going to take a long look at JP Losman in the Pre-season and he does not know how much he'll play or if he will start but JP is a first round pick and he will get a long look.

He said that Drew has been in the league a long time and knows how this works..

Wyche said there will be some good competition there....

the link is below, just search for 1/26 on the page if you want listen to it

Go to the 9:08 mark and listen away!!

http://wfan.com/joebsid/

Mr. Cynical
01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Sam Wyche said that Drew had a good year and really re-dedicated himself in 2004 and was on a mission.
A mission not to suck big hairy moose nuts? Ok, I'll agree he completed that mission. He managed to only suck small hairy moose nuts. :snicker:

Novacane
01-28-2005, 07:49 AM
He said that Drew has been in the league a long time and knows how this works..

No he does'nt. He still thinks this is "his team"

mybills
01-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Obviously, it's MY team! :up:

The King
01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
I see the competition being for the media and fans. It will give them a reason to go with Drew without having to explain their actions. They simply can say he won the job. There isnt much fans can say to that. His experience is what is going to do it.

OpIv37
01-28-2005, 07:56 AM
No he does'nt. He still thinks this is "his team"

don't read too much into that- he has to save face for himself publicly and keep the team's confidence in him, plus I'm sure he WANTS to start. Even if he knows he may have to earn the job, he's not going to discuss it publicly until the coaches say it first.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
I see the competition being for the media and fans. It will give them a reason to go with Drew without having to explain their actions. They simply can say he won the job. There isnt much fans can say to that. His experience is what is going to do it.

If they just wanted to stick with Drew they would not put on a chirade for the fans and media. Since when has TD cared if the media and fans don't like one of his decisions. If they were already secretly set on Drew starting why ask him to take a pay cut? IMO opinion they have already neuterd Drew by the lack of confidence they have shown in him in thier public comments the last month.

justasportsfan
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
His experience is what is going to do it.
what experience? His so called experience isn't an advantage. As a matter of fact, the only experience he has is getting blown away by good teams.

The King
01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
If they just wanted to stick with Drew they would not put on a chirade for the fans and media. Since when has TD cared if the media and fans don't like one of his decisions. If they were already secretly set on Drew starting why ask him to take a pay cut? IMO opinion they have already neuterd Drew by the lack of confidence they have shown in him in thier public comments the last month.

I am obviously just speculating, but I imagine most of WNY is split like the zone. And the "amigos" tend to yell louder than the others. The paycut could be a few different things they do have a rookie waiting in the wings so they are not desperate to keep Drew (I do believe keeping him is their preference). Drews track record for restructuring, and we have our two anchors on the FA market.

Once again I am just guessing, and I have access to way less media coverage in Boston, but I kind of see it playing out that way.

The King
01-28-2005, 08:17 AM
what experience? His so called experience isn't an advantage. As a matter of fact, the only experience he has is getting blown away by good teams.

What QB's didnt get shattered by New England?

and I am just stating my opinions on the matter, not really a debate.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I tend to agree with you that their preferance it to keep him. I just think they want him around as an insurance policy in case JP looks terrible in pre-season. Just from thier public comments talking up JP and saying really nothing about Drew makes me think they are anxious to see what Losman can do.

The King
01-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Its a tough situation cause Drew want stay if hes not #1, and I think your right they may want to hold onto him in case JP isnt ready. Thats why i do think he will stay.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
You're right.....Bledsoe wants to start. What do you think he would say if they told him they really want to see what thier QB of the future can do but that if he outplays JP in preseason he can start the season as #1.

Do you think he would rather move somewhere where he thinks he can start for 2 or 3 more years with no QB of the future looking over his shoulder or would he rather stay here knowing at best he will be starting here 1 more year with a young guy looking over his shoulder possibly taking his job the first bad game he has?

The King
01-28-2005, 08:50 AM
You're right.....Bledsoe wants to start. What do you think he would say if they told him they really want to see what thier QB of the future can do but that if he outplays JP in preseason he can start the season as #1.

Do you think he would rather move somewhere where he thinks he can start for 2 or 3 more years with no QB of the future looking over his shoulder or would he rather stay here knowing at best he will be starting here 1 more year with a young guy looking over his shoulder possibly taking his job the first bad game he has?

I think he likes it in Buffalo and he is on a playoff caliber team. If I am Drew I stay and give it one last run. He could probably still start somewhere in 06' but he shouldnt become a journey man looking for a job. I also dont think they will pull Drew after one game if its his job its his job unless things get unruley.

Drew introduced me to football being a kid in Boston. As a fan and huge supporter of his I would like to see him give it one more year and be successful then retire. So many players over stay their welcome and end up on random teams and fall off the face of the earth. I would like to see Drew go out respectfully.

Another angle is Drew can still have in impact after he is gone by guiding Losman along in those 4th quarter situations. Bledsoe was the first to approach Losman in NE after the INT, that stuff can help Losman mature as well. So as difficult as this situation is I actually see a lot of upside to it.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 09:09 AM
They may not pull him after 1 bad game but the fans and media would be going wild with a QB controversy. There would likely even be some teamates ready to try something else I'm not sure he wants to bother with that. Thats just how it will be if he's still here though.

I guess thats what he has to decide. Does he want to stay here and fight for his job and be involved in a QB controversy(there will be one even if he wins the job in pre-season) or does he want to become a journyman that will be starting for a team that's not probably not very good if he goes somewhere else. If I were in those shoes I'm not sure what I would choose.

The King
01-28-2005, 09:11 AM
They may not pull him after 1 bad game but the fans and media would be going wild with a QB controversy. There would likely even be some teamates ready to try something else I'm not sure he wants to bother with that. Thats just how it will be if he's still here though.

I guess thats what he has to decide. Does he want to stay here and fight for his job and be involved in a QB controversy(there will be one even if he wins the job in pre-season) or does he want to become a journyman that will be starting for a team that's not probably not very good if he goes somewhere else. If I were in those shoes I'm not sure what I would choose.

I dont think anybody could its really I guess how much you believe in yourself. So going to another team would really show a lack of confidence.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 09:46 AM
I dont think anybody could its really I guess how much you believe in yourself. So going to another team would really show a lack of confidence.

Not neccisarily. I could be confident in myself and just not want to put up with the crap. He's gonna be hearing the "do you think they may go to JP" question in every interview if he is not playing really good. Average won't cut it......especially if the team gets off to a slow start. He will be booed by some fans every mistake he makes or every 3 and out even if it was not his fault. Not wanting to put up with that does not have to mean he's not confident in his ablities.

If I was in the situation of already having a SB ring and tons of money, but still loved the game and wanted to be sure of playing I may just go somewhere else.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Also in any competition JP is more likely to get the benefit of the doubt than Drew. All Losman will likely have to do to get the starting job is not look lost in pre-season. Very few teams sit thier #1 pick QB for 2 years. Teams halfta see what the pick can do.
It was not fair to Kitna what Cinnci did by starting Palmer but the way it is.

The King
01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Also in any competition JP is more likely to get the benefit of the doubt than Drew. All Losman will likely have to do to get the starting job is not look lost in pre-season. Very few teams sit thier #1 pick QB for 2 years. Teams halfta see what the pick can do.
It was not fair to Kitna what Cinnci did by starting Palmer but the way it is.

Yeah most teams do it that way. Most teams would not have drafted a running back in the first round when we had Henry. Buffalo is not like most teams. Its 50/50 I dont think anyone has an edge.

Novacane
01-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Considering where it was a month ago I will take 50/50 as Drew non-believer

The Natrix
01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
bad news since I wanted him to get cut. Guess I'll just have to wear my Drew sucks t-shirt to the home opener and boo until my voice is no more (I'll still be able to make posts on the zone though).

The King
01-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Considering where it was a month ago I will take 50/50 as Drew non-believer

look at us agreeing :shake:

TedMock
01-28-2005, 12:40 PM
bad news since I wanted him to get cut. Guess I'll just have to wear my Drew sucks t-shirt to the home opener and boo until my voice is no more (I'll still be able to make posts on the zone though).

I'm ready to move on, too, but don't go that far. That's proving, all those who said some fans will just flat out root against him instead of for the team, right. Wearing a "Drew Sucks" T-shirt plays right into that. What if the guy comes out and has 250+ yards and two TD's? Then you'll look like a super-dumba**. I think his leash (if he's back) is extremely short. They won't pull him after one game, but two..maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if JP's starting by game 4 or so. I'm really excited about the prospect of JP, but I'm also very nervous.

Mr. Cynical
01-28-2005, 01:30 PM
:lmao:

Bled2Hen
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Drew loves Buffalo. He has a ton of money, I think he'll take the paycut. I love this guy, and I do realize he had an average year this year. I just really dont understand how he could come in, in his first season with Buffalo... shatter Buffalo franchise records... throw for over 1,000 yards in his first 3 games.. (maybe 4), a pro bowl appearence, and took a team to 3-13 to 8-8. Then, all of a sudden, 2 years later, he bearly throws for 170 a game. He gets booed everywhere he goes, and the people on this web site who loved him that '02' year all of sudden to them, he is garbage.. and he sucks... and you's bash the poor guy. I know he had an average season this year.. but I really think, next season if he is starter,, he has something to prove. Just like the first year with us, he had to set everybody straight, and show them he still can be a top 10 QB in the leauge ( in '02' he was the 2nd best in the NFL of 32 Qb's, only behind Gannon....) I think this guy, with another year with Evans, and Moulds. No more RB contreversy.. and if we get this guy a decent FB or a TE.. I think, along with our great D.... we can go far.... I rooting for Drew to stay... 1 more year...........

jamze132
01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I just hope this doesn't turn into Flutie/Johnson part II. I am not comparing either QB to the forementioned... well maybe Drew to Rob, but we don't need a controversy this season. It will put undo pressure on JP. Drew needs to be the bigger man and get behind JP if thats the direction management goes in. I don't think they should try to deceive Drew by any means. Honesty and trust are crucial as this could very easily turn into a clusterf#%k.

Billsouth
01-28-2005, 04:20 PM
A mission not to suck big hairy moose nuts? Ok, I'll agree he completed that mission. He managed to only suck small hairy moose nuts. :snicker:

THIS IS THE GREATEST QUOTE OF ALL TIME!! :bow: