Sam Wyche Says OPEN QB Competition This Year..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DB1111
    • Dec 2002

Sam Wyche Says OPEN QB Competition This Year..

Sam Wyche said that Drew had a good year and really re-dedicated himself in 2004 and was on a mission. However, they are going to take a long look at JP Losman in the Pre-season and he does not know how much he'll play or if he will start but JP is a first round pick and he will get a long look.

He said that Drew has been in the league a long time and knows how this works..

Wyche said there will be some good competition there....

the link is below, just search for 1/26 on the page if you want listen to it

Go to the 9:08 mark and listen away!!

New York City's iconic sports radio station covering the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks and more. Stream, read and download WFAN from any device on Audacy.
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DB1111
    Sam Wyche said that Drew had a good year and really re-dedicated himself in 2004 and was on a mission.
    A mission not to suck big hairy moose nuts? Ok, I'll agree he completed that mission. He managed to only suck small hairy moose nuts.

Comment

• regor
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DB1111

He said that Drew has been in the league a long time and knows how this works..

No he does'nt. He still thinks this is "his team"

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

Obviously, it's MY team!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I see the competition being for the media and fans. It will give them a reason to go with Drew without having to explain their actions. They simply can say he won the job. There isnt much fans can say to that. His experience is what is going to do it.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by regor
            No he does'nt. He still thinks this is "his team"
            don't read too much into that- he has to save face for himself publicly and keep the team's confidence in him, plus I'm sure he WANTS to start. Even if he knows he may have to earn the job, he's not going to discuss it publicly until the coaches say it first.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• regor
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
              I see the competition being for the media and fans. It will give them a reason to go with Drew without having to explain their actions. They simply can say he won the job. There isnt much fans can say to that. His experience is what is going to do it.

If they just wanted to stick with Drew they would not put on a chirade for the fans and media. Since when has TD cared if the media and fans don't like one of his decisions. If they were already secretly set on Drew starting why ask him to take a pay cut? IMO opinion they have already neuterd Drew by the lack of confidence they have shown in him in thier public comments the last month.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                His experience is what is going to do it.
                what experience? His so called experience isn't an advantage. As a matter of fact, the only experience he has is getting blown away by good teams.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

If they just wanted to stick with Drew they would not put on a chirade for the fans and media. Since when has TD cared if the media and fans don't like one of his decisions. If they were already secretly set on Drew starting why ask him to take a pay cut? IMO opinion they have already neuterd Drew by the lack of confidence they have shown in him in thier public comments the last month.

I am obviously just speculating, but I imagine most of WNY is split like the zone. And the "amigos" tend to yell louder than the others. The paycut could be a few different things they do have a rookie waiting in the wings so they are not desperate to keep Drew (I do believe keeping him is their preference). Drews track record for restructuring, and we have our two anchors on the FA market.

Once again I am just guessing, and I have access to way less media coverage in Boston, but I kind of see it playing out that way.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    what experience? His so called experience isn't an advantage. As a matter of fact, the only experience he has is getting blown away by good teams.

What QB's didnt get shattered by New England?

and I am just stating my opinions on the matter, not really a debate.
                    It was all

Comment

• regor
                      • Jul 2002

I tend to agree with you that their preferance it to keep him. I just think they want him around as an insurance policy in case JP looks terrible in pre-season. Just from thier public comments talking up JP and saying really nothing about Drew makes me think they are anxious to see what Losman can do.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

Its a tough situation cause Drew want stay if hes not #1, and I think your right they may want to hold onto him in case JP isnt ready. Thats why i do think he will stay.
                        It was all

Comment

• regor
                          • Jul 2002

You're right.....Bledsoe wants to start. What do you think he would say if they told him they really want to see what thier QB of the future can do but that if he outplays JP in preseason he can start the season as #1.

Do you think he would rather move somewhere where he thinks he can start for 2 or 3 more years with no QB of the future looking over his shoulder or would he rather stay here knowing at best he will be starting here 1 more year with a young guy looking over his shoulder possibly taking his job the first bad game he has?

Comment

• The King
                            • Jun 2004

You're right.....Bledsoe wants to start. What do you think he would say if they told him they really want to see what thier QB of the future can do but that if he outplays JP in preseason he can start the season as #1.

Do you think he would rather move somewhere where he thinks he can start for 2 or 3 more years with no QB of the future looking over his shoulder or would he rather stay here knowing at best he will be starting here 1 more year with a young guy looking over his shoulder possibly taking his job the first bad game he has?
                            I think he likes it in Buffalo and he is on a playoff caliber team. If I am Drew I stay and give it one last run. He could probably still start somewhere in 06' but he shouldnt become a journey man looking for a job. I also dont think they will pull Drew after one game if its his job its his job unless things get unruley.

Drew introduced me to football being a kid in Boston. As a fan and huge supporter of his I would like to see him give it one more year and be successful then retire. So many players over stay their welcome and end up on random teams and fall off the face of the earth. I would like to see Drew go out respectfully.

Another angle is Drew can still have in impact after he is gone by guiding Losman along in those 4th quarter situations. Bledsoe was the first to approach Losman in NE after the INT, that stuff can help Losman mature as well. So as difficult as this situation is I actually see a lot of upside to it.
                            It was all

Comment

• regor
                              • Jul 2002

They may not pull him after 1 bad game but the fans and media would be going wild with a QB controversy. There would likely even be some teamates ready to try something else I'm not sure he wants to bother with that. Thats just how it will be if he's still here though.

I guess thats what he has to decide. Does he want to stay here and fight for his job and be involved in a QB controversy(there will be one even if he wins the job in pre-season) or does he want to become a journyman that will be starting for a team that's not probably not very good if he goes somewhere else. If I were in those shoes I'm not sure what I would choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X