PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line- Guard and Tackle

OpIv37
01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Has anyone played these positions? The reason why I ask is because I am wondering why they aren't more interchangable. The skill set is essentially the same. Obviously, blocking schemes differ for the two positions, and the more a player plays at one, the more comfortable he will become with his assignment on each play. But other than that, is there any reason why a guard can't play tackle or vice versa?

TigerJ
01-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Does the back lot in eighth grade count? I didn't think so. We never heard of blocking schemes, just like we hadn't heard of stunting when we played D-linemen.

Devin
01-28-2005, 08:59 AM
I played Defensive End for 7 years and while I never played OL (bar Goaline situations) I think it has more so to do with movement and such. While they seem similar you really are dealing with two different skill sets. The way you handle movement of the DL and Linebackers, creating holes.....etc. An OL is an OL and the positions are similar, but Tackle and Gaurd truly do require two different skill sets.

mysticsoto
01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I played Defensive End for 7 years and while I never played OL (bar Goaline situations) I think it has more so to do with movement and such. While they seem similar you really are dealing with two different skill sets. The way you handle movement of the DL and Linebackers, creating holes.....etc. An OL is an OL and the positions are similar, but Tackle and Gaurd truly do require two different skill sets.

Can you be more specific?

Guards probably have to hold their ground more, right? As such, they probably have to be stronger, ideally bigger, and tend to be slower b'cse of that. They probably need good hand skills to lock onto their DT and hopefully manipulate him to where they want to go.

Tackles probably need to be faster to deal with DE's coming around the corner. Ideally they need to be able to push, redirect DE's away from the QB position and depending on whether it is play or run, they may need to continue redirecting the DE away from some time. B'cse DEs are fast and can spin, they need to have good footing to be able to change directions fairly quickly and be able to adapt to spins and still prevent the DE from getting to the QB.

This is kind of oversimplified, but what other skills do they need?

EM Bills Fan 80
01-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I played both in a HS a couple years back.

Both positions require speed. One big difference is in H.S. coaches prefer to pull Guards to the outside to block Corners/OLB and need to be light on there feet cause when the ball is snapped you need to pull out very quickly.

A tackle also needs speed however as on most plays they will be asked to block a LB or S when the play is not coming there way. Example say for instance, it's a toss to the left and I'm playing RT. I most likely would be asked to go off and block the safety from the opposite side of the field, so if this is the play:

SS FS

LT RT

It's kind of scrunched together, but hopefully you get what im trying to show but, I as a RT would be asked to release upfeild on the snap of the ball and block the SS who is coming up trying to tackle the RB recieving the toss and running outside of the LT. That was probably my toughest block as a tackle.