PDA

View Full Version : Sporting news report

G. Host
02-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Much-maligned RT Mike Williams finally displayed more than just flashes of greatness this season, which makes the Bills feel better about taking him with the fourth pick in the 2002 draft. . . .

Although Troy Vincent is the clear starter at free safety, the Bills are excited about the future of undrafted rookie Rashad Baker. . . .

Don't be surprised if the Bills bring some stiff competition for PK Rian Lindell. . . .

Hard truth: Turning the offense over to rookie QB J.P. Losman next season would be a risky proposition for a team with playoff aspirations. . . . more (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3364328)

justasportsfan
02-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't think the bills will overpay for Pat Williams. Ryan Denney did a great job this year and there's still Anderson who has great potential.

TigerJ
02-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Pretty much confirms what we've been saying since the end of the season.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
I don't think the bills will overpay for Pat Williams. Ryan Denney did a great job this year and there's still Anderson who has great potential.
Ryan Denney is a DE not a DT.

Novacane
02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Pretty much confirms what we've been saying since the end of the season.

Yep! They must of read the zone to get those reports

ryjam282
02-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I think if we can manage a 2nd rounder for Henry that without a doubt TD would seriously consider taking the kicker Nugent with one of the 2nd round picks. The other would obviously go to a OL....It remains to be seen.

mysticsoto
02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I think if we can manage a 2nd rounder for Henry that without a doubt TD would seriously consider taking the kicker Nugent with one of the 2nd round picks. The other would obviously go to a OL....It remains to be seen.

I thought about this, but someone commented and I agree with them...TD doesn't seem to rate kickers highly enough to take them that high. I think he is of the philosophy that you can find good talent for those positions lower also. Look at Moorman - he was undrafted.

Adding to this, Last year there was a kicker taken in the 3rd round (SD Kaeding) but normally, it's atleast the 4th round before a kicker is taken.

It's hard to decide who TD might take b'cse he can afford to take the best talent vs fill a glaring hole. Yes, we need O-lineman, but the draft is pretty heavy with good linemen. And although I was really heavy on taking a Center with our 2nd rd pick - maybe Chris Spencer, the truth is, the top 3 Centers are probably all good and we could go with either one. That means TD could wait until the 3rd rd if he indeed does want to get a center. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a top WR with the 2nd pick and added to an already strong core to complement McGahee better and add weapons for Losman. He will probably take a TE if he doesn't address it in FA for insurance in case Campbell and Euhus have trouble recovering. Neufield is definitely no insurance policy! I'm hoping he develops J. Peters more here also.

But I look for TD to probably take the best available with the 2nd round, and then begin taking O-linemen in the middle rounds, a TE and maybe a K. Any other positions such as CB or DT could be on a best available basis.

OpIv37
02-01-2005, 09:39 AM

I am absolutely in favor of bringing in a K, but I think there's got to be a better way to spend a 2nd rounder. Then again, if we get another 2nd rounder for Henry and can fill another position as well, I wouldn't be as opposed to it.

justasportsfan
02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Ryan Denney is a DE not a DT.oops, I meant Sape :snicker:

JJamezz
02-01-2005, 09:43 AM

I don't know man, I think TD has a real problem evaluating kickers - he doesn't seem to give that position enough importance.. I'd go so far as to say it's one of his biggest weaknesses.

He dumps Christie for Jake Arians... I mean Christie was on the downside of his career, but c'mon... Sticks with him most of that season, and finally picks up Graham, who even with us did well (most people seem to lump him in with Arians' performances). So he goes and cuts him.. He's doing a nice job in Cincinnati now.. Then in probably one of his better moves picks up Hollis, who has a good year.. so he gets cut too, over what amounted to about 300k that he deserved. And wound up paying that much or close to it for Ryan 'OK inside the 40' Lindell...

IMO, a position that singlehandedly puts points on the board every week, deserves more attention - maybe not a 2nd rounder, but more attention.

DraftBoy
02-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Wish we had kept Grahame....

ryjam282
02-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I thought about this, but someone commented and I agree with them...TD doesn't seem to rate kickers highly enough to take them that high. I think he is of the philosophy that you can find good talent for those positions lower also. Look at Moorman - he was undrafted.

Adding to this, Last year there was a kicker taken in the 3rd round (SD Kaeding) but normally, it's atleast the 4th round before a kicker is taken.

I agree to a point also. I think at some point he has to think to himself, that he hasn't given it much importance but it could have won us at least 2 games this past season and we would have made the playoffs. Hopefully he has changed his thinking a bit. Good undrafted players don't come around all that often, we got lucky with Lindell but for every one of him there is a guy that just plain sucks.

Sure, kickers are taken in the 4th or lower but look at the Raiders, no one is calling them idiots for taking Janikowski in the first are they? He gets the job done and consistenly leads the league in touchbacks. That kind of production is key and we could really use a solid young kicker in here.

Jeff1220
02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Are you guys thinking of Ron Edwards?

justasportsfan
02-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Are you guys thinking of Ron Edwards?ypu. He had 4 sacks and was steady in limited time. I think this guy is ready under Krumrie.

juice
02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't know man, I think TD has a real problem evaluating kickers - he doesn't seem to give that position enough importance.. I'd go so far as to say it's one of his biggest weaknesses.

He dumps Christie for Jake Arians... I mean Christie was on the downside of his career, but c'mon... Sticks with him most of that season, and finally picks up Graham, who even with us did well (most people seem to lump him in with Arians' performances). So he goes and cuts him.. He's doing a nice job in Cincinnati now.. Then in probably one of his better moves picks up Hollis, who has a good year.. so he gets cut too, over what amounted to about 300k that he deserved. And wound up paying that much or close to it for Ryan 'OK inside the 40' Lindell...

IMO, a position that singlehandedly puts points on the board every week, deserves more attention - maybe not a 2nd rounder, but more attention.I wouldn't say that kicker evaluation is a weakness for TD, I think he just doesn't place that level of importance on using a pick on top kickers.

Lindell had a good year as far as accuracy- and TD used his Pro-Bowl level Punter to pin teams deep in their territory when presented with the option of a Long FG attempt or Punting.. It kind of makes sense when you have one of the Best Defenses in the League.

If we run the type of offense that is invisioned in Buffalo, the long FG attempt will become less of a priority with the Offense playing ball control and Moorman remaining one of the best at dropping punts inside the 20 yardline.

TD has a history of getting the most out of average kickers in Buffalo.. Just not keeping them around or paying them more money.

I bet TD shops around at yardsales just to find bargains.

hudella
02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
justasportsfan what are u talking about? how can u be excited about Sape's potential? the guy has never played a game in the nfl in his 2 years here, he's prolly not playing because he isnt good enough.

buffalofan19
02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
He dumps Christie for Jake Arians... I mean Christie was on the downside of his career, but c'mon... Sticks with him most of that season, and finally picks up Graham, who even with us did well (most people seem to lump him in with Arians' performances).

Christie got injured prior to the 2001 season. It was either put him on IR or take up 2 roster spots for a kicker, or cut him. Christie's injury wasn't too serious that he should go to IR and Donahoe obviously didn't want to use up 2 spots on the roster, so the Bills and Christie worked out a deal where he could go sign with another team, much like the Travis Brown this year. Although Arians did suck and I do wish he would have kept Shayne Graham.

HAMMER
02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Pat Williams is a top three tackle, you don't replace that talent easily. I think TD learned his lesson when he wouldn't pay Big Ted and our defense went from third in the league to bottom three. If Pat Williams isn't back our defense will suffer greatly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Wish we had kept Grahame....
In retrospect of course, but he was horrible here also.

jamze132
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
A kicker is very important to a team even though it isn't the most glamorous or high paying job on a team. But we have all seen with NE how important a good kicker is. I would rather spend our only 2nd rounder on Nugent than go with anyone else who will be left on the board when we pick. The pick will pay off eventually. A few touchbacks would be nice. A few fieldgoals over 40 would be nice.

TigerJ
02-01-2005, 12:01 PM

If you check his Buffalo stats, they aren't that bad: 6 for 8 with a long of 41 yards. He missed half of those he attempted from 40-49 yards and attempted non longer than 50. But that's not really a long enough stint to fairly evaluate his potential. At the time I was in favor of Giving him another shot the following training camp, but TD and I didn't see eye to eye on that one. Maybe next time he'll listen to me. :star:

ShadowHawk7
02-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I like the possiblity of picking of picking a OG/OL w/ our 3rd and 4th, and a stud WR or maybe CB w/ our 2nd rounder

G. Host
02-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Christie got injured prior to the 2001 season. It was either put him on IR or take up 2 roster spots for a kicker, or cut him. Christie's injury wasn't too serious that he should go to IR and Donahoe obviously didn't want to use up 2 spots on the roster, so the Bills and Christie worked out a deal where he could go sign with another team, much like the Travis Brown this year. Although Arians did suck and I do wish he would have kept Shayne Graham.

Christie was put on IR and he was mad about being put on IR. They definitely did not have a "deal".

Michael82
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
He wasn't as bad as you think....

2001 Buffalo Bills 75% FG accuracy and 100% XP accuracy
1-19 yards (0-0)
20-29 yards (4-4)
30-39 yards (0-0)
40-49 yards (2-4) - Made 2 41 yarders and missed 43, 49
50+ (0-0)

XP (7-7)

G. Host
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
He also made a 48 or 49 yd FG which was called off because a timeout. Not a great kicker but an ok one but he is being paid as a great kicker.

alohabillsfan
02-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I like the possiblity of picking of picking a OG/OL w/ our 3rd and 4th, and a stud WR or maybe CB w/ our 2nd rounder

With the new rules with regards to the DB's I would like to take that burner from Miami Roscoe Parrish, he cannot be covered and it would give MM the motion guy like Randell el he had in pitts.

3rd round C/G
4th round C/G
5th round QB
6th round RB
7th round LB

If we get a 2 or 3 for Henry TE

B-DON
02-01-2005, 07:10 PM
parrish is not a great receiver great punt returner though. just my opinion from watching him play fsu and im not being bias,