2. Jim Brown
3. OJ Simpson
4. Walter Payton
5. Thurman Thomas
6. Franco Harris
7. John Riggins
8. Barry Sanders
9. Roger Craig

Simpson, Payton and Riggins barely had offensive lines and almost never played for winners...Riggins was punishing...Sayers was incredible...Sanders played for a loser his entire career...Thurman was the most complete back to play the game (the best receiving back ever along with Craig)...Smith benefited from an insane offensive line...Curtis Martin is as good as Smith...

Crisis
02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Barry #8? Crazy. He was by the far the best ever. If he was on a real team he would've been unstoppable. He has a 5.0 YPC on his career.

Crisis
02-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Emmitt isn't even close:

1. Gayle Sayers
2. Jim Brown
3. OJ Simpson
4. Walter Payton
5. Thurman Thomas
6. Franco Harris
7. John Riggins
8. Barry Sanders
9. Roger Craig

Simpson, Payton and Riggins barely had offensive lines and almost never played for winners...Riggins was punishing...Sayers was incredible...Sanders played for a loser his entire career...Thurman was the most complete back to play the game (the best receiving back ever along with Craig)...Smith benefited from an insane offensive line...Curtis Martin is as good as Smith...

Not old enough to remember OJ, but I thought he always had a good OL. The eletric company or something along those lines.

Ebenezer
02-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Barry #8? Crazy. He was by the far the best ever. If he was on a real team he would've been unstoppable. He has a 5.0 YPC on his career.

for every 80 yard run there were 10 gains of 2 or less or 5 losses of 5...he couldn't catch the ball to save his life...

Not old enough to remember OJ, but I thought he always had a good OL. The eletric company or something along those lines.

he had that line for 2 to 3 years...before 1973 and after 1975 he ran behind swiss cheese...

ShadowHawk7
02-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Since #22 is retiring....
The Cards might indeed trade that 2nd for Henry! I'd even take their 3rd and 6th.

Crisis
02-01-2005, 07:38 PM
for every 80 yard run there were 10 gains of 2 or less or 5 losses of 5...he couldn't catch the ball to save his life...

he had that line for 2 to 3 years...before 1973 and after 1975 he ran behind swiss cheese...

OK, so the same excuse used for OJ doesn't apply for Barry? OJ couldn't carry Barry's jockstrap.

I've never seen a RB do what Barry did. 5.0 YPC doesn't lie, especially over a 10 year career.

The_Philster
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
OK, so the same excuse used for OJ doesn't apply for Barry? OJ couldn't carry Barry's jockstrap.

I've never seen a RB do what Barry did. 5.0 YPC doesn't lie, especially over a 10 year career.What exactly did Barry do that was so spectacular? Are you talking about turning in mid-air? No one but he has done that on a consistent basis...since OJ

The King
02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Curtis is better than Emmit I think. Is that a crazy thought.

Emmitt has monster O-lines through-out his career Curtis Martin ran behind swiss cheese

The King
02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
What exactly did Barry do that was so spectacular? Are you talking about turning in mid-air? No one but he has done that on a consistent basis...since OJ

Barry is def the best ever.

TigerJ
02-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Jim Brown - He was a man among boys
Barry Sanders - Incredibly elusive, quick
OJ Simpson - Unbeatable combination of speed and size
Gale Sayers - If injuries hadn't cut short his career, he'd be higher on my list
Walter Payton - didn't have the greatest natural ability but may have been the smartest, most instinctive runner of the bunch.

ajsdx
02-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Jim Brown is the best of all time. In my mind, there is no doubt about it. Put a decent O-line in front of him, a decent QB to give him the ball and PA pass a few times per game, an above avg D and special teams unit, and congratulations. You've just won the super bowl. forget pass catching ability and all that nonsense. If you've got one pick to grab the best RB of all time, Brown's sheer beast ability overcomes all other limitations he might have had.
I put Barry Sanders second, but that is very debatable considering his teams were never that great -- which is due in part to Barry's NFL record for most times tackled behind the line of scrimmage and most total yardage lost from scrimmage. Payton, Sayers, and Juice are second tier along with Barry. Next are guys like Franco, Craig, Thomas, Smith, et al. I'd even put Faulk on that list.

Section 130 Row 26
02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Barry Sanders is by far the best. He was one of a kind, and still is. The Lions were always a **** team when he played for them, so it's too bad he never got a ring. He was a classy guy that never was flamboyant in his celebrations like Moss, Ownes, etc.

Jim Brown, Payton, Sayers, Murderer were good as well, but they played back in the day when d linemen were 230 LBS. and corners were like 5'4" with no tackling ability or range.

Barry played in today's NFL, with the 250 pound LB's with WR speed. And the 300 pound lineman...can't compare....oh yeah and spinning mid air to avoid tackles is pretty tough to do...try it sometime...Barry best ever

JG

ajsdx
02-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Barry Sanders is by far the best. He was one of a kind, and still is. The Lions were always a **** team when he played for them, so it's too bad he never got a ring. He was a classy guy that never was flamboyant in his celebrations like Moss, Ownes, etc.

Jim Brown, Payton, Sayers, Murderer were good as well, but they played back in the day when d linemen were 230 LBS. and corners were like 5'4" with no tackling ability or range.

Barry played in today's NFL, with the 250 pound LB's with WR speed. And the 300 pound lineman...can't compare....oh yeah and spinning mid air to avoid tackles is pretty tough to do...try it sometime...Barry best ever

JG

Barry Sanders is my favorite running back. Most entertaining and classy ever, and he even went out the best possible way...showing the world that stats aren't as important as doing what you feel is right.

However, you can't fault Brown, Payton, et al for playing in a league where the players were smaller or weaker...that means that they were that much more physically gifted than the rest of the players in their era. It's not like they fell out of the 1990's...you have to compare players to the other players in their eras: relative dominance of the game.

PUCKER
02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. Walter Payton
4. O.J. Simpson
5. Emmitt Smith

Dozerdog
02-01-2005, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=Ebenezer]for every 80 yard run there were 10 gains of 2 or less or 5 losses of 5...he couldn't catch the ball to save his life...
QUOTE]
Wys would be proud- "take away the 80 yard run and he's got only a 4.1 YPC"

Billz_fan
02-01-2005, 11:15 PM
By all means this isn't easy. I may not have the backs in order of stats, but these are the guys who come to my mind. I take heart into serious consideration along with stats and entertainment value. With that said here goes.............

I am 45 an have seen all these guys do there thing at least to some extent :D

1. Jim Brown
2. Gale Sayers
3. Walter Payton
4. Barry Sanders
5. O.J. Simpson
6. Earl Campbell
7. Franco Harris
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Curtis Martin
10. Emmit Smith

My favorite out of the bunch to watch play is Earl Campbell and Im surprised I am the first to mention him.

Mr. Cynical
02-01-2005, 11:30 PM
#1 Payton
#1a Sanders
All the rest.

Bill Brasky
02-02-2005, 05:29 AM
By all means this isn't easy. I may not have the backs in order of stats, but these are the guys who come to my mind. I take heart into serious consideration along with stats and entertainment value. With that said here goes.............

I am 45 an have seen all these guys do there thing at least to some extent :D

1. Jim Brown
2. Gale Sayers
3. Walter Payton
4. Barry Sanders
5. O.J. Simpson
6. Earl Campbell
7. Franco Harris
8. Eric Dickerson
9. Curtis Martin
10. Emmit Smith

My favorite out of the bunch to watch play is Earl Campbell and Im surprised I am the first to mention him.

He got serious consideration from me... as did Dickerson but I couldn't see putting them above the other 5.

SABURZFAN
02-02-2005, 06:15 AM
1.j.brown-would run for 2000+ yards today.who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up had he not got paid more for acting.
2.w.payton-he could run and catch the ball.ALWAYS in shape.played for some very bad teams too.
3.e.campbell-a monster!!!!bum ran him into the ground.playing in that dome killed his career too.he's still paying the price in real life too.
4.g.sayers-had medicine been more advanced,chicago would be arguing who was better.payton or sayers??
5.c.martin-the most underrated rb of all-time.grab a bubble gum card and look at the stats.he can do it all.he still looks as if he has another 2-3 years left.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:05 AM
#1 Payton
#1a Sanders
All the rest.
You are obviously too young to have seen Jim Brown play, and have the mindset of many young people: If it happened before my time, it is irrelevant.

Any list of all time great running backs begins with Jim Brown. Then you argue 2-5 or 2-10.

NC-BILLS44
02-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Gayle Sayers
OJ Simpson
Eric Dickerson
Emmitt Smith
Thurman Thomas
Earl Campbell

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Gayle Sayers
OJ Simpson
Eric Dickerson
Emmitt Smith
Thurman Thomas
Earl Campbell
Good list, NC, except Brown has to go ahead of Sanders. Barry was just too inconsistent. If I remember correctly, Sanders was once held to minus yards by the Packers in a playoff game. If Brown were held below 100 yards, it was big news.

Earthquake Enyart
02-02-2005, 08:07 AM
OJ Simpson was the best running back I have ever seen. :homer:

He was more powerful than people gave him credit for, and he had world class sprinter speed. Every play he was a threat to take it to the house. You can't say that about all the other guys.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 08:24 AM

He was more powerful than people gave him credit for, and he had world class sprinter speed. Every play he was a threat to take it to the house. You can't say that about all the other guys.
Brown - who was one of the greatest lacrosse players ever, and also played basketball at Syracuse - was a great athlete with an almost unnatural combination of size, strength and speed. I have seen both play and, taking nothing away from OJ, I'd have to pick Brown as the best.

Earthquake Enyart
02-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Brown - who was one of the greatest lacrosse players ever, and also played basketball at Syracuse - was a great athlete with an almost unnatural combination of size, strength and speed. I have seen both play and, taking nothing away from OJ, I'd have to pick Brown as the best.
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Jim Brown play. :ee:

But, in my book, OJ is ahead of Payton, Sanders, Smith, and Sayers.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Jim Brown play. :ee:

But, in my book, OJ is ahead of Payton, Sanders, Smith, and Sayers.
Sadly, I'm old enough to have seen Marion Motley - Brown's predecessor in Cleveland - play.

But I agree on OJ. It's really too bad John Rauch screwed up OJ's early years with the Bills, or we would have seen even more greatness.

TedMock
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
I advise anybody who doesn't feel that Jim Brown is #1 to go out and buy a video of him playing. He was head and shoulders better than all the others. There's not even a close second. I think Gayle Sayers gets short-changed because of a short career, but he was an unbelievable talent. I also think that Smith gets short changed because he played behind such a great line. Hey, you can't penalize the guy for taking advantage of a great situation. You also have to admit that he took some serious shots and was as tough as they come. Remember the huge game against the Giants with a dislocated shoulder? His durability is something to marvel. I hated him 10 years ago, but the guy was one heck of a back. I personally think Barry Sanders is a better talent at RB, but he wouldn't have worked well in Dallas' offense. He's a cut-back, and juke runner. An offensive scheme like Denver's would yield Sanders 200 yards every Sunday. Walter Payton was just the best damn ball player I've ever seen. Speed, power, moves, blocking, catching, throwing, versatility, etc. He's my #2 RB. So, I say Brown, Payton, Sanders, Smith, Simpson.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Now that I'm thinking back, Ollie Matson ought to be in the top 10, and perhaps Joe "the Jet" Perry.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I advise anybody who doesn't feel that Jim Brown is #1 to go out and buy a video of him playing. He was head and shoulders better than all the others. There's not even a close second.
Amen.

Earthquake Enyart
02-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Now that I'm thinking back, Ollie Matson ought to be in the top 10, and perhaps Joe "the Jet" Perry.
While you're at it, don't forget Cookie Gilchrist or Keith Lincoln.

mysticsoto
02-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I advise anybody who doesn't feel that Jim Brown is #1 to go out and buy a video of him playing. He was head and shoulders better than all the others. There's not even a close second. I think Gayle Sayers gets short-changed because of a short career, but he was an unbelievable talent. I also think that Smith gets short changed because he played behind such a great line. Hey, you can't penalize the guy for taking advantage of a great situation. You also have to admit that he took some serious shots and was as tough as they come. Remember the huge game against the Giants with a dislocated shoulder? His durability is something to marvel. I hated him 10 years ago, but the guy was one heck of a back. I personally think Barry Sanders is a better talent at RB, but he wouldn't have worked well in Dallas' offense. He's a cut-back, and juke runner. An offensive scheme like Denver's would yield Sanders 200 yards every Sunday. Walter Payton was just the best damn ball player I've ever seen. Speed, power, moves, blocking, catching, throwing, versatility, etc. He's my #2 RB. So, I say Brown, Payton, Sanders, Smith, Simpson.

Is there a place where you can get videos of the highlights of these guys in their careers? My best friend's b-day is coming up and I think this would be a great gift.

I myself am a Barry Sanders fan, but I'll admit that I haven't had as much exposure to some of the old greats like J. Brown and even W. Payton. But I'd be willing to watch and decide for myself who I think is the best. If there is some place I can order videos from on this, let me know.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-02-2005, 09:47 AM
1--Jim Brown--timeless player who would be great even today.
2--OJ--underrated because he had his best seasons in Buffalo
3--Walter Payton--"sweetness" says it all.
4--Barry Sanders---had he not retired early, quite possibly would be best ever...and might still be playing at advanced age as he did not take many big hits.
5--Gale Sayers---another who might rank higher if career had not been cut short
6--Earl Campbell---most punishing runner I have ever seen.
7--Bo Jackson--If career not cut short by injury...might well be in the top three...amazing athlete....almost inhuman.
8--Thurman Thomas---biggest double threat to ever play the game.
9--Jim Thorpe---well ahead of his time...had moves and power...and he could pass, kick, punt, etc...
10-Ollie Matson---was great despite playing on AWFUL teams...had he played for contenders...would be higher on this list.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
While you're at it, don't forget Cookie Gilchrist or Keith Lincoln.
Gilchrist, who had a fairly short career, might still belong on the list. He was a horse.

Ebenezer
02-02-2005, 10:22 AM
hey guys...great lists....let's get back to the original topic though...

can we agree that Emmitt Smith is probably not in the top 5 backs of all time...maybe not even the top 10?? And if we had enough old old timers around maybe not even the top 15 of all time??

Philagape
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
1. Jim Brown
2. Barry Sanders
3. O.J. Simpson
4. Gale Sayers
5. Walter Payton

TedMock
02-02-2005, 10:44 AM
I've seen Thurman mentioned a few times, and yes, he is one of the greatest double-threats of all time, but I'd say he's #2 in the double threat category. What about Marcus Allen? Here's a guy who had more speed than anybody at that time, he had a heck of a lot more power than he's given credit for, a tremendous nose for the endzone, a good blocker, and the best receiving back I've ever seen. I'd put him just above Thurman and Roger Craig in terms of pass catching.

TedMock
02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Is there a place where you can get videos of the highlights of these guys in their careers? My best friend's b-day is coming up and I think this would be a great gift.

I myself am a Barry Sanders fan, but I'll admit that I haven't had as much exposure to some of the old greats like J. Brown and even W. Payton. But I'd be willing to watch and decide for myself who I think is the best. If there is some place I can order videos from on this, let me know.

I would imagine so. I actually have a ton of highlight footage on several players. I was a big football junkie as a kid, and I am as an adult. My father gave me a whole bunch of these video's many, many years ago, but I'm not sure where he got them.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I've seen Thurman mentioned a few times, and yes, he is one of the greatest double-threats of all time, but I'd say he's #2 in the double threat category. What about Marcus Allen? Here's a guy who had more speed than anybody at that time, he had a heck of a lot more power than he's given credit for, a tremendous nose for the endzone, a good blocker, and the best receiving back I've ever seen. I'd put him just above Thurman and Roger Craig in terms of pass catching.

I thought the same thing...but decided that Allen was not as great a rusher as Thurman is and thus not as great a running back. He certainly should be mentioned in the same breath when talking about double threats...and he did have a heck of a nose for the endzone. I think you do and could make a good argument either way. I would probably put Marcus Allen at #12 or so, but that's just my opinion.

To the other point...no..I would not put Emmitt Smith or Curtis Martin in the top 15, but maybe in the top 20...maybe....

Mr. Cynical
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
You are obviously too young to have seen Jim Brown play, and have the mindset of many young people: If it happened before my time, it is irrelevant.

Any list of all time great running backs begins with Jim Brown. Then you argue 2-5 or 2-10.Unfortunately I'm not that young (I watched Franco Harris play), but no I did not see Brown play live. I have however seen a bunch of classic games with him in them, as well as a ton of clips.

I don't want to take anything away from what he did - he was incredible back then and he is most certainly one of the best of all time. But I still stand by my choices. You talk about Barry getting held to minus yardage in a game, but you also need to compare eras. The defenses that Brown faced were slower, weaker and not nearly as in shape or as complex in nature. How many 335lb+ DTs or 275lb+ DEs who can run sub 5's did he face? The game and the players have evolved alot in the 48 years since he started playing in 1957. This can be said for most (if not all) sports, but I think it applies the most with football given the extreme physical nature of the game.

mysticsoto
02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I would imagine so. I actually have a ton of highlight footage on several players. I was a big football junkie as a kid, and I am as an adult. My father gave me a whole bunch of these video's many, many years ago, but I'm not sure where he got them.

For anyone who might be interested, I found a website where they have old "game" highlights.

http://www.raresportsfilms.com/football.html

They don't have highlights of specific players, but rather games played...like the 1963/1964 Bills Season highlights...

They are $29.95 plus $5 for shipping...

Bills 4 life
02-02-2005, 08:19 PM
TERRELL DAVIS WOULD HAVE BEEN.

unpaid_bills
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
1 Walter Payton
2 Barry Sanders
3 Emmitt
4 Jim Brown
5 OJ Simpson
6 Terrel Davis
7 Gayle Sayers
8 Franco Harris
9 Tony Dorsett
10 Thurman Thomas

unpaid_bills
02-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Yeah OJ could really slice and dice the D

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-03-2005, 07:47 AM
TERRELL DAVIS WOULD HAVE BEEN.

Hmmmmm....I disagree, but maybe.

I always thought he was a product of a superior scheme and superior offensive line.

I guess seeing other not so great guys like Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson tearing it up under the same conditions made me think Davis was not as good as his stats say.

BBlades89
02-03-2005, 01:26 PM
1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Barry Sanders
4. O.J.
5. Earl Campbell
6. Emmitt Smith

ajsdx
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Here's the top 12 RBs of all time according to Dr. Z. Named a lot of the same guys we did, and a few oldies I've never heard of.

1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Emmitt Smith (no way)
4. Barry Sanders
5. OJ
6. Hugh McElhenny
7. Marshall Faulk
etc...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/02/03/drz.runningback.list/index.html

Can't argue with J. Brown as the best of all time.

mysticsoto
02-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Funny...just as we are talking about this, a poll in CNN's sports website comes out. Go vote for your top all time running back!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/index.html?cnn=yes

Mr. Cynical
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Seems about right to me.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollQuestion width=365 colSpan=4>Who is the greatest running back in NFL history?</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Jim Brown</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>27%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>6989 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Walter Payton</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>31%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>8103 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Barry Sanders</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>31%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>7922 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Emmitt Smith</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>11%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>2926 votes</TD></TR><TR class=cnnPollCountBG4><TD class=cnnPollCount width=380 colSpan=4>Total: 25940 votes</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ajsdx
02-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Seems about right to me.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollQuestion width=365 colSpan=4>Who is the greatest running back in NFL history?</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Jim Brown</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>27%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>6989 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Walter Payton</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>31%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>8103 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Barry Sanders</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>31%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>7922 votes</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#b8cce9><TD class=cnnPollAnswer width=155>Emmitt Smith</TD><TD class=cnnPollBar width=100>http://i.a.cnn.net/si/POLLSERVER/images/2.0/3f6991.gif</TD><TD class=cnnPollPercent width=35>11%</TD><TD class=cnnPollCount noWrap width=90>2926 votes</TD></TR><TR class=cnnPollCountBG4><TD class=cnnPollCount width=380 colSpan=4>Total: 25940 votes</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That means 11% of the people who voted in this poll were Cowboys fans.

Mr. Cynical
02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
That means 11% of the people who voted in this poll were Cowboys fans.
:rofl:

Uncle Jesse
02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
No doubt Barry Sanders #1 all the way.

Historian
02-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Payton
Sanders
Brown

Emmitt Smith wouldn't even make my list. The Bills have had at least three backs that were better than him.

ZackDolphins
02-05-2005, 07:11 PM
1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Barry Sanders
4. Gayle Sayers
5. OJ Simpson
6. Eric Dickerson
7. Thurman Thomas
8. John Riggins
9. Curtis Martin
10. Earl Cambell

YardRat
02-05-2005, 08:44 PM
1-Jim Brown
2-Walter Payton
3-OJ Simpson
4-Barry Sanders
5-Thurman Thomas (over Gayle Sayers)

Brown, Payton, Simpson, and Sanders are "given's" in my book...the only real dispute is who's #5? I gave Thurm the nod over the likes of Campbell, Davis, Smith, Dickerson, etc. because...

A) I don't take injuries cutting short careers into account (Sayers, Campbell) because being able to take punishment comes with the job.

B) Thurman still is, I believe, the only RB in NFL history to lead the entire league in combined yards from scrimmage four years in a row in an era when the multi-purpose back was all the rage.

C) I'm a Bills fan and a homer :D.