PDA

View Full Version : Surtain Given Permission To Seek Trade

BuffaloBlakely14
02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Surtain was given permission to seek a trade by the Dolphins, and they set no perameters on the trade it said on ESPN...what do you all think...Henry for Surtain...could it happen? He is only 28 and has 25 INTs over the past 5 seasons...Surtain, Clements, Milloy, and Vincent in the secondary, now that would be something...we do have some nice development going on with some younger players though...dont know if we want to impede that..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981681

capitolneal
02-01-2005, 07:28 PM
pass... need other help

The Natrix
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
waste of money

Bill Brasky
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
We don't need him, plus he's overrated.

Samphin1
02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
I would be more willing to listne to Surtain for Henry rumors than the McMichael for Henry rumors. The fact is, we have depth at the CB spot in Howard and Poole. I ESPECIALLY like the potential Will Poole showed in his rookie year. He is/was going to surplant Madison or Surtain soon anyways. However, I would think we want draft picks in return for him instead of players. I would be happy with Henry and a third for Surtain. Buffalo would never go for it, but it would make me happy. :)

OpIv37
02-01-2005, 08:17 PM
surtain would be a good addition but he will cost too much, and we need help at other positions. If we're going to trade Henry, we need to get an OL, DE, TE, or K, or a draft pick that can be used to select one of the above.

Crisis
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Overpaid, overrated, we could sign him at league min to be Moulds' official spit catcher though.

helmetguy
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Is this another, "He looked great for us on Madden '05" proposal? No thanks.

BuffaloBlakely14
02-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I will agree that we might not need him, but I dont know how overrated he is...he has the most int's of any cb in the past 5 years and he has been to 3 Pro Bowls, Im not sure that overrated is the best choice of words, but not needed may be the correct choice...

clumping platelets
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Nate Clements need a long term deal first

Section 130 Row 26
02-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Nate Clements need a long term deal first
AND T. McGee....Let's take care of ours before signing up a aging, green spandex pant, bright orange jersey wearing villan...yeah I said it...

JG

Dozerdog
02-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I would be more willing to listne to Surtain for Henry rumors than the McMichael for Henry rumors. The fact is, we have depth at the CB spot in Howard and Poole. I ESPECIALLY like the potential Will Poole showed in his rookie year. He is/was going to surplant Madison or Surtain soon anyways. However, I would think we want draft picks in return for him instead of players. I would be happy with Henry and a third for Surtain. Buffalo would never go for it, but it would make me happy. :)
For the love of god- what is this complete infactuation you have with McMichael?

Sure he's good- but for crying out loud- he's a TE. What- 5-6 touches a game? 50 yards per game average?

Unless you are Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales, you're not a game breaker.

clumping platelets
02-01-2005, 11:30 PM
McMichael wants a deal that makes him the highest paid TE in the league :rofl:

Samphin1
02-01-2005, 11:59 PM
For the love of god- what is this complete infactuation you have with McMichael?

Sure he's good- but for crying out loud- he's a TE. What- 5-6 touches a game? 50 yards per game average?

Unless you are Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales, you're not a game breaker.

It isn't so much an infatuation with McMichael as it is hanging onto one of only two real offensive stars that we have. If someone offered me Payton Manning, or Culpepper, or Tony G. or L.T., Randy Moss, etc. I give him up in a heartbeat. As it stands, Randy and Chambers are the only legitimate threats on offense, that means parting with them is harder to do than some of the defensive stars. Pat Surtain will always be a favorite of mine, but he is expendable. Will Poole is younger, cheaper and ready to take over. Reggie Howard, although I think he is overrated, is cheaper and able to fill in. Donald Lee isn't ready to fill in for Randy imo. So, trading away Randy for Henry kind of negates itself.
In essense, you basically trade on strength for another. However, trading Surtain, while painful, for Henry would allow you to ADD instead of REPLACE a threat on offense while somewhat weakoning your defense, yet, not crippling a strength either. Sure, Miami is worse off in the short run with Poole and Madison as the starters, but the offense would improve and the defense wouldn't fall off as much as the offense would gain. See? Simple. It isn't that I think Randy is untradeable, just that I think his personal value to Miami is really high right now due to his age, ability and pricetag ( for the time being ).

SABURZFAN
02-02-2005, 01:21 AM
I would be more willing to listne to Surtain for Henry rumors than the McMichael for Henry rumors.

of course you would.that would help you against the cap.i don't think TD would go for it either.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe it isn't out of the question:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/02/a1c_surtain_0202.html

Iehoshua
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Maybe it isn't out of the question:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/02/a1c_surtain_0202.html
I don't think it would be a bad trade, Henry for Surtain. An upgrade at corner would make us a better D unit. I like McGee as a player but think he'd be a more effective #3 than he is a #2. If this is the best offer we can get, why not take it? This would be better than settling for a 3rd or 4th round pick, especially out of this years draft class.

I do think both the Bills and Dolphins would prefer to do business outside the division, however.

DraftBoy
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Surtain for Henry would be quite interesting indeed. I dont know if itd be a straight up swap and Id be willing to bet Miami would need to send a DP over with Surtain due to his injury history. If Donahoe was offered:

Surtain, 4th for Henry Id jump on it. Surtain is coming into his own as a all-pro corner back and give us alot of insurance if Nate falters and I think McGee is best suited as a Nickle back anyways. Problem of course would be resigning Clements and Surtain but Surtain has looked like a stud in the past 3 seasons (only 2 of which he played in).

Section 130 Row 26
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
It dosen't make sense for this team to pursue him.... He has one year left, and will count 8.83 mil against the cap this year!!! An't we trying to talk Moulds into restructuring a similar cap number?? Let's sign our players (Clements, McGee) first. Our defense dosn't need the tinkering...

JG

Iehoshua
02-02-2005, 03:05 PM
It dosen't make sense for this team to pursue him.... He has one year left, and will count 8.83 mil against the cap this year!!! An't we trying to talk Moulds into restructuring a similar cap number?? Let's sign our players (Clements, McGee) first. Our defense dosn't need the tinkering...

JG
Personnel-wise, I think it's a good trade, but with the cap numbers, unless Surtain would restructure the deal, it wouldn't be worth it at all.

Novacane
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
CB is not a need......especially an expensive ex-fin. No thanks

Iehoshua
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
CB is not a need......especially an expensive ex-fin. No thanks
I wouldn't rank it in the top 5 list of needs either. I would definitely prefer to aquire upgrades elsewhere in exchange for Mr. Tee Hen. If that isn't possible however, I think we could do better than McGee for a 2nd corner. So proposing a Henry for Surtain swap(with Surtain getting a restructured new deal) next to having to settle for a 4th rounder for Henry, I'd take the Surtain deal. Hypothetically speaking of course. ;)

Section 130 Row 26
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
If we restructure Surtain's deal, then attemt to resign Clements and McGee next offseason, that means that we will have...conservatively... 3-5 mil cap hits for each player!?? 9-15 mil for 3 players on defense, AT THE SAME POSITION! no thanks

JG

Iehoshua
02-02-2005, 03:26 PM
If we restructure Surtain's deal, then attemt to resign Clements and McGee next offseason, that means that we will have...conservatively... 3-5 mil cap hits for each player!?? 9-15 mil for 3 players on defense, AT THE SAME POSITION! no thanks

JG
I don't agree McGee is worth a starting Cb deal yet...

justasportsfan
02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd rather take a stud DE than Surtain. Our passing D would've been so much better if we didn't have to zone blitz a lot because of the lack of pass rush from our DE's.

Section 130 Row 26
02-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't agree McGee is worth a starting Cb deal yet...
I'm not saying he is, but he can pose the argument that he's a two dimentional player. CB/KR and could hike up his price that way. I don't think Clements could ever make that claim, and defienatly not Surtain.

JG

youngunz
02-02-2005, 07:07 PM
I would not trade for P.S. a nice corner, but we have a greater need. I would like to see the Bills look to an explosive pass rushing DE, or even a solid TE. Plus, the price to get P.S. is going to hinder the cap and of course would mean a Travis Henry trade. Which I am absolutely not for. Travis, is now, the Wally Pip of the NFL. Since there is value for Henryit needs to be shopped somewhere else besides the AFC East.

jamze132
02-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Theres no way Saban would trade Surtain for Henry. Besides, even if they offered that trade to Donahoe, he would be a fool to take it since Surtain is going into his walk year and will want a butt load of money. We can't afford to have Clements, Milloy, Vincent, and Surtain in the secondary. But man would that be a defense though!

Samphin1
02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Surtain for Henry would be quite interesting indeed. I dont know if itd be a straight up swap and Id be willing to bet Miami would need to send a DP over with Surtain due to his injury history. If Donahoe was offered:

Surtain, 4th for Henry Id jump on it. Surtain is coming into his own as a all-pro corner back and give us alot of insurance if Nate falters and I think McGee is best suited as a Nickle back anyways. Problem of course would be resigning Clements and Surtain but Surtain has looked like a stud in the past 3 seasons (only 2 of which he played in).

Surtain has missed only four games due to injury in his career I believe. He has a reported bad knee, however, he denies that it is degenrative. Any pain and discomfort he has had, he has played through. You guys call Henry a "warrior" for playing through injuries, Pat has done the same thing.

I would hate to lose Surtain, especially to a division rival, but his contract is high and we have the player to replace him adeqautely, so it may very well happen. John Clayton is reporting that Miami will ask for a first and that any team that obliges would be getting a steal for Surtain. I think a first is a little high ( unless it was a low first rounder ), but I wouldn't complain if it happened. :)

Pat had one of the best interceptions I have ever sene two years ago on Monday Night Football. Favre was drving the Pack into the endzone when he through it into the endzone. Surtain knocked it down, but had the presence of mind, while in mid air, to stretch his foot out and balance the ball on his foot while bending down to pick it up. Mind you, this was all in mid air. It really was amazing to see. That is the type of player he is though. He is very smart and has great instincts, plus he stays out of trouble and kind of goes under the radar in comparison to Madison, who is very loud and proud. I would think Buffalo would have to send a DP along with Henry, not the other way around.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Trade Henry for Surtain, then Trade Surtain for a draft pick.. If thats posible..

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Surtain is too costly to be considered by the Bills at this point, period.

ShadowHawk7
02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Clements could too, he's definitley better than most PR returners. McGee will continue to improve if he continues to start. I think picking a 3rd/4th round CB would put enough presssure to suceed if you guys really thnik he's not starting material. Surtain would be a nice grab though. It's all in the opportunity, a la Milloy to Bills.

ShadowHawk7
02-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Clements could too, he's definitley better than most PR returners. McGee will continue to improve if he continues to start. I think picking a 3rd/4th round CB would put enough presssure to suceed if you guys really thnik he's not starting material. Surtain would be a nice grab though. It's all in the opportunity, a la Milloy to Bills.

Also according to that new news article, the Bills ARE among the interested for him.

justasportsfan
02-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Surtain would be one expensive spit bucket for Moulds.

PhinsFan66
02-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Patrick Surtain is a regular pro-bowl d-back...we would want a first round pick in return for him, or Travis Henry and 3rd rounder...we're not going to GIVE
Patrick away!!!

Marino13Phins
02-06-2005, 11:05 AM
To say Surtain is over-rated is just crap talk. He really isn't, just give credit where credit is due.

Nublar7
02-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Patrick is worth more then you guys are giving him credit for. Doesn't matter though, you probably won't be in the runing for this Pro Bowl cornerback since it looks like Indy and Arizona are the top two contendors. Indy is probably going to offer the #29 pick and it is rumored that Arizona might offer LT Shelton and a 2nd round pick.