PDA

View Full Version : Best Person who played for the Bills

Jayhawk
02-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Who was the best person who played for the Bills?

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:08 AM
While there have been many, I would strongly consider the great community guy and real class act - Daryl Talley.

Jayhawk
02-02-2005, 07:09 AM
yeah, I miss Daryl. Wonder what he is doing

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Last I heard, he owned a company that provides signs, barrels, cones, etc. for road construction projects. I hope he's doing well.

The open letter he wrote in the Buffalo News after he was let go - where he thanked the Bills, their fans, and the community for all the great years - was as classy a piece as I have ever seen, and brought tears to my eyes as I read it.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Talley will probably never be in the Hall of Fame, but he was the heart and soul of our defense. I'm proud that the Bills put him on their Wall.

Mr.Right
02-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Who was the best person who played for the Bills?
Rob Johnson!:clap:
I miss him....
:woeisme:

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd have to go with Bruce Smith. Definitely not in Talley's league as far as class and community, but much more dominant on the playing field. In the SB days, the Bills defense was only a little better than average, but opposing offenses would have entire game plans around blocking Bruce Smith. Few players ever get that kind of respect from opposing teams and it speaks volumes for the kind of player that Bruce was.l

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:37 AM
I think by using the word "person" rather than "player," this thread is looking for the Bill with the best character, class, and heart.

Bruce fails miserably in all three categories.

TigerJ
02-02-2005, 07:41 AM
I'll go with Frank Reich.

EDS
02-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Troy Vincent is supposed to be one of the most active players in terms of off-the-field community/education/charity programs.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
I'll go with Frank Reich.
Reich is a fine person and certainly belongs high on this list.

Pride
02-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Maybe not #1, but you would have to put Jim Kelly on that list.

He single handedly resurrected a football team and city.
He brought respect to an entire organization
His work with Hunter's Hope is gaining more an more recognition
He is still seen supporting the Bills to this day. Both on the field and off.
He has done alot as far as promotional ads, autograph signings, auctions for good causes, etc.

You have to include him on the list. And remember... noone will ever wear #12 in Buffalo again!

tampabay25690
02-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Well I think there are many players you can put on this list. But I would have to say the #1 guy was Jerry Butler, I attended his football camp Athletes in Action from 91-95 at Hilbert College, and it was some of the most inspiring time i ever had and I looked forward to it every summer. He use to have Mark Kelso, who would probably go in this list, and Frank Reich who was always there, would make this list as well. But that woulkd be my best Bill PERSON!!!!!

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 08:02 AM

He has done alot as far as promotional ads, autograph signings, auctions for good causes, etc.

You have to include him on the list. And remember... noone will ever wear #12 in Buffalo again!

Agreed. Also, when I was a kid, I got to go to Jim Kelly football camp for free. Kelly missed half of the first day, but was there for the entire rest of the camp. He spent time going to all the different age groups and positions, and even played QB during the touch football sessions at the end (the camp was non-contact, so no pads). Some athletes just sign their name to these things and make a token appearance, but Kelly was there the whole time and worked with all of us.

NC-BILLS44
02-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm with Jan on this one. Talley.

Tasker should also be on the list.

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I think by using the word "person" rather than "player," this thread is looking for the Bill with the best character, class, and heart.

Bruce fails miserably in all three categories.
agree on character and class, disagree on heart- Bruce played hard on the field and didn't take any plays off, at least not as far as I can remember.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-02-2005, 08:04 AM
If we are talking personality Bruce Smith doesn't see this list. I loved him on the field, hated him off. My God, what a whiney baby. Not just his demands for salary, but I have a great story about his mother, an out of state check Tops wouldn't cash, and a Tops manager that was slammed up against a magazine rack, ALLEGEDLY!!!

For me it would be one of two people, the guys that I met when I was a kid. Darryl Talley use to frequent an establishment I worked at as a young lad. Great guy. Jim Haslett lived two doors down from my grandmother on Crescent Drive in OP. I still have an old B&W autograph picture he gave me when I was like 12.

generalmills
02-02-2005, 08:40 AM
How about Chris Spielman...He took a full year off football to be with his wife who was fighting cancer. He is a stand up guy who puts his family first (even above football). Truly a class act!

Novacane
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Drew Bledsoe :peace:

Dr. Lecter
02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Mark Kelso deserves mention too. and actually, Rob Johnson was very involved with many organizations. It was kept quiet, but he was very involved.

Brian Moorman deserves a shout out too.

BillsPride12
02-02-2005, 09:41 AM
There have been lots, but definately Talley and Spielman should be on this list. I also really liked Don Beebe

Philagape
02-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Reich

TedMock
02-02-2005, 11:09 AM

These points are true, and valid arguments for. However, it took Kelly a little while to mature. Don't forget that he was an arrogant ***** for a few years. He didn't want to come here initially (not that I fully blame him), when he did there were episodes of grandeur. Heck, I worked at a restaurant during his early years, and he wouldn't look at any of us when paying, didn't tip, and wouldn't sign autographs. There were also several episodes of public drunkeness, and remember him hitting that woman in the face with a water-balloon? He injured her because she wasn't interested. Now, having said all that, he did a complete 180 and became an A-1 class act. He's also my favorite all-time player. I'm just pointing out that I don't think he's the best person that played for the Bills. He's a great guy now, but he wasn't always.

Ebenezer
02-02-2005, 11:11 AM
These points are true, and valid arguments for. However, it took Kelly a little while to mature. Don't forget that he was an arrogant ***** for a few years. He didn't want to come here initially (not that I fully blame him), when he did there were episodes of grandeur. Heck, I worked at a restaurant during his early years, and he wouldn't look at any of us when paying, didn't tip, and wouldn't sign autographs. There were also several episodes of public drunkeness, and remember him hitting that woman in the face with a water-balloon? He injured her because she wasn't interested. Now, having said all that, he did a complete 180 and became an A-1 class act. He's also my favorite all-time player. I'm just pointing out that I don't think he's the best person that played for the Bills. He's a great guy now, but he wasn't always.
Jim Kelly...no contest.

TedMock
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Jim Kelly...no contest.
:confused:

Ebenezer
02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
:confused:
:huh: I did not click your quote...I don't know what happend.

SABURZFAN
02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Jim Kelly...no contest.

:roflmao:

oooooooohhhhhh the stories..... :snicker:

SABURZFAN
02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
didn't ray bentley write children's books?

Mr.Right
02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I can't BILLieve that nobody has mentioned O.J. yet!?!?!? :shocked:

rtconner
02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Pete Metzelars.
Ok, i have no clue, this thread is dumb. Why isnt ralph in the HOF?

ricogarion
02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Man sometimes I wonder what people are smoking??? How could anyone select Kelly even if he now is ready for sainthood,that does not repair the early Kelly with his Primadonna like mentality and just plain boorishness.What a piece of work he was.I use to take my youth team to practice and show them the players which they loved.Then they would try to talk to them or get autographs or even just try to get the players to look at them.He was often the guy I heard the kids say they were noy sure about.They never really could understand where he was coming from.If you want to talk about a great person who wore a Bills uniform you should look at the "Arkansas Rifle" Joe Ferguson probably one of the kindest people I ever met who had time for a few words with the kids even after getting his brains trampled in a game.As a child I can never forget him shaking my hand and giving me an autograph and asking me how I was doing.I will always remember his kindness for taking a moment with a young person who was just a fan and to him not rubbish under his feet.Thank you Joe!!

The_Philster
02-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I'd have to go with Darryl Talley...with a 2nd place nod going to Spielman

Rob Johnson!:clap:
I miss him....
:woeisme:I'll bet...he QBed the Bills to a win over you guys in 98 :evil:

PUCKER
02-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I would also have to say #12 Jim Kelly!

The Natrix
02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Probably Rob. Hot tubs, chicks and surfing is actually pretty fun.

Honorable mention to Drew. He takes time after games to take responsibility for poor performances and seems to spend some time in the community. I hope he can come out on fire if he wins the starting job.

Can't argue with Darrell Talley, though. He was money in the comeback game.

Demon
02-02-2005, 11:18 PM
yeah, I miss Daryl. Wonder what he is doing

He is a sports broadcaster for some St Louis tv station. If you get the FOX sports channels, like central, midwest and pacific, then he's on one of those. It's like a St Louis Nightly Sports report but it's like 4 guys sitting round table, talking about some STL sports (the show is based in STL) but alot of sports across the nation.

It's a pretty good show, Talley does it well, i think he's one of the better ones on that show. I wouldn't be suprised if he makes ESPN soon. I forget what the show is called, I think "FSN Live" but i could be wrong.

This week their doing all their shows from Jacksonville, Talley always talks about the Bills in the SB's and stuff.

Dr. Lecter
02-03-2005, 07:22 AM
I can't BILLieve that nobody has mentioned O.J. yet!?!?!? :shocked:
Didn't he play for San Fran too?

Tatonka
02-03-2005, 07:29 AM
steve tasker.

best player at his position... best character off the field... class all the way around.. and the heart it takes to be that small and be a possible HOF special teamer? come on.. no one is close.

alohabillsfan
02-03-2005, 07:37 AM
jack kemp!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-03-2005, 07:52 AM
FAT PAT is as involved if not more involved in this community than any other Bill has ever been! And when have you ever heard him complain, get in trouble, etc....

Mr. Cynical
02-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Don Beebe. Class act, showed pure heart in knocking the ball from Lett, and said "this one's for Buffalo" when he won with GB.
Frank Reich. The best backup QB ever to play the game and was all class. Not a selfish bone in his body.
Daryl Talley. Heart and soul of the defense and a stand up guy.
Honorable mention:Chris Speilman. He was only here a very short time so it's hard to classify him as a true Bill, but that guy was the embodiement of heart and professionalism. I was really sad when he left.

PhinsFan66
02-03-2005, 02:38 PM
What about OJ Simpson? Forget about what he may have done , and just look at his 2,000 yard season....even ESPN had him as the 5th best RB ever. You guys are drinking too much Hatorade. I saw the Juice and the Electric Company...how soon you guys forget in Buffalo.

The_Philster
02-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Didn't he play for San Fran too?
Yep

Don Beebe. Class act, showed pure heart in knocking the ball from Lett, and said "this one's for Buffalo" when he won with GB.
Frank Reich. The best backup QB ever to play the game and was all class. Not a selfish bone in his body.
Daryl Talley. Heart and soul of the defense and a stand up guy.
Honorable mention:Chris Speilman. He was only here a very short time so it's hard to classify him as a true Bill, but that guy was the embodiement of heart and professionalism. I was really sad when he left.
:clap: Nicely put

What about OJ Simpson? Forget about what he may have done , and just look at his 2,000 yard season....even ESPN had him as the 5th best RB ever. You guys are drinking too much Hatorade. I saw the Juice and the Electric Company...how soon you guys forget in Buffalo.The thread, as most of us are taking it, is about the best person to play for the Bills...not the best player. Going by that, how many people are going to pick a murderer?

Dr. Lecter
02-03-2005, 06:59 PM
The glove did not fit. Johnny C. told us we must acquit. And it is well known that it was Mexican drug dealers. The real killers are now hiding on the 12th of a golf course in Florida.

OJ will make an announcment when he finds them.

unpaid_bills
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM

Agree Kelly #1

#2 Chris Spielman

The Black Bear
02-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Top 5 Players in Bills history .... (theblackbear doesn't give a rats ass about best person)

1. Bruce Smith: Not only the best Bill ever but possibly the best defensive end ever. At least the 2nd or 3rd best ever.

2. Thurman Thomas: More important to the Superbowl Bills team than any other player because of his play and spirit. Was the best all purpose back after Roger Craig and until Marshall Faulk caught fire.

3. Steve Tasker: The best special teams defensive player in the history of the game. Deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Too bad he bashes the Bills while annoucing games on TV.

4. O.J. Simpson: Was great as a Bill and deserves his due.

5. Jim Kelly: Not the best Buffalo Bill ever but definitely in the top 5. He was not just a quarterback with a strong arm and accuracy. He was also a coach on the field. Very talented and smart player. A true winner!

:peace:

Albany,n.y.
02-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Talley got arrested for DWI & told the cop he wanted to have sex with the cop's wife, so based on the criteria he's kinda disqualified. Talley may win on the sidelines, but loses off the field.

Tasker would get my vote. If coaches are allowed it's Marv.

PhinsFan66
02-05-2005, 01:17 AM
If you are talking about best person as well as best player I would have to say Jim Kelly. He never complained after the Bills lost any of their Superbowls and I saw how he treated his son who has a terrible illness and it made me respect the guy a whole lot. I think he is a classy player and I loved watching him and Dan Marino battling it at.

RAMS FAN
02-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Thurman Thomas
Bruce Smith
Jim Kelly

The Natrix
02-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Darrell

Daryl

Bruce and Bennett were intense

Historian
02-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Tom Sestak was the best player to ever wear a Bills uniform.

Joe D and Kent Hull come in a close second, and one player nobody ever mentions is Joe Devlin. The guy blocked for OJ, Terry Miller, Cribbs, Bell, Harmon, and Thomas. He played on some very bad Bills teams and never got the recognition he deserved. Same with Smerlas.