PDA

View Full Version : Could the Bills play in the NFL Thursday night opener next year?

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
If I remember correctly, the NFL decided last year that the Superbowl Champion will always host the Thursday night season opener.

New England’s 8 home games are as follows.

Buffalo
Miami
N.Y. Jets
Oakland
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Indianapolis

Who could it be????

A division match-up maybe?

Could be Indy, but do they want the same opener 2 years in a row?

Any thoughts?

LtBillsFan66
02-02-2005, 09:38 AM
I hope not. I would like every game to be Sunday at 1.

Dozerdog
02-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Are you sure about that? Wasn't the 2003 opener New York Jets vs Redskins?

If that were true, I would think The Colts or Chargers would be their opening game- Manning vs the Champs again.

My short list if I were an ABC exec-

1-Colts
2-Jets
3- Chargers
4- Bills

The rest would not happen due to bad 2004 records (Maybe the 8-8 saints)

G. Host
02-02-2005, 09:39 AM
San Diego more likely. Division winner, "hot" team and gives Patriots a boost with it being a West Coast team.

Ebenezer
02-02-2005, 09:39 AM
If I remember correctly, the NFL decided last year that the Superbowl Champion will always host the Thursday night season opener.

New England’s 8 home games are as follows.

Buffalo
Miami
N.Y. Jets
Oakland
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Indianapolis

Who could it be????

A division match-up maybe?

Could be Indy, but do they want the same opener 2 years in a row?

Any thoughts?
well...if Philly wins that will be a no...

and do you really want to go into NE and lose on national TV and start the season that way??? pass.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 09:41 AM

I thought it was announced when the schedule came out last year.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 09:42 AM
well...if Philly wins that will be a no...

and do you really want to go into NE and lose on national TV and start the season that way??? pass.

Philly has ZERO chance of winning this game! Not happening.

And I don't want the game either. If only because we'll have to wait a week and a half for game 2!

Plus we'll get killed!

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 09:45 AM
You would think Indy would be the choice. The only thing going against them is that NE always beats them and that they played in the same game last year. I would wonder if Indy would ask not to play in the game because of a potential disadvantage.

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 09:55 AM

04 was Jets/Redskins, 03 was in NYC- it was Washington and NY because of Sept. 11. Not sure how they'll handle it from here on out.

But assuming Pat's right and NE wins, I think it will be the Jets, Chargers or Bills, most likely the Chargers. The Patriots and Colts have already played 3 times in the past two years and the NFL will want something fresh. The Chargers are coming off of a hot season and may be starting Rivers for the first time.

I hope it's not us- I don't want to play the Pats for at least a month- give the team some time to gell and get back into football mode.

BTW if that's how they determine the opener, it just adds to the rewards for the SB. Think about it- if your team wins the SB, their season ended a month later than almost everyone elses, and starts 3 days earlier. I could really go for an off-season that's 34 days shorter.

Dozerdog
02-02-2005, 09:56 AM
You would think Indy would be the choice. The only thing going against them is that NE always beats them and that they played in the same game last year. I would wonder if Indy would ask not to play in the game because of a potential disadvantage.
If i were Indy I'd jump all over being in this game.

Would you rather risk having to play there in December? The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. if you lose the opener, no big deal- been there- done that. If you win- it's a huge momentum boost. Plus you get the 10 days off until the next game- almost a free bye week.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
04 was Jets/Redskins, 03 was in NYC- it was Washington and NY because of Sept. 11. Not sure how they'll handle it from here on out.

But assuming Pat's right and NE wins, I think it will be the Jets, Chargers or Bills, most likely the Chargers. The Patriots and Colts have already played 3 times in the past two years and the NFL will want something fresh. The Chargers are coming off of a hot season and may be starting Rivers for the first time.

I hope it's not us- I don't want to play the Pats for at least a month- give the team some time to gell and get back into football mode.

BTW if that's how they determine the opener, it just adds to the rewards for the SB. Think about it- if your team wins the SB, their season ended a month later than almost everyone elses, and starts 3 days earlier. I could really go for an off-season that's 34 days shorter.

Yeah, I don't have a link or anything but I swear I remember hearing it back in April when the schedule came out.

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM

Would you rather risk having to play there in December? The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. if you lose the opener, no big deal- been there- done that. If you win- it's a huge momentum boost. Plus you get the 10 days off until the next game- almost a free bye week.

Indy might want it but the NFL won't. It's obvious by now that the Colts can't beat the Patriots- why put it on National TV for the 4th time in 3 years?

Dozerdog
02-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Their off season ends the second week of July- when they strap on the pads at camp.

It's a big advantage to play an opener on Thursday- extra 3 days rest for game 2 on the schedule

Earthquake Enyart

:up:

Plus they'd have the whole preseason to figure out how the **** to attack the Pats.

However, I thought this was more a flag waving 9/11 type thing where they wanted the game in NY or Washington...... or maybe even Soldier Field.

Patrick76777

Very good points. I was just thinking about them playing NE in another big game.

Dozerdog
02-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Indy might want it but the NFL won't. It's obvious by now that the Colts can't beat the Patriots- why put it on National TV for the 4th time in 3 years?
The NFL would love to have their MVP vs their Champs on TV any day of the week. Are you "less likely" to watch if it were the Colts playing over, say- the Saints or Chargers?

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
At the same time, it'd be a hell of a way to start our 2005 Superbowl run!

Novacane
02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't remember hearing that. If it's true I sure hope it's not us.

Novacane
02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Philly has ZERO chance of winning this game! Not happening.

Do you guarantee that? I sure hope so with your track record on guarantees

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
The NFL would love to have their MVP vs their Champs on TV any day of the week. Are you "less likely" to watch if it were the Colts playing over, say- the Saints or Chargers?

first NFL game in 8 months? I'll watch it if it's the Browns v. the 49ers.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
If it's NE I would expect NE to host the Steelers.

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 10:21 AM
If it's NE I would expect NE to host the Steelers.

That would be a good game except NE doesn't play the Steelers at home this year- (from Pat's initial post):

Buffalo
Miami
N.Y. Jets
Oakland
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Indianapolis

the NFL has a predetermined schedule based on rotating the divisions and how teams place in that division the previous year, so it won't be changed just to get a good game for the opener.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Do you guarantee that? I sure hope so with your track record on guarantees

What's my track record on Guarantees?

Wait, never mind!

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
What's my track record on Guarantees?

Wait, never mind!

But yes, I guarantee this one! There is no doubt in my mind

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
But yes, I guarantee this one! There is no doubt in my mind

Agreed- I want to see NE lose more than anything. But it's not going to happen. NE's already won.

Novacane
02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Lets let them play the game first.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM

That's fine! Look for NE to be up 17 in the 2nd quarter and then when McNabb starts gripping, a D TD will put up to 24 and NE may win by 30-some points. Depends on if they pour it on or if they let up and Philly gets some garbage time TD's.

Don't be mad though. It's just what I think, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

mybills
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM
According to a Bills fan I met that goes to all NE @ Bills games, he's figuring we play NE in October this year. I think he said Oct. 9. :idunno:

Novacane
02-02-2005, 10:56 AM
That's fine! Look for NE to be up 17 in the 2nd quarter and then when McNabb starts gripping, a D TD will put up to 24 and NE may win by 30-some points. Depends on if they pour it on or if they let up and Philly gets some garbage time TD's.

Don't be mad though. It's just want I think, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

I'm not mad. I just don't understand people giving Philly no chance. NE will likely win but people are talking like the Eagles don't even belong on the same field. I'll be suprised if Philly wins but certainly not shocked.

Patrick76777
02-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm not mad. I just don't understand people giving Philly no chance. NE will likely win but people are talking like the Eagles don't even belong on the same field. I'll be suprised if Philly wins but certainly not shocked.

Yeah, I just don't see much from Philly.

NE just Dismantled the best offense in the league and the best defense in the league in back to back weeks.

Westbrook is average at best and will not scare NE whatsoever. McNabb will throw at least 2 INT’s one for a TD. That int for a TD will happen late second quarter after NE goes up by 17 points. It’ll make it 24 points and the rout will be on.

The only question in my nind is if NE will pour it on or if Philly will score some garbage time points to make it look closer.

EM Bills Fan 80
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
No, because the Eagles will win

OpIv37
02-02-2005, 12:10 PM

An Optimist can never be pleasantly surprised. Year after year, NE gets the toughest teams in the playoffs, and I hope it's finally the end of their run. And year after year, NE makes the other teams look like the 2004 Cleveland Browns. I've lost all hope that anyone can beat NE.

Philly's a good team, but have they shown anything that makes you think they can hang with the Patriots? Andy Reid is certainly no Bellicheck. Maybe they were 14-2 or whatever, but that's not all that difficult when you get 6 games a year against the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys, and another 6 against equally bad NFC teams.

I'd love to see Philly win because I'm originally from that area and still have family there, and I hate the Patriots with a passion that can barely be expressed in words. But it's just not gonna happen.

Patrick76777
03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Yo, I was right! Waz up!

Oakland gets the opener in NE