PDA

View Full Version : Vanek OPTS out Of AHL All Star Game To Play For Austria

SkateZilla
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/AHL/2005/02/03/919166-ap.html

VIENNA (AP) - Rochester Americans winger Thomas Vanek will fly home to help his country qualify for the 2006 Olympics rather than appear in the AHL all-star game, the Austrian Hockey Federation said Thursday.

"Austria is my homeland. It is more important to me to help my country start at the Olympics than to appear in an all-star game," a federation statement quoted Vanek as saying. "To me the decision was easy. I am Austrian and so I will always be there for my country."

Austria is hosting one of three Olympic qualification tournaments in Klagenfurt from Feb. 10 to 13.

Vanek will be joined by several other key overseas-based players: New York Ranger Thomas Poeck, currently with the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack; Syracuse Crunch's Matthias Trattnig; Christoph Brandner of the Houston Aeros, and University of Wisconsin goalie Bernd Brueckler.

Vanek, whose rights belong to the NHL's Buffalo Sabres but is playing in Rochester during the NHL lockout, will stay in Austria an entire week and miss the AHL All-star game as well as four league games.

"I am sure it was the right decision. We will play France, the Ukraine and Kazakhstan. It will be tough, but I am sure we can beat them all," said Vanek.

Vanek was a member of Austria in the 2004 IIHF world championships in Prague, where he collected seven points (two goals and five assists) in six games. He led the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers in goals (26) and points (51) for the second-straight season before being Buffalo's first pick - fifth overall - in the 2003 NHL draft.

Michael82
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
He's going to miss 4 games too? WTF! :mad:

SkateZilla
02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
lmao.. whos gonna fill the offensive GAP?.. Jeff Jillson?

Michael82
02-03-2005, 06:19 PM
lmao.. whos gonna fill the offensive GAP?.. Jeff Jillson?
See, that's bull****. He is doing great with the Amerks and they are leading in the AHL or maybe #2...but now because he wants to help his home country win the Olympics, he's basically saying **** you, Rochester Amerks. I got more important stuff to do. :( :mad:

Myers57
02-04-2005, 08:02 AM
It's the Amerks, they are a farm team to develop players he should be able to go home to help his own country...

And in regards to the all star game, it is just a frill game, it has no use and is just for fun, let him go home and help his country out!

SABURZFAN
02-06-2005, 05:26 PM
if anything,it should be a good experience and help him become a better player.it's not like he's playing against a bunch of bush league players.i like the move.

SkateZilla
02-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Playing For Queen And Country Is Higher In My Book,

Least He'll Be Playing With and Against NHL Caliber Players In The Mix

Michael82
02-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Playing For Queen And Country Is Higher In My Book,

Least He'll Be Playing With and Against NHL Caliber Players In The Mix
True. I guess I'm just bitter because they have a 7 game winning streak going on and this won't help.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-07-2005, 08:22 AM
C'mon Mikey, if he was going to help the USA make the Olympics you would be all for it. It is just a week, he will be back.

Michael82
02-07-2005, 08:41 AM
C'mon Mikey, if he was going to help the USA make the Olympics you would be all for it. It is just a week, he will be back.
The Olympics are not for another year. If they don't get in yet...don't they still have more time?

SkateZilla
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
The Olympics are not for another year. If they don't get in yet...don't they still have more time?

its better to qualify early than to try and qualify at the last minute.