PDA

View Full Version : Possible game in Toronto???

smack541
02-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Per, the state of the league address, there was mention of a game being played in Toronto. There is some hinting going on that one of the Bills home games will be moved up there. I think Ralph needs to fight this to his grave. Any type of success up in Toronto might spell doom for the Bills. Also, why do some of the best fans in the league have to give up a home game when teams like Jacksonville and Arizona never fill their stadiums??

DanS
02-05-2005, 10:44 AM
God I hope you're kidding. Where did you hear this from?

The Natrix
02-05-2005, 10:45 AM
That would be gay as hell.

smack541
02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Its on err, another bills website.... per billsdaily.com!

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I thought I had heard that Tagliabue said that they will be expanding into Canada in the future.

The_Philster
02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't see it happening without a major vote happening. Season tickets would have to exclude the costs of those away home games. Club seats, luxury boxes would be worth less and I don't see owners being all that anxious to give up guaranteed money like they get from those 3 sources

Philagape
02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Are we talking regular season or preseason?

I don't think there's any way in hell they'd move a reg. season game.

The_Philster
02-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Are we talking regular season or preseason?

I don't think there's any way in hell they'd move a reg. season game..

The league has played preseason games outside the United States, and Tagliabue said the idea of holding regular-season games in other countries is under consideration. Toronto and Mexico City are the prime candidates -- perhaps as early as next season. from (http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8163420)

Historian
Let the sandflies have all the preseason games....that's fair.

BillsRockSOMUCH
Here's the link... http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3375856
"By then, the NFL might have staged a game that counts outside U.S. borders. Tagliabue said the league is considering a game in Mexico or Canada, perhaps as soon as the upcoming schedule.

Prime candidates to sacrifice a game in their home stadium would be the Cardinals for Mexico or the Bills for Canada, although Tagliabue mentioned no specific teams."

justasportsfan
02-05-2005, 10:59 AM
How aboot them bills ,eh?

Philagape
02-05-2005, 11:00 AM
from (http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8163420)

:madcurse:

BillsRockSOMUCH
02-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I thought I had heard that Tagliabue said that they will be expanding into Canada in the future.
He never said that, but in the link in my last post Tagliubue vowed to have an LA franchise by the end of the decade, if they bring in 1 expansion team they'd bring in another to make the number of teams even and a team in Canada would be a definate possibility.

generalmills
02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I am mad as heck at this.. I am a season ticket holder from Canada. I feel that this is a slap in the face to the bills franchise and we as fans alike. The Union address also spoke of Arizona playing a game in Mexico. Is that the impression that is given around the league?? That we are in the same class as the Cardnals? The Bills are the BUFFALO Bills.. (not the Montreal Expos!! we are not dying as a franchise and we have more then 2,500 people show up for games!). This is just one step closer in the NFL's quest to move the Bills to Toronto to expand their market to a "large" Canadian fan base which will is a total misconception. Canadians have one track minds that focus on hockey first and everything else last. All you have to look at is the Raptors ticket situation. Even with a hockey strike they have only sold out 3 of their games this year!! There is not even a stadium that would justify an NFL regular season game (Mexico has a 100,000 plus stadium.. but where would our game be the Sky Dome errrrrrrrrrrr now the Roger's Centre??) The dome is so bad for football that the Toronto Argo's are moving out of the city centre and into the York area to a stadium that will be the likes of UB stadium!!! It will not work. and the only thing that a move like this would accomplish would be killing Buffalo off with regards to the NFL.

dannyek71
02-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Why are the Bills always getting screwed over?

As sad as it is to say, the Bills WILL NOT be in buffalo in 10yrs...

God I hope im wrong

Michael82
02-05-2005, 12:09 PM
BOOOOOOO!!! :mad:

ScottLawrence
02-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Why are the Bills always getting screwed over?

As sad as it is to say, the Bills WILL NOT be in buffalo in 10yrs...

God I hope im wrong

It wouldn't suprise me. :negrep:

mybills
02-05-2005, 02:20 PM
So much for the AFC

BuffaloSpikes51
02-05-2005, 04:39 PM
From what I read online, Tagliabu was making a possible idea to expand a game every year in Mexico or Canada with Arizona being the prime candidate for the Mexico game and Buffalo for the Canada game, however it's still just an idea. I really don't like the idea myself because it's not fair to the two teams that could potentially be giving up a home game to play there and also to the fans who pay to see the home games as season ticket holders to only get 7 games as opposed to 8. I don't like this idea and I hope that it continues to stay just an idea.

Mr. Cynical
02-05-2005, 07:05 PM
This idea is total :bs:

If the Bills have to play in Canada, then to be fair EVERY team should be forced to have an international game as well. Picking and choosing because of geography is prejudiced and unfair.

TigerJ
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
It does not directly affect me, unless the game they happened to move to Canada is a late game. I can't go to any 1 PM games, but if Buffalo happens to have a 4 PM or primetime home game Id' be as mad as a wet hen if that's the one they move to Toronto. The thing I really want to know is, what is Tagliabooboo thinking? Is thinking that the Bills franchise might be more viable if the team were moved to Toronto? Is he thinking of future league expansion? Is he thinking of Buffalo becoming a two city team and eventually playing half their home games in Buffalo and half in Toronto? I don't see how that would work, but who knows what's on his mind? I don't think I like most of the things he could e thinking though.

pleasesavedrew
02-05-2005, 09:19 PM
its great to hear a caniadian fan agree with all american ones

Demon
02-05-2005, 09:40 PM
No way this happens IMO. They can look into it or whatever or make it a very known story up in Canada and hope for more of an audience, to grab their attention, but for reality, theres NO WAY they will move a Bills regular season game with the approval of Ralph Wilson and Donahoe and risk playing at a 50-50 crowd and who knows what that game will mean for the playoffs.

This is just talk, as long as Ralph is walking, Bills will always play 8 home games.

However, i would like to see another Bills @ Toronto preseason game. I wouldn't mind that.

Dozerdog
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
They should move a preseason game up there before messing with the regular schedule.

RedEyE
02-05-2005, 10:12 PM
They could play an away game up there if they'd like.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Football will not survive in Canada for long.. Look at Basketball and Baseball, alot of players will not want to play in Canada because of the money situation.. Expos obviously didnt survive.. Of course it would be great for Canada but not for the NFL.. Hockey somehow is the only sport that can survive, and thats only because they can do some curling after the game..

Jan Reimers
02-06-2005, 06:33 AM
I would take it as a breach of contract on my club level tickets, wherein I pay for ten games per year with all of the attendant amenities, including access to the Jim Kelly Club, for a five year term.

I would cancel my contract.

Michael82
02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
I would take it as a breach of contract on my club level tickets, wherein I pay for ten games per year with all of the attendant amenities, including access to the Jim Kelly Club, for a five year term.

I would cancel my contract.
So would a bunch of people with club seats.

Dozerdog
02-06-2005, 09:54 AM
I think you guys really over-react to a lot of this stuff.

If it happens- it will be a single game either in Mexico or Canada. I would think if there is any "compeditive" disadvantage then they would probably pick some cellar dwelling teams to represent. San Fran vs The Cards or something like that.

Even if they did select the Bills and we did lose a single home game it's not like the team will keep your season ticket money for the lost game. It would be unfair if it was expected of the Bills each season...but I highly doubt it. I'd actually be interested in seeing them play in Toronto once. Should be quite fun. Many on these boards who don't have the dish or live in Buffalo will have an opportunity to see the Bills on national TV.

On the flip side, it could be a huge advantage if we are the "road team". Imagine if the Patriots were the home team forced to give up a date and the Bills played them there- it would be a virtual 9th home game IMHO.

Teams that need to worry the most about being selected are those who can't sell all their seats consistently, and marketable teams outside the USA. Cowboys, Raiders, those kind of teams.

But to terminate a 5 year club seat contract over 1 game that they will refund you for? That's really going overboard .

Jan Reimers
02-06-2005, 10:12 AM
The Bills expect me to honor the terms and conditions of my contract with them. I expect them to do the same.

The loss of a preseason game, if accompanied by a refund of my ticket money AND a pro rata (10%) share of my seat license fee, would be acceptable. The loss of a regular season game, even with appropriate refunds, would not.

The Bills REQUIRED a contract from me and all other premium seat holders. It is not too much to ask that they UPHOLD it.