PDA

View Full Version : The 46 defense

Ingtar33
11-29-2002, 10:50 PM
Over the course of last Tuesday, two good friends of mine (both accomplished Division I defensive football coaches... one from the PAC-10 the other in the Big-10) along with myself, got together to discus the state of the Bills defense, the feasibility of the 46 defense on the whole, and possible “quick fix” solutions to the Bills defensive problems. My friends and I had been batting around this idea for a while, and since I was always a bit more versed on talent evaluation and the offensive side of the ball I was rather interested in what their trained eyes were able to see with the Bills defense. I was not disappointed, as I learned a lot about the way the 46 was developed, the philosophy behind many aspects of the defense, and what makes it work. I was also surprised about a few of the things that they saw, as they were able to cut to the point about things it has taken the whole season for me to grasp. Now, without further ado I bring you our conclusions.

The 46 defense
There are several base alignments for the 46 defense; we will look at the most common base alignment run by the Buffalo Bills.

The 6 man line
This is the Primary alignment the Bills use in the 46 defense, it consists of both WLB and SLB lining up on the line, and the SS and MLB lining up behind the line (with the MLB on the strong side). This formation is used primarily against opposing teams in base (not spread) offenses by the Bills coaching staff, on downs where it’s an even chance they’ll run the ball (1st-10, 2nd-6ish, 3rd-short). It basically looks like this (I hope this comes out right)

DE UT NT DE WLB SLB
LT LG C RG RT TE

*The MLB lines up over top the strong side DE and WLB, and the SS lines up over top the weak side DE and DT.

**The gaps are assigned like this…
“C”gap-LT-“B”gap-LG-“A”gap-C-“A”gap-RG-“B”gap-RT-“C”gap-TE-“D”gap

The general purpose of this package is for the SLB to provide an up-field rush to either pressure the QB, or force the run inside. The WLB jams the TE and usually has coverage, and holds the point of attack to keep the run inside, and the TE off the middle LB. The strong side DE has the “C” gap on a strong side (SS) outside run, and the “B” gap on an inside/weak side (WS) run. The strong side DT basically plays the NT position of the 3-4 defense, lining up over the center, or maybe slightly shading toward the SS Guard. He has to be capable of pushing the pocket in passing situations, and taking up both the SS (or WS on WS runs) Guard and Center in running situations (in other words he has both “A” gap assignments), and if the NT cannot demand a double team then a lot of bad things can happen for the front 8. The WS DT or under tackle (UT) has back side pursuit assignments, and is heavily relied upon to collapse the pocket, since he is often left one on one with the weak side guard, and hold the point of attack on the inside run. The WSDE has backside pursuit assignments, and must be able to hold the point of attack on WS runs, he tends to lineup wide on the outside shoulder of the LT to allow for a strong “containing” up field pass rush.

In plane English, this defense is designed to contain the running plays by forcing everything back “inside” toward the backside pursuit. Against the pass, the whole defense needs a pocket collapsing inside rush, a strong “jam” on the TE, and a blazingly quick outside rush to keep the QB in the pocket where he will “hopefully” get trapped by the DTs. The CBs stay 10yards off the WRs in man to man coverage. The reason for this is that they can look into the backfield, and pounce on quick timing routs, and hot blitz reads… with the end result of either a lot of INTs or sacks. The FS has to provide (depending on the defense called) both deep zone protection and man coverage on either the TE or RB. In addition the FS has the wide cutback lane responsibility on both WS and SS runs. The MLB has two responsibilities in the run game, the first is a soft or false “backside” support role which is uncommon for most MLBs in which the general idea is that the MLB has to cheat up-field, and cut under the lead blocking to get pursuit tackles, the second is to force strong outside runs back inside toward the Strong Safety, who plays a similar role to the MLB in this alignment. The odd defensive alignment in general is designed to create such a strong WS alignment, that the offense stays to SS running plays. Then the SS players jobs are to get so far outside and up-field that the RB is forced back inside, toward the backside pursuit.

So the question of the day is what has gone wrong. To answer that question I’ll go over the problems in order of importance, and then give a brief synopsis of our conclusions about the solutions to the problems.

1) The SLB and WLB do not hold the point of attack well, getting shoved out of position consistently. It is Newman’s job to shed his block and force the RB back inside with a strong up-field move, something he has not done often or well all year, as the RBs are rarely being forced back inside. It is Robinson’s job to hold up the TE, and to hold the point of attack, forcing the ball carrier back toward the SS and pursuing DL, this is another thing which is done very poorly, as E.R. is often being moved backwards and out of the way by the TE.

2) Poor pass rush from the DTs, is absolutely killing our pass D. For the 46 to function in pass coverage the pocket has to be collapsed up the middle, often the outside rush is there to sack the QB, however the QB has the room to step up as there is no inside pressure.

3) Chidi Ahanotu is not good enough with his up-field, outside moves to collapse the hole consistently on the RB, and he is not quick enough to warrant special attention by the OL in his pass rushing, which means that Newman will often be blocked by a RT when he pass rushes.

4) Edwards and Schobel both are consistently moved out of their lanes on WS and SS runs, making the job of both the backside pursuit and either the SS or MLB virtually impossible.

5) Fletcher, while good with his backside support on WS runs, consistently overpressures the SS runs, taking himself out of the play when the RB cuts back. It is his job to either make the tackle on the RB or force the run further inside if he gets blocked, unfortunately he rarely forces the RB back inside when blocked, keeping the backside pressure from making the play. In essence he still plays the position like it should be played in a standard 4-3.

6) Prioleau is often too late to properly analysis run-pass, making him late in the running game and too gullible to the play action in the passing game, as he is often the biggest liability in the secondary.

We proceeded on the basic assumption that the 46 would not be permanently scrapped. Other than that we just kibitzed on what we thought could be done in both FA and in personnel/coaching. The general consensus was the following…

1)Replace Edwards and Ahanotu (Schobel is very good with the speed rush, and the odds that we’ll find a better player for his cost is unlikely) with better players. Edwards needs to be replaced since he is inadequate in both run stopping and pass rushing. It is the lack of pass rush from the DTs that really is sabotaging this team right now, and this needs to be fixed before we can consider seriously competing with this unit. Ahanotu is actually rather good for this system, and with the signing of Jones it looks like the Bills have started to address the weakness that Chidi brings to the line. My buddy from SoCal felt rather strongly that Chidi could fulfill the UT role better than Edwards, and I’d have to agree as the only weakness I see right now is he is unwilling to bring his rush up-field, preferring to take the “B” gap with such gusto that at times it seems like he forgets he is playing a two-gap system.

2)E.Robinson is too slow and weak to play in the NFL right now. It was the general agreement that it is time for D.Polk to start, he might not be a good cover guy, but at least he wouldn’t be pushed around as much as Robinson is. In the off-season the Bills will have to look to bringing in a FA or drafting a new WLB.

3)K.Newman is another LB who should be shown the door at the end of the season, as he is fairly poor at shedding blockers and rarely provides the contain that defense needs. I really love his speed, however he does such a poor job translating that into good pressure that we should look elsewhere. This was one of the conclusions that surprised me, as I thought most of his bad play was the result of Robinson and over-pursuit by Fletcher, however it was pointed out to me that he really makes his own bed, and makes himself look bad without anyone’s help.

4)Prioleau needs to be replaced, and while he can be a help in the run defense he is such a problem in pass defense that he more than hurts this team.

5)The coaching staff probably could try to fix some of the problems by sticking with the 46 more. Right now they’re play very conservatively, and are only using the 46 when the opposing offense sticks to a conventional (non-spread) formation. From our look it appeared as if the Bills 46 performed far better against both the pass and run than their nickel, which is seriously undermined by the lack of a serious pass rush. At least the Bills create pressure and force the opposing team into more short patterns when they crowd the line. Right now the opposing offenses are dictating to Jerry Grey what defense he will play, and when the offense has that type of psychological advantage, they will move the ball at will. Until Grey can find something the Bills do well enough to force the offense to change in response to them, opposing teams will continue to dictate our own defensive strategy to us (which is what is happening now). My buddy from Ohio made it clear to me that the mentality of Grey right now is similar to that of a shell-shocked mental patient. He is so afraid of giving up a big play, he has gone too conservative. The 46 is the wrong defense to play conservative, and this is one of the reasons that the Bills aren’t getting turnovers; they are too conservative and are not creating any real chaos in the opposing backfield. If they would play this base defense against the spread offenses, and brought some real heavy blitzes we might force the opposing offenses to change strategy, because right now, no-one sees any need to change strategies against us.

Cntrygal
11-29-2002, 11:05 PM
WOW... great job!

Please pass on my thanks to your buddies too. Is there any way you can email this to Grey? Esp the part about the "shell-shocked mental patient"? Maybe it would help wake him up.

DIHARD2
11-30-2002, 07:01 AM
So what do you do think about the way Chris Watson has been getting burned is that because not enough pressure on the quarterback or is Watson just not suitable for his position should he go or not?

It was very good reading and I understand the system better. By fixing those positions that you stated above with the 46 would it be a good defense and with the training or teaching these younger guys this year, will they have one step up in their ability next year to accomplish their position correctly and make the 46 work?

Again appreciate the time it took you to write this, but I'm sure you and your buddies had a good time doing it. Have a cold one on me LoL.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

The_Philster
11-30-2002, 07:16 AM
Personally, I don't think there's been enough pressure, DIHARD2. Watson was at least decent at CB in Cottrell's system. Maybe he just needs to play more zone coverage? The 46 defense is SUPPOSED to be heavy on man coverage.

don137
11-30-2002, 07:23 AM
In a nut shell we do not have a lot of the pieces in place for a 46 defense (Priouleu, Robinson, Newman and Edwards need to go, Fletcher is playing more of a 4-3 MLB and not 46 MLB and Chidi needs to be moved to UT) and as a result are losing the battle in the trenches. Due to it being ineffective Gray is being conservative and not taking any chances to cause turnovers which is the basis for the 46 defense.

Very well done Ingtar. As always I enjoyed reading your insightful posts (you won't see this type of analysis on a Dolphin or Patriot board). Next time don't be so vague.

Ingtar33
11-30-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
So what do you do think about the way Chris Watson has been getting burned is that because not enough pressure on the quarterback or is Watson just not suitable for his position should he go or not?

It was very good reading and I understand the system better. By fixing those positions that you stated above with the 46 would it be a good defense and with the training or teaching these younger guys this year, will they have one step up in their ability next year to accomplish their position correctly and make the 46 work?

Again appreciate the time it took you to write this, but I'm sure you and your buddies had a good time doing it. Have a cold one on me LoL.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Actually, one of the things that surprised me was that both of my buddies, like myself, were set against using the 46 in the future. I kind of figured that my dislike for the system, along with my lack of experience with it, was clouding my view, and making me prejudiced against it. However both of my friends who have hands on experience with the system told me that they felt that the 46 was too gimmicky, relied too heavily on overwhelming talent, and was not an easily used scheme. In essence they pointed out that the 46 was a state of the art defense back in '85, but so was the run 'n gun. Right now, the book is out on how to beat the system, and there are more "modern" pressure defenses that we could use which don't require all the talent that the 46 needs. For example, the 3-4 zone blitzing scheme is a great pressure defense, which consistently shows among the league leaders with every team that runs it. The Philly eagles run a 4-3 variant which relies heavily on 46 principals, however they get more pressure due to the fact they keep their LBers off the line of scrimmage, and employ 3-4 style zone blitzing, in sort of a modern twist on the old 46. One of my friends pointed out to me that the talent was there in our team to at least have a mediocre defense without any FA, however the scheme we are running is highlighting our flaws, and not taking advantage of our strengths.

Watson, like Clements and Winfield are better bump 'n run corners than they are zone or this soft man coverage they're playing. Thus far no one (with the exception of Winfield) has shown the ability to keep up with a WR well in this system.

DIHARD2
11-30-2002, 09:40 AM
So with the free agency and cap system, the 46 relies too much on players that one team cannot afford, because of the cap. From the way I read your comment which is excellent this system can be used only in variations but you have to depend on mistakes by the other team offense. I have to agree, the 46 has to go or at least part of it from what I've read here.

I know you really can't make a personal judgment on this but, do you think G. W. will, because of his ego continue using this, or do you feel like I do that he's learned his lesson? Like you said the talent you need to make it work, (the true 46) is unaffordable for one team and stay, cap Healthy, in today's NFL?

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

don137
11-30-2002, 10:14 AM
I don't understand that if GW got rid of the west coast offense because they did not have the talent to execute it effectively why did he stick with the 46 defense?

colin
11-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Ingtar, what do you think the likely hood of our team modifying the 46, a la Philly, so that we essentially give the same look for different plays, and different looks for the same type of D?

A bit more pass rush and we could have something to work with.

BillsMan80
11-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Ingtar, when you say that we play a conservative 46 defense, do you mean that in terms of blitzing and how much pressure we apply to the Quarterback, or do you mean in terms of our coverages, i.e. man-to-man and zone?

Typ0
11-30-2002, 12:10 PM
Good job Ingtar. One of the things that really stands out to me is we are placing too much blame on the backfield and Watson in particular. It clearly states his coverage is supposed to be 10 yds off the man in this system. I firmly believe we have great corners and Watson isn't nearly as bad as he has looked in this defense. With no pass rush you can never expect defenders to cover receivers, at some point they are going to get open you have to break down the play and pressure the QB before this happens to give the backfield the support they need to be successful.

MissBuffalo
11-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Thanks Ingtar for that interesting read! It supports what I've be saying all along......that we do not have the right players on D to run this system. And good point Don, I just don't see how GW is so obsessed with this scheme that he's not willing to do something different because it is so not working.
When ever this topic comes up, I can't help but think of what GW said to Hanson when he asked why they were messing with the 3rd ranked D in the league. DOH!

Š
11-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Good job! Nice to see posters in here who actually know something about the game of football.

I agree with you that the 46 is very much a gimmick in today's NFL. I'll assert that part of GW's problem is the "well it worked well in Tennessee" philosophy.

Two words, Gregg. The Freak is why it worked so well.

SABURZFAN
11-30-2002, 06:59 PM
i like the 3-4 defense myself.to me,LB's are most athletic and faster than DL's.if we're going to blitz,i feel that it's better to rush 3 DL's and 2 LB's rather than 4DL's and 1 LB.

ArcticWildMan
11-30-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Good job! Nice to see posters in here who actually know something about the game of football.

I agree with you that the 46 is very much a gimmick in today's NFL. I'll assert that part of GW's problem is the "well it worked well in Tennessee" philosophy.

Two words, Gregg. The Freak is why it worked so well.

:hail:

StillLurkin
11-30-2002, 09:10 PM
this is by far the best post i have read on here, and i haven't been by lately, i just can't deal with "the sky is falling horse!@#$"

JJamezz
11-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Absolutely GREAT article Ingtar - it really clears up a lot of things I've wondered about, especially this season...

Ingtar33
11-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Ingtar, when you say that we play a conservative 46 defense, do you mean that in terms of blitzing and how much pressure we apply to the Quarterback, or do you mean in terms of our coverages, i.e. man-to-man and zone?

What do I mean by conservative?
I mean that the Bills almost never (maybe 1 in 5 plays) uses the pure 46, most of the time they are in some sort of nickel defense in response to the spread formations opposing offenses are using against us. Opposing O coordinators (and many fans on this board) have noted that if the opposing team puts 3 WRs on the field the Bills will bring out their nickel defense. The result is opposing team are scraping their base alignments and spreading the field intentionally to get the nickel match-ups they want. In essence since Grey is being so conservative the O coordinators are not surprised by anything we do. How do I know this? After watching this D enough it becomes plenty obvious what the D call is going to be depending on down, distance and offensive formation... as a result O coordinators know what D Grey is going to call and take advantage of the conservative predictability he is giving them. Now even when the Bills use their 46 D, Grey is using less and less blitzes. The guys I was talking to are accomplished D coaches, and the last thing you should ever do as a D coach is to give up the initiative to the opposing offense. As a result they wanted Grey to use the 46 more against 3 WR sets, and send the house against empty backfields, just to make the opposing team respond to us for a change. They pointed out that it wasn't until Grey got "shell-shocked" that our D became stale and predictable and stopped making plays (12 sacks- 4 turnovers in the first 3 games, 10 sacks- 7 turnovers in the last 8 games).

BillsMan80
12-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Ok, thanks for the explanation, because this being my Sr. year of HS, I played football, and only played on the offensive side of the ball at WR and TE, so the defensive side wasn't a big focus for me.

LuvDaBills11
12-01-2002, 09:28 AM
i like your article ingtar. i remember reading something like it somewhere else but i don't remember where. it said the same thing that the bills had the wrong people to run this d.

jerry gray is an idiot but i do feel sorry for him since other teams knew he didnt have the people to run the 46 so they threw things at him that they knew woud beat the system.

early in the season when they were still using the pure 46 they were getting burned on pass plays because coy wire and prealou werent getting to their coverage assinments fast enough but now they are being too conservative.

i think coy wire might be a liability in this system too because hes too young and inexperienced at safety to play well in the 46 now. maybe 2 years from now but this is his first year at safety and billy jenkins might be af aster reacter than coy. and personally i think using chidi inside is a mistake. he's not strong enough to get push on ogs and they should probably go with a fa or drafted dt to get that pressure. st louis might be willing to trade for one, maybe if bryson is healthy they have 3 starting quality dts.