Will McNabb, Manning and Rothlesburger choke forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaBills
    • Sep 2004

Will McNabb, Manning and Rothlesburger choke forever?

Now for a non-dynasty issue. ;-p

After watching all the playoffs this year, and seeing Brady not losing a playoff game yet in his career, are Peyton, Donovan, Dante, Drew and Ben just doomed to choke in the big games? I don't know that I need to see McNabb and those guys play in big games anymore to find out. I mean, they either have it at this point or they don't, right? (I'll barely give Ben a pass as a rook.)
    “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”
  • STAMPY
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DaBills
    Now for a non-dynasty issue. ;-p

After watching all the playoffs this year, and seeing Brady not losing a playoff game yet in his career, are Peyton, Donovan, Dante, Drew and Ben just doomed to choke in the big games? I don't know that I need to see McNabb and those guys play in big games anymore to find out. I mean, they either have it at this point or they don't, right? (I'll barely give Ben a pass as a rook.)
    ?

They all lost to the Pats btw

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

It took Elway a while
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• jmb1099
        • Sep 2004

Choking in a big game is a hard mental game to play once you've lost it. Bledsoe has plently of arm strength left and in meaningless games (if there is such a thing in the AFC east) he plays alright. Put him in a big game and it all fals apart. It would appear that DM has this same problem. The jury is still out on Peyton and Ben. Daunte is surrounded by too much of a circus atmoshpere to ever get over the hump.

Comment

• BillyT92679
          • Jul 2002

Ben R. is a rook, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
          The others, I don't know. McNabb got over the hump and made the SB at least, but still, no victories in major bowl games (0-2 in the two BCS bowls that the Cuse were in, 0-1 in the SB)

Manning hasn't won anything of substance in his career. He is a great passer, but in order to be a truly great qb, you have to win playoff games on the road.
          Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

they all looked like crap in the big game...they will never win it all...they are all grossly overpaid and should be ditched by their respective teams immediately in favor of untested rookies with no track record.

/sarcasm

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• rtconner
              • Sep 2004

I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke".
              All knowing

Comment

• helmetguy
                Touch the helmet for luck
                • Sep 2002

How many passes did McNabb throw in that game again?
                Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

Ben was a rookie, fortunate to play as well as he did I think in 2-3 years hes going to be a beast.
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• DaBills
                    • Sep 2004

"I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke"."

Give him an 'atta boy for 300+ and the scores if you want, but don't overlook the negative play and INT's that killed them. He looked rushed out there and forced a ton of stuff into double coverage on many passes when a) other WR's were wide open and b) he had very good time. I know he makes those throws normally, so then what other explaination is there?
                    “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jmb1099
                      Choking in a big game is a hard mental game to play once you've lost it. Bledsoe has plently of arm strength left and in meaningless games (if there is such a thing in the AFC east) he plays alright. Put him in a big game and it all fals apart. It would appear that DM has this same problem. The jury is still out on Peyton and Ben. Daunte is surrounded by too much of a circus atmoshpere to ever get over the hump.

DM took his team to the championship game four years in a row....at least two of those years were totally on his shoulders. DB can't win with a good team against third stringers just to make the playoffs. Any comparison between the two is a joke....DM probably still has his best days ahead of him...DB isn't even able to win any more.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBills
                        "I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke"."

Give him an 'atta boy for 300+ and the scores if you want, but don't overlook the negative play and INT's that killed them. He looked rushed out there and forced a ton of stuff into double coverage on many passes when a) other WR's were wide open and b) he had very good time. I know he makes those throws normally, so then what other explaination is there?
                        He didn't play his best game...but he did play well enough that they had a chance to win....I guess some people think choking is equal to losing....choking is losing to Pit in the last week against their third stringers...losing a three point game in the superbowl in the last minute is not a choke.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

I don't care if McNabb threw for 500 yards and five touchdowns. His mistakes lost the game (among other factors).
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• STAMPY
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                            DM took his team to the championship game four years in a row....at least two of those years were totally on his shoulders. DB can't win with a good team against third stringers just to make the playoffs. Any comparison between the two is a joke....DM probably still has his best days ahead of him...DB isn't even able to win any more.
                            When was Drew Bledsoe ever in question in this thread? i just love how everything is compared to drew lol

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by STAMPY
                              When was Drew Bledsoe ever in question in this thread? i just love how everything is compared to drew lol

I was trying to explain what is a choke and what is not a choke...and drew is one of the biggest exemplars of choke...so it's natural to use him in the example.

Comment

Working...
                              X