PDA

View Full Version : Will McNabb, Manning and Rothlesburger choke forever?

DaBills
02-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Now for a non-dynasty issue. ;-p

After watching all the playoffs this year, and seeing Brady not losing a playoff game yet in his career, are Peyton, Donovan, Dante, Drew and Ben just doomed to choke in the big games? I don't know that I need to see McNabb and those guys play in big games anymore to find out. I mean, they either have it at this point or they don't, right? (I'll barely give Ben a pass as a rook.)

STAMPY
02-08-2005, 12:24 AM

After watching all the playoffs this year, and seeing Brady not losing a playoff game yet in his career, are Peyton, Donovan, Dante, Drew and Ben just doomed to choke in the big games? I don't know that I need to see McNabb and those guys play in big games anymore to find out. I mean, they either have it at this point or they don't, right? (I'll barely give Ben a pass as a rook.)

?

They all lost to the Pats btw

Philagape
02-08-2005, 12:30 AM
It took Elway a while

jmb1099
02-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Choking in a big game is a hard mental game to play once you've lost it. Bledsoe has plently of arm strength left and in meaningless games (if there is such a thing in the AFC east) he plays alright. Put him in a big game and it all fals apart. It would appear that DM has this same problem. The jury is still out on Peyton and Ben. Daunte is surrounded by too much of a circus atmoshpere to ever get over the hump.

BillyT92679
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Ben R. is a rook, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
The others, I don't know. McNabb got over the hump and made the SB at least, but still, no victories in major bowl games (0-2 in the two BCS bowls that the Cuse were in, 0-1 in the SB)

Manning hasn't won anything of substance in his career. He is a great passer, but in order to be a truly great qb, you have to win playoff games on the road.

Ebenezer
02-08-2005, 11:18 AM
they all looked like crap in the big game...they will never win it all...they are all grossly overpaid and should be ditched by their respective teams immediately in favor of untested rookies with no track record.

/sarcasm

rtconner
02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke".

helmetguy
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
How many passes did McNabb throw in that game again?

Devin
02-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Ben was a rookie, fortunate to play as well as he did I think in 2-3 years hes going to be a beast.

DaBills
02-08-2005, 01:11 PM
"I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke"."

Give him an 'atta boy for 300+ and the scores if you want, but don't overlook the negative play and INT's that killed them. He looked rushed out there and forced a ton of stuff into double coverage on many passes when a) other WR's were wide open and b) he had very good time. I know he makes those throws normally, so then what other explaination is there?

Typ0
02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Choking in a big game is a hard mental game to play once you've lost it. Bledsoe has plently of arm strength left and in meaningless games (if there is such a thing in the AFC east) he plays alright. Put him in a big game and it all fals apart. It would appear that DM has this same problem. The jury is still out on Peyton and Ben. Daunte is surrounded by too much of a circus atmoshpere to ever get over the hump.

DM took his team to the championship game four years in a row....at least two of those years were totally on his shoulders. DB can't win with a good team against third stringers just to make the playoffs. Any comparison between the two is a joke....DM probably still has his best days ahead of him...DB isn't even able to win any more.

Typ0
02-08-2005, 01:25 PM
"I wouldn't consider 300+ yrds and 3 TD's choking. I guess everyone has a different definition of the word "choke"."

Give him an 'atta boy for 300+ and the scores if you want, but don't overlook the negative play and INT's that killed them. He looked rushed out there and forced a ton of stuff into double coverage on many passes when a) other WR's were wide open and b) he had very good time. I know he makes those throws normally, so then what other explaination is there?

He didn't play his best game...but he did play well enough that they had a chance to win....I guess some people think choking is equal to losing....choking is losing to Pit in the last week against their third stringers...losing a three point game in the superbowl in the last minute is not a choke.

Philagape
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't care if McNabb threw for 500 yards and five touchdowns. His mistakes lost the game (among other factors).

STAMPY
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
DM took his team to the championship game four years in a row....at least two of those years were totally on his shoulders. DB can't win with a good team against third stringers just to make the playoffs. Any comparison between the two is a joke....DM probably still has his best days ahead of him...DB isn't even able to win any more.

When was Drew Bledsoe ever in question in this thread? i just love how everything is compared to drew lol

Typ0
02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
When was Drew Bledsoe ever in question in this thread? i just love how everything is compared to drew lol

I was trying to explain what is a choke and what is not a choke...and drew is one of the biggest exemplars of choke...so it's natural to use him in the example.

DaBills
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
He didn't play his best game...but he did play well enough that they had a chance to win....I guess some people think choking is equal to losing....choking is losing to Pit in the last week against their third stringers...losing a three point game in the superbowl in the last minute is not a choke.

That game was lost long before the final minute. A lot I'll blame on Reid and his game calling, but the rest is on McNabb.

DaBills
02-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Looks like he was literally choking. Just came across this about how sick he was during the game. Too much Campell's soup before the game? Apparently, too much NE Chow-dah during it too.

http://www.nbc10.com/sports/4176702/detail.html

ajsdx
02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
OK...here's the thing about chokers. They're chokers because they can't win a championship, whether or not they get to it. Jim Kelly choked, a lot. Dan Marino choked, a lot. Elway choked, a lot. Why? Because they were getting beat by dynasties. In basketball, the only superstars who won a championship from 1991 to 1998 were Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon. Everyone else was a big-time choker (Barkley, Malone, et al). It's not that they didn't have the skills or the mental fortitude to win, it's just that they had the misfortune of playing in MJ's era.

Same with everyone else in the NFL right now. They're running into a brick wall. The wall wins every time.

ajsdx
02-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Sorry, I turned it into a dynasty issue, didn't I.

EDS
02-09-2005, 09:06 AM
OK...here's the thing about chokers. They're chokers because they can't win a championship, whether or not they get to it. Jim Kelly choked, a lot. Dan Marino choked, a lot. Elway choked, a lot. Why? Because they were getting beat by dynasties. In basketball, the only superstars who won a championship from 1991 to 1998 were Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon. Everyone else was a big-time choker (Barkley, Malone, et al). It's not that they didn't have the skills or the mental fortitude to win, it's just that they had the misfortune of playing in MJ's era.

Same with everyone else in the NFL right now. They're running into a brick wall. The wall wins every time.

Exactly. If you are going to label Manning, McNabb and Rothlisberger (a rookie!!) as chokers then Jim Kelly is their patron saint. Some of you guys are just way too eager to pin labels on people.

devour
02-09-2005, 01:43 PM

=================================

McNabb threw 300+ and 3 TD against a secondary that was missing 3 out of 4 starters (Eugene Wilson got injured just before the half). He was lucky he did not have at least 5 INT, as 1 was wiped out by a penalty, and another bounced off the chess of Asante Samuel. I wouldn't rave about those stats against the likes of Dexter Reid (4th round rookie), Gus Scott (UDFA), Troy Brown (receiver), and Hank Poteat (picked up 2 weeks ago). Dmac choked big time, as did Manning.

I give a benefit of a doubt to big Ben. He's been sucking down the stretch, probably being tired out from long season, and actually played much better in the second half. I see alot of good character in that kid (poise, humility, accountability) and think that he will be a great one.