PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Draft

justasportsfan
02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd like to hear what Ingtar's take is ...

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

The Indianapolis scouting combines and the plethora of on-campus workouts are still to come, however, the 2005 draft class is starting to come into focus...sort of. And 'sort of' are the operative words as there is still much sorting out to do before April 23rd. Indeed, with just a tad over 70 days to go before the first pick is made at this year's draft, there is no clear consensus as to who the #1 overall prospect is; in fact, there's a barely a clearcut top 10 at this point. What is becoming clearer, though, is that after last year's terrific draft, 2005 might be one of he thinner drafts in recent years. And the overall quality of the 2005 draft wasn't helped when a number of promising underclassmen, starting with Southern California junior QB Matt Leinart who had been expected to be the #1 player picked this year before surprisingly opting to return for his senior season

Tatonka
02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
it is a good year for rbs and olineman, imho. not a good year for wrs and qbs.

dannyek71
02-08-2005, 12:19 PM
draft a wr with #2, OL the rest of the way pretty much

Tatonka
02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
a wr? why?

moulds and evans are the starters.. and aiken and reed can fight out number3.. freddie smith will be number 4 or 5.. why would we use a 2nd rounder on a wr?

dannyek71
02-08-2005, 12:24 PM
a wr? why?

moulds and evans are the starters.. and aiken and reed can fight out number3.. freddie smith will be number 4 or 5.. why would we use a 2nd rounder on a wr?Moulds will be here for how long?

EM is very likely gone after this next season, and if we draft a good WR in the 2nd (Im not saying we take a wr regardless of who is around no matter what) then we can have a great offensive corps (new wr, LE, WM and hopefully JP) for many years to come....

mysticsoto
02-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Moulds will be here for how long?

EM is very likely gone after this next season, and if we draft a good WR in the 2nd (Im not saying we take a wr regardless of who is around no matter what) then we can have a great offensive corps (new wr, LE, WM and hopefully JP) for many years to come....

The sad part is, neither Reed nor Aiken appear to be panning out at the 3rd WR position. Freddie wasn't bad, but one good hit and he's out on IR for the year. We do need another good WR to complement Moulds and Evans. I'm still hoping that Vincent Jackson gets his act together and that we are able to grab him. A 6'6" WR would be a fantastic pickup - as long as he's not like Reed and can hold onto the ball.

We also have to hope Campbell and Euhus are able to come back at top form. I'd like them to use J. Peters at TE also, but they seem more intent on using him as an O-lineman. If he produces well there, then fine with me.

And as for the rest, drafted O-linemen usually don't produce that quickly (look at D. McFarland). I think we need to rely on FA if we want someone to come in and start. And if that is the case, then we can draft Jason Brown as Center. He probably would not be able to start, but could become a powerhouse if he's developed well in the next few years...

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Man I hate this crap, nothing pisses me off more than this. I posted about two months ago that this draft is deep at tackle and the Bills should be able to select a player in the second round that is in need and can possibly start. I get a response on what a joke my post was. Man I can't stand some of the arrogant asses on this board sometimes.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Woops, sorry, I saw the Calvin and I thought it was somebody else.

TigerJ
02-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I think the deepest position in the draft may be DB, specifically CB. I have heard that the OT position is not particularly deep. I'm not sure. I don't think there is a super blue chip like Robert Gallery in the draft, but there are some guys who can play in the NFL. I'd guess there are maybe half a dozen tackles who can start early in their NFL careers.I think there are quite a few serviceable interior guys on the O-line.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I think the deepest position in the draft may be DB, specifically CB. I have heard that the OT position is not particularly deep. I'm not sure. I don't think there is a super blue chip like Robert Gallery in the draft, but there are some guys who can play in the NFL. I'd guess there are maybe half a dozen tackles who can start early in their NFL careers.I think there are quite a few serviceable interior guys on the O-line.

Sorry man, this looks deep to me:

Alex Barron (Florida State)
Jammal Brown (Oklahoma)
Adam Terry (Syracuse)
Chris Colmer (NC State)
Wesley Britt (Alabama)
Michael Munoz (Tennessee)
Logan Mankins (Fresno State)
Ray Willis (Florida State)
Khalif Barnes (Washington)
Rob Petitti (Pittsburgh)

Tatonka
02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Woops, sorry, I saw the Calvin and I thought it was somebody else.

wow.. you need to smoke a joint... :peace:

SABURZFAN
02-09-2005, 02:42 AM
draft a wr with #2, OL the rest of the way pretty much

screw that!!!!!we've wasted enough draft picks on WRs.

Earthquake Enyart
02-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Man I hate this crap, nothing pisses me off more than this. I posted about two months ago that this draft is deep at tackle and the Bills should be able to select a player in the second round that is in need and can possibly start. I get a response on what a joke my post was. Man I can't stand some of the arrogant asses on this board sometimes.
What a joke this post is.

mysticsoto
02-09-2005, 07:33 AM

Lee Evans wasn't a waste. And who have we gotten for WR outside the draft that's worth anything? Drew Haddad? He'll never be more than a backup...If we want Losman to succeed, we need to give him weapons. We have 2 good WRs and 1 good RB. It wouldn't hurt to have another WR to make it 3. If Campbell and Euhus come back fine, that is 2 good TEs to add to the mix.

I'm not saying ignore the O-line. I know it needs work. But b'cse the draft is top heavy on o-linemen, I'd be willing to wait to the 3rd rd before we address it. Or better yet, address it in FA before the draft. We still have a hand to deal with TH and we might as well get something from him since he will otherwise be gone next year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-09-2005, 07:50 AM
What a joke this post is.

:snicker:

User Manuel
02-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Be careful or THe GHOST of Jim Kelly might start whooping your girlfriends a$$ in a bar....oh wait, that was the real Jim Kelly.

My bad..............

I still say Center in the 2nd round. In fact i could live with 4 O-Line picks and the rest on D-line and safety.

A kicker would be nice.........

ryven
02-09-2005, 08:19 AM
if we could get a 2nd for henry i would be happy with this:

2a:K
2b:OL
3: OL
4:FS
5: DL
6:WR
7: best avalible

DraftBoy
02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
if we could get a 2nd for henry i would be happy with this:

2a:K
2b:OL
3: OL
4:FS
5: DL
6:WR
7: best avalible

I still dont like taking a K in round 2 but definetly not with our 1st 2nd rounder (should we get one). Id like:

2a. OL
2b. FS
3. K
4. DE
5. WR
6. OL
7. KR/PR

dannyek71
02-09-2005, 09:56 AM
And as for the rest, drafted O-linemen usually don't produce that quickly (look at D. McFarland)

DM was a 7th rounder.......He probably wont ever develop

justasportsfan
02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
:lolpoint:

dannyek71
02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Who have we drafted in the last 5 years that has been a waste at wr? (other than JR)

Saying Freddie or Sam doesnt really count because look where we drafted them....Probably not going to get a stud wr in the 4th or 7th round

Tatonka
02-09-2005, 10:06 AM
i personally dont see the need to draft a kicker on the first day at all.. look at janakowski.. one of the only first round kickers in a while.. and is he that special? not really..

when were vinateri and vanderjack drafted again?

we have have far to many team needs to use a high pick on a kicker..

vanderjack is probably going to be gone from indy and vinateri is a FA as well, i believe.. can anyone verify.

mysticsoto
02-09-2005, 10:44 AM
i personally dont see the need to draft a kicker on the first day at all.. look at janakowski.. one of the only first round kickers in a while.. and is he that special? not really..

when were vinateri and vanderjack drafted again?

we have have far to many team needs to use a high pick on a kicker..

vanderjack is probably going to be gone from indy and vinateri is a FA as well, i believe.. can anyone verify.

I agree. 3rd is the earliest and even that is pushing it. Doubting that we'd get anything higher than a 3rd for TH, I'd think this might be more appropriate:

2: WR or OT
3a:WR or OT (whichever we didn't get from above)
3b:C
4: K
5: best available OG ?
6: best available DT ? or RB?
7: best available CB ?

I continue to assume that Campbell and Euhus will be fine for next year. That may be a bad assumption on my part. MM, Donahoe and company can better determine if TE is a position we need to worry about.

dannyek71
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Lets do this

2)QB
3)K
4)QB
5)K
6)QB
7)K

If we draft all them, we are bound to get one that is decent arent we?

We havent had a decent kicker or QB since the mid 90's.

:shocked: :funny:

ShadowHawk7
02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Or better yet, address it in FA before the draft. We still have a hand to deal with TH and we might as well get something from him since he will otherwise be gone next year.

Agreed, if we want OL help immediatley week 1 in 2005, it will probably have to be a FA. 2nd and 3rd round picks could start week 10 at the earliest IMO. The draft is very deep in CBs, we should consider taking one day 1, in case Clements jets next year, or to push McGee to become better starting on the other side, or just to have a better nickle back than KT.

TigerJ
02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I think the next best kicker after Nugent is a sixth or seventh rounder. I think such a guy stands a pretty good chance of succeeding in the NFL. Regarding tackles, I think a couple guys; Colmer (health), Mankins, Willis, and Petiti are going to take a couple years to be solid starters. I think probably most of all of them will be solid players in the NFL, but just not immediately. Just my opinion. Of all of them, I probably like Barnes the best.

mysticsoto
02-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Agreed, if we want OL help immediatley week 1 in 2005, it will probably have to be a FA. 2nd and 3rd round picks could start week 10 at the earliest IMO. The draft is very deep in CBs, we should consider taking one day 1, in case Clements jets next year, or to push McGee to become better starting on the other side, or just to have a better nickle back than KT.

A CB on day 1??? That means with our only draft pick on day 1, round 2, you want us to take a CB? I don't know about that. If the draft is deep, maybe we can wait on it til later. Personally, I feel either the O-line, or our missing 3rd WR positions need to be addressed. Clements is something to think about and maybe if they have the cap money after FA, they should look into extending his contract although I think he will probably want to test the market rather than having loyalty to Buffalo like Pat Williams has. We could always draft our 1st pick with a CB next year also if we feel like we will lose him! When looking at CBs in the draft, I thought Jimmy Williams might be a good prospect in the later rounds. He's probably not ready to start, but could be a good project to develop for next year.

Or...we could tell Ty Law, "How would you like to stick it to your old team and join us? Ahem, but at half your current salary?" ...maybe he'll laugh so hard, he'll say yes by accident.

Jan Reimers
02-10-2005, 08:45 AM
If we don't address our O-line problems early in this draft, I'm canceling my membership in the "Tom Donahoe, Certified Genius" Club.

dannyek71
02-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I can see us drafting a cb on day one if we determine that nate is leaving us next year...
but for the most part I agree, with our #2 now that EM is signed long term, we should go with an OL. Should there be no OL that are decent, I say trade down if the opprotnity comes about....

ShadowHawk7
02-10-2005, 11:51 AM
A CB on day 1??? That means with our only draft pick on day 1, round 2, you want us to take a CB? I don't know about that. If the draft is deep, maybe we can wait on it til later. Personally, I feel either the O-line, or our missing 3rd WR positions need to be addressed. Clements is something to think about and maybe if they have the cap money after FA, they should look into extending his contract although I think he will probably want to test the market rather than having loyalty to Buffalo like Pat Williams has. We could always draft our 1st pick with a CB next year also if we feel like we will lose him! When looking at CBs in the draft, I thought Jimmy Williams might be a good prospect in the later rounds. He's probably not ready to start, but could be a good project to develop for next year.

Or...we could tell Ty Law, "How would you like to stick it to your old team and join us? Ahem, but at half your current salary?" ...maybe he'll laugh so hard, he'll say yes by accident.

Just a thought mystic.. Jimmy Williams sounds good to me in day two. WR and OL day one then.

venis2k1
02-10-2005, 12:05 PM

the reason i want nugent in the second is because he is the only guy on the board that is gaurenteed to make the bills better come september.

mysticsoto
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Just a thought mystic.. Jimmy Williams sounds good to me in day two. WR and OL day one then.

Yes, that's what I meant...to draft Williams in the 6th round or so (depending how fast the higher up CBs go). Although I think some analysts have realized that he might be a good prospect given time, and they've raised his value. I'm just hoping other teams' scouts haven't done the same. In one place, I saw him as high as the 5th best CB in the draft!

Bills 4 life
02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
U PEOPLE MIGHT THINK IM NUTS BUT HERE I GO.....

HOW MANY GAMES LAST YEAR WOULD HAVE BEEN WON BY A FG MADE BY THE BILLS? IT IS A MUST TO GET AN ABOVE AVG KICKER TO BE SUCCESSFULL IN THE NFL..TAKE NUGENT!!!!!!!!!
I SAY TAKE JASON CAMPBELL IN THE 3RD FOR A QB. JP LOSMAN IS NOT THE ANSWER...ONLY 6FT AND HE LOOKS PUERTO RICAN! :) CAMPBELL HAS A ROCKET AND HE IS LIKE 6-5..CULPEPPER-LIKE! THEN GET OL LATE ROUNDS AND FA. WE DONT NEED WR'S. TRADE HENRY TO MIA FOR MCMICHAEL..OR GET FRANKS!

mysticsoto
02-11-2005, 08:54 AM
U PEOPLE MIGHT THINK IM NUTS BUT HERE I GO.....

HOW MANY GAMES LAST YEAR WOULD HAVE BEEN WON BY A FG MADE BY THE BILLS? IT IS A MUST TO GET AN ABOVE AVG KICKER TO BE SUCCESSFULL IN THE NFL..TAKE NUGENT!!!!!!!!!
I SAY TAKE JASON CAMPBELL IN THE 3RD FOR A QB. JP LOSMAN IS NOT THE ANSWER...ONLY 6FT AND HE LOOKS PUERTO RICAN! :) CAMPBELL HAS A ROCKET AND HE IS LIKE 6-5..CULPEPPER-LIKE! THEN GET OL LATE ROUNDS AND FA. WE DONT NEED WR'S. TRADE HENRY TO MIA FOR MCMICHAEL..OR GET FRANKS!

Oh yeah, let's throw away our #1 sacrificed pick of this year without even given him a chance. That makes alot of sense! We do need WRs. Currently there is no slot/3rd WR for us to rely on! And Campbell and Euhus (our current TEs) are more than capable.

We can draft O-lineman as backup, but drafting them at lower rounds means we shouldn't be thinking that they will be capable of starting. I think TD will pick impact players that might need a year or so to develop in this draft. I expect him to deal with O-line help in FA. That being said, I can see us getting good prospects such as Jason Brown (C), Vincent Jackson (WR), Jimmy Williams (CB) or other similar talents that might not be ready to start this year, but could become outstanding players in the near future.