PDA

View Full Version : The Patriots are destroying my love of football...

OpIv37
02-08-2005, 10:01 PM
As long as they're playing at this level, we start every season 0-2 and have no shot at winning our division. Yes, 3, 4, 5 years from now, they'll come back down to earth- they're not immune from the cyclical nature of the modern NFL. Here's the problem- by that time, our team will have fallen apart as well, and we'll be in the dreaded "rebuilding" phase again. The Patriots have single handedly doomed the Bills to yet another decade of mediocrity.

So that being said, I've been holding off on my true feelings about the Pats. **** the Patriots. I ****ing hate them with every fiber of my existence. I hope they rot in hell for all eternity. The Patriots are the worst thing to happen to football since the Music City Miracle, and I hope they die slow, painful, excruciating deaths.

There, I feel better.

Kenny
02-09-2005, 12:01 AM
The Patriots are a good team no doubt. But they dont win by completely dominating and blowing out any teams. As long as the scores are close, anyone has a chance... including us.

Pride
02-09-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree... I feel we are the better team because of our talent... we get a QB that wont throw the game... we have a good shot!

Ickybaluky
02-09-2005, 07:08 AM
The Patriots are a good team no doubt. But they dont win by completely dominating and blowing out any teams. As long as the scores are close, anyone has a chance... including us.

I agree that the NFL is a year-to-year proposition, and given how quickly teams rise and fall there should be hope for all teams.

That said, I don't get the "close games" thing after this year. I'll give you the Patriots played a lot of close games in the past. However, this past season the Pats led the NFL in point differencial. They won by a wider margin than every other team in the NFL. Granted, the Super Bowl was close, but they won their other two playoff games by at least 2 TDs, shutting down the NFL's top offense in one and blowing away the top defense in another.

The Pats improved to a top-5 offense last year, with great balance in rushing and passing. Despite a bunch of injuries they were dominant, or at least as dominant as any team is in today's parity-driven NFL.

Historian
02-09-2005, 07:10 AM
I agree with OP, it can get you down, especially when you consider we haven't won the Division since 1995.

Things are cyclical though. I'm sure they were saying that about us 10-12 years ago.

Losing both coordinators has to hurt, doesn't it?

don137
02-09-2005, 07:27 AM
I really think losing both coordinators is the start of the end to the Patriots reign. I think they will still be very good next year but I see them 'falling' to 12-4. The effects will be the year after that. They are very well coached but losing Weis will have serious effects on them.

Pride
02-09-2005, 07:31 AM
I think Weis was a HUGE loss for them. I feel their defense will be great as long as Belechik is there... but make no mistake... the Dolphins beat them, and brady looked horrible the same week Weis was interviewing for and accepting the Notre Dame position. Weis made brady, and by Weis leaving, I think brady will suffer greatly.

DaBills
02-09-2005, 08:21 AM
"As long as they're playing at this level, we start every season 0-2 and have no shot at winning our division. Yes, 3, 4, 5 years from now, they'll come back down to earth- they're not immune from the cyclical nature of the modern NFL. Here's the problem- by that time, our team will have fallen apart as well, and we'll be in the dreaded "rebuilding" phase again. The Patriots have single handedly doomed the Bills to yet another decade of mediocrity.

So that being said, I've been holding off on my true feelings about the Pats. **** the Patriots. I ****ing hate them with every fiber of my existence. I hope they rot in hell for all eternity. The Patriots are the worst thing to happen to football since the Music City Miracle, and I hope they die slow, painful, excruciating deaths.

There, I feel better."

Yeah, it's the Pats and all. I hate them more than any other AFC East rival, but but they earned the SB wins by being a good team. I hated the Cowboys when they beat us twice in SB's. I hate any team that beats us, but I'll acknowledge that they're good teams.

I look at like it's an opportunity. A chance to test yourself against the best in the game. Like the Bulls trying to beat Detroit in the late 80's to 90's. Detroit always had their number until 23 learned how to win. There were players on the Knicks during Jordan's reign who *****ed that he should retire and give someone else a chance to win. Well, beat Jordan, that's how you make him step aside.

Same with NE. If you come up short, at least you went up against the best. We already know how we did vs. .500 and sub .500 teams this year. We aren't good enough to beat NE if things stay the same. Weiss and Crennel leaving may even the playing field. I'll give the nod to BB that he will still call an effective defense, but Brady will now have to shoulder the offensive load.

I think he's a system QB that needs Weiss's creativity to make him effective. The first time the new OC runs into trouble in a game and can't beat defenses, we'll see how much Brady can overcome.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-09-2005, 08:30 AM
As long as they're playing at this level, we start every season 0-2 and have no shot at winning our division. Yes, 3, 4, 5 years from now, they'll come back down to earth- they're not immune from the cyclical nature of the modern NFL. Here's the problem- by that time, our team will have fallen apart as well, and we'll be in the dreaded "rebuilding" phase again. The Patriots have single handedly doomed the Bills to yet another decade of mediocrity.

There, I feel better.

Hmmm, kind of sounds like baseball fans that don't like the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Angels, etc.

Earthquake Enyart
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
We should have beaten the Pats last year at the Ralph. :mad:

I disagree with the initial premise. I think that the Pats give us the much needed team to hate that will make victory over them that much sweeter. They will be the true gauge of were the Bills really stand, twice a year. If you had a schedule full of Seahawks, Rams, or the other borderline playoff teams, you wouldn't really know.

Devin
02-09-2005, 08:46 AM
ill simply say this:

Bills 31 Patriots 0
Dolphins 29 Patriots 28

any given sunday fellas.

Ickybaluky
02-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Personally, I think Crennel is a bigger loss.

They don't have as many experienced coaches on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, Dante Scarnechia is a great coach. Ben Davidson and Brian Daboll (who gets a lot of credit for the Dieon Branch draft pick) are both young up-n-comers. Plus, the Pats have a lot of young talent on offense (Brady, Branch, Givens, Graham, Koppen, Neal, Light, Watson), so they will be able to score. With Brady and Dillon, they should still have a strong offense next year.

They have bigger issues on defense. Teams are after Mangini, Pees and Pepper Johnson (although Mangini probably stays, and Pees and Johnson are under contract so they require permission to leave). They have some good, young DB's, but the loss of possibly Ty Law and Tyrone Poole (if that happens) means they need to build up more depth (especially veteran depth). They have age at LB that could catch up with them. The only real plus is they have one of the best, young DL's in the NFL and should be dominant up front.

It will be interesting to see how the Pats are effected, but nobody knows for sure. As a Pats fan, one thing that makes me feel good is Belichick has been preparing for this, and he always has a plan in place. He likely already knows what is going to happen. The Pats actually involve the assistants in game-planning, so it isn't like it will be new. Again, Belichick's greatest asset is he always prepares and has a plan, so he has prepared for Weis and Crennel leaving.

Another encouraging thing is the Pats will be in good shape next year. the only key contributors they might lose are OG Joe Andruzzi and FB Patrick Pass, and both of them could re-sign. Law and Poole might not be back (although Law isn't a sure thing to be gone), but they have shown they can win without them. They get some good players back from injury who should contribute, including Ben Watson, Dan Klecko, Rodney Bailey, Guss Scott and Tom Ashworth. They have a full draft and should receive a couple of comp picks for Damien Woody and Ted Washington, meaning they will have 9-10 picks. Finally, they are in good cap shape for the coming year.

Really, things aren't that bad.

OpIv37
02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Personally, I think Crennel is a bigger loss.

They don't have as many experienced coaches on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, Dante Scarnechia is a great coach. Ben Davidson and Brian Daboll (who gets a lot of credit for the Dieon Branch draft pick) are both young up-n-comers. Plus, the Pats have a lot of young talent on offense (Brady, Branch, Givens, Graham, Koppen, Neal, Light, Watson), so they will be able to score. With Brady and Dillon, they should still have a strong offense next year.

They have bigger issues on defense. Teams are after Mangini, Pees and Pepper Johnson (although Mangini probably stays, and Pees and Johnson are under contract so they require permission to leave). They have some good, young DB's, but the loss of possibly Ty Law and Tyrone Poole (if that happens) means they need to build up more depth (especially veteran depth). They have age at LB that could catch up with them. The only real plus is they have one of the best, young DL's in the NFL and should be dominant up front.

It will be interesting to see how the Pats are effected, but nobody knows for sure. As a Pats fan, one thing that makes me feel good is Belichick has been preparing for this, and he always has a plan in place. He likely already knows what is going to happen. The Pats actually involve the assistants in game-planning, so it isn't like it will be new. Again, Belichick's greatest asset is he always prepares and has a plan, so he has prepared for Weis and Crennel leaving.

Another encouraging thing is the Pats will be in good shape next year. the only key contributors they might lose are OG Joe Andruzzi and FB Patrick Pass, and both of them could re-sign. Law and Poole might not be back (although Law isn't a sure thing to be gone), but they have shown they can win without them. They get some good players back from injury who should contribute, including Ben Watson, Dan Klecko, Rodney Bailey, Guss Scott and Tom Ashworth. They have a full draft and should receive a couple of comp picks for Damien Woody and Ted Washington, meaning they will have 9-10 picks. Finally, they are in good cap shape for the coming year.

Really, things aren't that bad.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. For a Pats fan, this is great new. For a Bills fan, it's depressing. It's not even the Pro Bowl yet and I already feel like our '05 season is pointless. We're not getting to the SB. If we even make the playoffs, it will be as a wild card, which means we'd have to win three consecutive road games to get to the SB (most likely against teams like NE, Pittsburgh, Indy, etc). That's just not going to happen.

pats-were-right
02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
NE39 - Scott looked like a monster that three weeks I saw him. Imagine if Wilson could move back to corner. . . .

justasportsfan
02-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope Crennel is able to take Mangina ... er mean Mangini away from the Pats.

Michael82
02-09-2005, 11:40 AM

There, I feel better.
Good post, man! :bf1:

I agree with everything you said. I really can't stand the ****ing Patriots and wish they would just disappear. :mad: :curse:

im4bflo
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Any givin' Sunday...
That's why they play the games...
circle the wagons...
I've already predicted they will not 3-peat, or(get this)win the division!
And I'm sticking to it.

OpIv37
02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Any givin' Sunday...
That's why they play the games...
circle the wagons...
I've already predicted they will not 3-peat, or(get this)win the division!
And I'm sticking to it.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but the more I get my hopes up, the more of a let-down it will be when we have a terrible season, in large part due to the Pats.

Alston11
02-09-2005, 08:33 PM
awww now you all are whinning cause u cant beat the pats.....
get used to it.
the pats are great. not as great as the old niners and montana but they are great.
even though they beat my panthers i still respect the team.

jpdex12
02-09-2005, 09:15 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about. For a Pats fan, this is great new. For a Bills fan, it's depressing. It's not even the Pro Bowl yet and I already feel like our '05 season is pointless. We're not getting to the SB. If we even make the playoffs, it will be as a wild card, which means we'd have to win three consecutive road games to get to the SB (most likely against teams like NE, Pittsburgh, Indy, etc). That's just not going to happen.

I bet you thought that the Bills (down by 30+ to start the second half) wouldn't come back to beat the Oilers in a Wildcard game and then go on to the super bowl in 1992 either! Or didn't you watch that game?

OpIv37
02-10-2005, 07:27 AM
I bet you thought that the Bills (down by 30+ to start the second half) wouldn't come back to beat the Oilers in a Wildcard game and then go on to the super bowl in 1992 either! Or didn't you watch that game?

I actually didn't watch that game, but not by choice. I was living in Rochester at the time, which is within the NFL's 75-mile blackout area. The game didn't sell out cuz the Oilers kicked our ass the week before. I did have it on the radio though.