PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Bills likely to tag Jennings?

Jeff1220
02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
PFW: Taking into account a team’s salary-cap situation, which players do you see being named “franchise” players before the Feb. 22 deadline?

OT Jonas Jennings, Bills: He’s not a rare talent by any means, but Jennings has been solid in Buffalo. With ORT Mike Williams a candidate to move inside and Buffalo fearful a team will go overboard for Jennings — as Chicago did with Tait last season, paying him more than $14 million and $8.535 million in base salary — the franchise tag becomes the most viable, and manageable, option. The 27-year-old failed to play 16 games in each of his four pro seasons. Using the tag to keep Pro Bowl CB Nate Clements ($8.816 million) would be a stretch.

IMO, I think PFW is full of it in this case...especially since they're referring to Nate like he's a FA. They should get their facts straight.

Ebenezer
02-09-2005, 12:45 PM
IMO, I think PFW is full of it in this case...especially since they're referring to Nate like he's a FA. They should get their facts straight.
the Bills hands may be forced....loss Jennings and who do you replace him with?? Price is an UFA and has never shown to make it through the year...with no 1st rounder this year there is no immediate help on the horizon...and if you jump into free agency you are going to have to pay some $$ for that...better to dance with the one you brought.

Michael82
02-09-2005, 12:49 PM
:bigwave: Drew

Novacane
02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Sounds like they are just giving an opinion. I doubt they got that from someone in the Bills organization. With our tackle shortage they are not gonna be moving MW inside. Especially after he showed improvement last year. And why would they tag Clements......he's not even a FA

dannyek71
02-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Why tag somebody thats always hurt?

ShadowHawk7
02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I'd much rather put a trasition or even a possible franchise tag on clements next year, than waste one on JJ this year. Clements is an elite CB now, he deserves big money.

McBFLO
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Use the franchise tag on JJ and keep him around for one more year while we find a suitable replacement. Big Mike? a draft pick from this year? a FA?

venis2k1
02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Clements is an elite CB now, he deserves big money.

shhhhhhh he'll hear you.

Ed
02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
What about Jason Peters? He certainly seems to have the size and athletecism to play LT and we've got a great line coach in McNally. I can't imagine he'd be ready to step in take over this year, but he's an interesting prospect to keep an eye on down the road.

Jeff1220
02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
As of right now, how much would JJ get if he played of the Franch.Tag?

Stewie
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
There's no way in hell Jason Peters plays LT in the NFL. If he was any good at blocking, he'd have been a lineman in college.

Albany,n.y.
02-10-2005, 06:13 PM
They lost all credibility when they said Mike Williams would be moved inside. By the end of the season only uninformed, national (jacks of all trades masters of none) writers were unaware of Mike's play at T and that there is no chance he'll be moved to G.

mysticsoto
02-11-2005, 09:40 AM
What about Justin Bannan? We've heard nothing about what plans they might have for him. This past year, McNally had said he liked Bannan and that he could be made to transition to the O-line. And Bannan was all for it. He just want to play. He's obviously not going to unseat Adams or Williams, so why not move him and see what he can do there.

I disagree that J. Peters would make a bad lineman. He has speed and size. Blocking techniques can be worked on. Personally, I like him at TE, as nobody will match up well with him - and he has good, soft hands.

Also, I've read analysts that think they could conceivably move R. Tucker to Center since he has the size (and played well in the position) and move Teague out to Tackle.

There are alot of options besides forcing a Franchise Tag on JJ. I think we should make him a decent offer - and if he wants to go somewhere else for massive amounts of money, then let him. There's no reason to break the bank on someone who is injured often. If push comes to shove, use TH to obtain a decent OL as a trade with ARZ or OAK.

Voltron
02-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Are we allowed to use the tag so soon after using it on Peerless? I remember someone saying there were some type of rules on how many years between the use of the tag.

clumping platelets
02-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Tag is over $7 million.

maybe if they plan to trade him to a team that has already agreed to terms of a deal?

Let's get a #1 back :up: