PDA

View Full Version : PFW on Buffalo: looking at TE

G. Host
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Buffalo

With starter Mark Campbell and 2004 fourth-round draft pick Tim Euhus recovering from late-season knee surgery, Bills TE coach Mike Miller told PFW that the Bills won’t be afraid to look at adding talent at the TE position this offseason. “We feel good with the group that we have, but something that a good team does — and (GM) Tom Donahoe says it and (head coach) Mike (Mularkey) says it — that every year we look to add competition to every position. It’s competition every year, and I think everybody that’s in this business understands that — that change is a constant, especially with free agency and with the emphasis on the draft. Every offseason, that’s something you just have to prepare for.” According to another, unnamed Bills source, the uncertainty of the physical status of both Campbell and Euhus will lead Buffalo to likely draft a tight end for a second straight year. PFW (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast)

ScottLawrence
02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
What was the actual injury to Euhus?

Tatonka
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
i thought he just sprained his knee.

Mr. Cynical
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I'll effin scream if they use anything higher than a #6 on a TE. That effin oline needs serious help, and a rushing DE would be next on my list.

Section 130 Row 26
02-09-2005, 05:52 PM
I'll effin scream if they use anything higher than a #6 on a TE. That effin oline needs serious help, and a rushing DE would be next on my list.
Shut up... TD knows what he's doing and proved your ass wrong. Plus, Free agent, VETERAN o linemen are what we need, not some rookie..... in ANY round.

Would you rather wait to see if the draft pick comes through, while the defense and special teams rot.....or just sign someone and plug them in?

P.S.... Kelsay is a good player opposite Schobel....Tight End is well above that as an area of concern, especially considering how much more it would open our offense if a good pass catcher is brought in. Just remember...the defense was again ranked #2 and this year, didn't have a turnover problem. Not an area of concern.....

JG

TigerJ
02-09-2005, 09:15 PM
He had surgery and it involve a ligament. I thought it was the ACL, but I'm not sure.

buffalofan19
02-09-2005, 10:00 PM
The Bills' top two TE's both ripped their knees up. No telling whether they'll be available for the start of next season. TE is a bigger concern than you think.

clumping platelets
02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Neither player may be ready for the season opener, so right now, our starting TE is maybe Jason Peters or one of the training camp fodder types that has been signed since the end of the season. Neufeld is an UFA but he never really impressed me as anything more than a #3 TE. TE is a need strictly because of the injuries to Campbell and Euhus......HOWEVER, it was proven with the McGahee choice, do not pass over quality

Mr. Cynical
02-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Shut up... TD knows what he's doing and proved your ass wrong. Plus, Free agent, VETERAN o linemen are what we need, not some rookie..... in ANY round.

Would you rather wait to see if the draft pick comes through, while the defense and special teams rot.....or just sign someone and plug them in?

P.S.... Kelsay is a good player opposite Schobel....Tight End is well above that as an area of concern, especially considering how much more it would open our offense if a good pass catcher is brought in. Just remember...the defense was again ranked #2 and this year, didn't have a turnover problem. Not an area of concern.....

JG
If you don't think the oline is the NUMBER 1 priority on this team then I don't know what team you've been watching. And while it's not a huge priority, if you think Kelsay is the answer with 4.5 sacks and 22 tackles, that speaks volumes. Schobel needs a better counterpart for our D to get needed pressure on the QB.

And just so you know there are more good FA TEs than good FA OL this year.

P.S. If you've ever bothered to read my posts I said that if JP/Evans/McGahee pan out and we make the playoffs next year, I will change my opinion of TD. I'm not going to just blindly continue to question his ability if true improvements are made AND we start winning for real.

YardRat
02-10-2005, 12:26 AM
I don't think TE will be addressed too early in the draft, regardless of Campbell and Euhus's status to start the season...we're more likely to see a veteran, serviceable FA come in here to fill the gap until one of the younger guys are ready to play again. I don't think TD will "waste" a fairly high draft pick on a guy based on a "need" TE for the first month of the season.

If Cambell and Euhus were both aging veterans it might be different story...but they're not.

Mr. Cynical
02-10-2005, 03:26 AM
I don't think TE will be addressed too early in the draft, regardless of Campbell and Euhus's status to start the season...we're more likely to see a veteran, serviceable FA come in here to fill the gap until one of the younger guys are ready to play again. I don't think TD will "waste" a fairly high draft pick on a guy based on a "need" TE for the first month of the season.

If Cambell and Euhus were both aging veterans it might be different story...but they're not.
:up:

shotgun
02-10-2005, 04:42 AM
i think the bills are set @ te if we draft a te it will be a wast

ShadowHawk7
02-10-2005, 11:45 AM

JG

Agreed, I'd rather sign a top teir OL in the FA, for immediate help, than use our 2nd rounder on one.

McBFLO
02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the TEs we have are fine, but the injuries to that position do bring up a bit of doubt. If we do draft one, when? At some point, wouldn'it be wasting a pick? If we do draft one, I'd say use our 3rd or 4th rounder. 2nd is too high, and after the 4th, it's too much of a gamble to use a pick on.