PDA

View Full Version : Mort thinks Drew will be gone.

Canadian'eh!
02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Just bringing the news that Mort said in his chat today that he thinks the Bills are no longer asking Drew to take a paycut and they are simply deciding if they want to keep him or not. He thinks they feel that the team is so solid on D, ST and running game that they will not take as big a step back as many teams do with young QB's.

He also speculated that Dallas could be interested when the time comes.

BillsFever21
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
:bravo:

clumping platelets
02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Did he speculate on who the back up would be?

Right now, only J. P. Losman, Kevin Thompson, and Troy Woodbury are under contract at QB

Mr. Cynical
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
:party: :party: :party:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Hope springs anew. :up:

venis2k1
02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
its like a can feel the weight being lifted off of my chest.

Tatonka
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
i would love to see us grab someone like garcia to be the back up..

Mr. Cynical
02-09-2005, 11:46 PM
A.B.D. :D

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-10-2005, 12:25 AM
If Bledsoe isn't back, the BILLS will probably bring back Shane Mathews that is my guess he's a veteran and the games he got into he looked like he knew the plays. Second see what this QB we signed to NFL Europe is like. Or third possibilty draft another QB later in the rounds of the draft would the BILLS do that?
:feedback:

mybills
02-10-2005, 05:50 AM
Shane Mathews is my guess, too.

Alston11
02-10-2005, 06:25 AM
since matthews knows the system it should be him.....

OpIv37
02-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I thought Matthews was retiring (again)

Forward_Lateral
02-10-2005, 08:23 AM
I'd prefer to see a guy like Griese, or even Gus Frerotte as the backup. Jeff "the lisp" is useless, IMO, I think he has no interest in playing in frigid (said with a lisp) weather anyways.

As for Shane, do we really think he can step in and be productive if he has to? I'm not so sure he's the right option here.

Novacane
02-10-2005, 08:46 AM
The fat lady is now stepping to the microphone :mex:

DraftBoy
02-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Id like to see us bring in two qb's, one being a proven vet, and the other being a young guy who hasnt gotten a fair shake really (like Rob Admanson)

Patti120
02-10-2005, 09:00 AM
We should bring back Rob Johnson, oh excuse me, we should kill RJ.. That's what i meant to say

Michael82
02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd like to see the Bills bring in another Johnson to backup Losman....

Brad Johnson.

McBFLO
02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see the Bills bring in another Johnson to backup Losman....

Brad Johnson.

I like that idea. Also, depending on the situation with Gannon, maybe he would be a nice fit for a year.

tampabay25690
02-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I'd prefer to see a guy like Griese, or even Gus Frerotte as the backup. Jeff "the lisp" is useless, IMO, I think he has no interest in playing in frigid (said with a lisp) weather anyways.

As for Shane, do we really think he can step in and be productive if he has to? I'm not so sure he's the right option here.

Griese will be to much $$ , and I dont see him leaving Tampa.....

BillsFanCupp38
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
If the Bills get rid of Bledsoe it would be committing NFL suicide. After all the progress he made this year how can you get rid of him. Losman is still a rookie for crying out loud. He missed half the season with an injury and you people want to throw him in their to the lions. I can see it all happening again, remember when we kept Rob Johnson instead of Flutie. We kept the young guy instead of the veteran. Everybody remembers what happend then and i dont want to see Buffalo make the same mistake. Next year is not a rebuilding year, next year is when we seriously try to make it to the big game. How we gonna make it to the big game with a QB in their that doesnt have any expirience or any idea what the hell he's doing. It's just down right wrong if we get rid of Bledsoe, he knows the system know and he can only get better.

The Black Bear
02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
theblackbear has said this at BuffaloBills.com in the past and more recenty at Fan Central.

The perfect choice to backup J.P. Losman is Kordell Stewart.

He already knows the offense and has experience playing with Mularkey in regular season and playoff games. Stewart is not good starter material but he can be a good backup to J.P. Losman. He can also play in a run run system. He just isn't the type of quarterback that will win a game for you if you fall behind.

It makes the most sense to bring in Stewart!

theblackbear would not be the least bit suprised if the Bills talked to Stewart about 2005 when he met with the team last year in the offseason.

:peace:

Novacane
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
If the Bills get rid of Bledsoe it would be committing NFL suicide. After all the progress he made this year how can you get rid of him. .

:roflmao:

McBFLO
02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
If the Bills get rid of Bledsoe it would be committing NFL suicide. After all the progress he made this year how can you get rid of him. Losman is still a rookie for crying out loud. He missed half the season with an injury and you people want to throw him in their to the lions. I can see it all happening again, remember when we kept Rob Johnson instead of Flutie. We kept the young guy instead of the veteran. Everybody remembers what happend then and i dont want to see Buffalo make the same mistake. Next year is not a rebuilding year, next year is when we seriously try to make it to the big game. How we gonna make it to the big game with a QB in their that doesnt have any expirience or any idea what the hell he's doing. It's just down right wrong if we get rid of Bledsoe, he knows the system know and he can only get better.

Oh my god! Why can't you people let Flutie go?! He is, was, and always has been a below average QB, at best! Not to mention a locker room cancer. Glad he's gone, wish he was never here!

The_Philster
02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I like that idea. Also, depending on the situation with Gannon, maybe he would be a nice fit for a year.

:scratch: Gannon likely won't be in Oakland next year. Turner will likely go with Collins and dump Gannon

The perfect choice to backup J.P. Losman is Kordell Stewart. It makes the most sense to bring in Stewart! :puke:

RedEyE
02-10-2005, 06:02 PM
theblackbear has said this at BuffaloBills.com in the past and more recenty at Fan Central.

He already knows the offense and has experience playing with Mularkey in regular season and playoff games. Stewart is not good starter material but he can be a good backup to J.P. Losman. He can also play in a run run system. He just isn't the type of quarterback that will win a game for you if you fall behind.

theblackbear would not be the least bit suprised if the Bills talked to Stewart about 2005 when he met with the team last year in the offseason.

I actually agree with the Black Bear. Losman will still need veteran talent to show him the ropes. I'm not saying Kordell is the best fit, but he certainly makes the most sense.

Need a veteran scambling QB to assist in Losman's grooming.

juice
02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Sounds like Mort is reporting his opinion. What if JP goes 0-3 who do you bring in?

fanman
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree with blackbear. I thought Kordell was going to be here last year and wouldn't be surprised if they pick him up this offseason. that is if matthews and bledsoe are both released

STAMPY
02-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I want Drew to stay, As a back up plan. I don't want Matthews to come off bench, that's outrageous. We have a rookie prolly starting, in case he gets hurt or struggles... we need a Vet QB who has some success in his career.

I believe JP and Drew should battle it out and i prefer JP wins and drew backs up, but if drew outplays him in camp. It's his job.

Forward_Lateral
02-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I want Drew to stay, As a back up plan. I don't want Matthews to come off bench, that's outrageous. We have a rookie prolly starting, in case he gets hurt or struggles... we need a Vet QB who has some success in his career.

I believe JP and Drew should battle it out and i prefer JP wins and drew backs up, but if drew outplays him in camp. It's his job.

That might be the best post I've seen in months.

pleasesavedrew
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
No Way!!!!!!!!!!!
At least give Dtrew a shot to win his job.

McBFLO
02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
What about Gannon, if he's available. He's more the scrambling type.

Iehoshua
02-10-2005, 09:34 PM
What about Gannon, if he's available. He's more the scrambling type.
...except he's older and as brittle as a twig at this point unfortunately...

Dozerdog
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Gannon is a WCO QB. If he comes back he will retire a Raider

Mr. Cynical
02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree with blackbear as well. Stewart would be a good choice - cheap, familiar with MM/TC and mobile so the playbook wouldn't change much. He's no starter but could hold the fort for a few games if JP goes down.

The Natrix
02-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't mind having Stewart here. Maybe as third string even. He would be a good weapon to bring in on 4th and short as well as trick plays. Not saying the bills need more trick plays.

Spiderweb
02-11-2005, 12:40 AM

:peace:

Didn't the Bills have talks with Stewart last year? Sorry, but this isn't news or insight.

DaBills
02-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Gannon had a broken vertebrae. Too risky.

"If the Bills get rid of Bledsoe it would be committing NFL suicide. After all the progress he made this year how can you get rid of him. Losman is still a rookie for crying out loud. He missed half the season with an injury and you people want to throw him in their to the lions.... expirience or any idea what the hell he's doing. It's just down right wrong if we get rid of Bledsoe, he knows the system know and he can only get better."

The only ones committing suicide will be the fans who have to watch him for another season.

I can't believe it. I'm using the same response to the same point about Rob Johnson after his brilliant stay: Just how many years are we supposed to give him anyway? Three is more than enough, ESPECIALLY given his erratic play.

Improving? His first year was great, then mediocrity was snatched from the jaws of improvment. Not to mention he had arguably better offensive weapons in 2003 and 2004, yet struggled against sub-.500 teams and a Pitt 2nd string when it counted most.

The Natrix
02-11-2005, 01:11 AM
The only ones committing suicide will be the fans who have to watch him for another season.

Agreed. Now we wouldn't want to lose any fellow zoners, would we? J.P.! J.P.!

justasportsfan
02-11-2005, 03:12 AM
No Way!!!!!!!!!!!
At least give Dtrew a shot to win his job.was your old name Saviorbledsoe?

Canadian'eh!
02-11-2005, 03:59 AM
I agree with blackbear as well. Stewart would be a good choice - cheap, familiar with MM/TC and mobile so the playbook wouldn't change much. He's no starter but could hold the fort for a few games if JP goes down.

So... Kordell Stewart could lead thjis team if Losman gets hurt better than Drew? RIIIIIGHT.... Kordell can't understand playbooks and flat out stinks. He's only slightly smarter than a ******ed Dolphin.

The_Philster
02-11-2005, 05:04 AM
So... Kordell Stewart could lead thjis team if Losman gets hurt better than Drew? RIIIIIGHT.... Kordell can't understand playbooks and flat out stinks. He's only slightly smarter than a ******ed Dolphin.

Not everyone has seen what Stewart plays like...maybe some like being ignorant of that. :idunno: :;

Historian
02-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Can we give Mort some rep?

Stewart seems a logical choice, at a bargain basement price.

Did he an TD get along in Pittsburgh?

EDS
02-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Kordell Stewart stinks, so who cares if he is familiar with the offense. If JP gets injured or struggles the Bills need someone who can come in and play. Stewart is not that guy. Stewart, despite his experience, still cannot read a defense so he has no wisdom to impart of JP. There is a reason he was not playing in the NFL last year.

mybills
02-11-2005, 08:15 AM

:spit: :chuckle: :mex:

DaBills
02-11-2005, 10:26 AM
I tend to believe Mort. He's the one that pretty much reported DB coming here in the first place.

"only slightly smarter than a ******ed Dolphin."

Is there any other kind?

;-p

RedEyE
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Kordell Stewart stinks, so who cares if he is familiar with the offense. If JP gets injured or struggles the Bills need someone who can come in and play. Stewart is not that guy. Stewart, despite his experience, still cannot read a defense so he has no wisdom to impart of JP. There is a reason he was not playing in the NFL last year.

Uhhhh.....He was back up in Baltimore last year.

Dozerdog
02-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't mind having Stewart as a #3 QB at vet minimum. Better than Travis Brown.

If the Bills go with Losman, then I would prefer an experiencecd vet (Bledsoe at a paycut, Kitna if available, Brad Johnson, Dilfer if available)

Stewart at vet min would be OK for a #3, or Matthews if he wants to come back

Canadian'eh!
02-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't mind having Stewart as a #3 QB at vet minimum. Better than Travis Brown.

If the Bills go with Losman, then I would prefer an experiencecd vet (Bledsoe at a paycut, Kitna if available, Brad Johnson, Dilfer if available)

Stewart at vet min would be OK for a #3, or Matthews if he wants to come back

I have been forced into hearing about Stewart for the past couple years because my friend is a diehard Baltimore fan and heused yo always play well against them. here's what i do know. Stewart was given a hot to START in Chicago and could not learn the playbook... it took him 3-4 years to learn it in Pittsburgh to begin with... and he never adjusted to changes. apparently he doesn't hard at it either, which is stupid since he's not overly bright to begin with. Even at the lowest point of Bollers season Stewart never saw the field. It's possible that Billick was FINALLY dedicating himself to 1 QB, but with history of QB changes i doubt he was unwilling to make a switch in a game that they could have won by making a change.

Anyway, he's been given a chance and blown it 3 times now. He's just no a good enough player. Though he still thinks he's a STARTER calibre QB. I doubt he's willing to sign for the vet min and i wouldn't like the idea of needing him to win games.

The bottom line is Losman is going to be looking to make plays with his legs a lot. We all know tha that means a higher risk of injuries. We need a more dependable #2 than Stewart.

Drew would probably be ideal.. he does know the system and we DID win 9 games with him last year. But at what cost? cutting him to save 1 million that would just be wasted trying to find anotehr backup Qb doesn't make much sense to me. But i rather doubt he's willing to be a backup if he could have a starting job somewhere else.

Personally... I am hoping Tommy Maddox gets cut. He knows the coaches and IF he cant get a starting job somewhere it might seem like a good fit to backup a young QB and have a descent shot to play.

Too bad Quincy relapsed as he may have been a good option. I can't stand Brenda Warner or his wife. If people didn't like Drew for lack of mobility and turnovers you'd HATE Warner.

Kelly Holcumb is rumoured to be staying in cleveland.

Jeff Garcia is rumoured back to San Fran.

we better hope drews willing to be a backup or someone else gets cut or we have some very slim pickings.