PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

Devin
02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Humor me, but just out of curiosity assuming we do well in FA/Draft for OL depth with the type of running game we will likely have and Evans and Moulds at WR (this isnt a Drew bashing thread just a hypothetical) with a mobile QB like Losman wouldnt he better fit the "Speed" offence we would have.

Im not implying he is better then Drew because obviously this early on he isnt. I am simply asking apart some rookies mistakes shouldnt he actually fit in nicely?

Given our D and ST likely wont see to much change, adding a little depth at OL and maybe another recieving threat id tend to say we are actually in pretty good shape.

Guess all im saying is next season doesnt seem to bad at all to me.

Marvelous
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
If Lousman plays then imo we will be in trouble. This kid is green and has a ways to go to be a starter. Missing his rookie season didn't help. IMO we need a journeyman to come in like Mcmahan or tony banks. nothing great but with the weapons we have, hell even Drew was able to play conservative the last 8 weeks.

I don't know why everyone is all up on JP's sac. I guess some fans just believe no matter what.

Devin
02-10-2005, 01:00 PM
well I like Jp and im glad we have him, my post was just trying to get a gauge on why he would fail as a QB in this system his first year.

Whats working against him? Simply the fact hes in his 2nd year?

ryjam282
02-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I think he could so OK. I don't think he would do as bad as some on here think but I also don't think we will win 15 games next year either. Somewhere in between :bad:

Marvelous
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
No pun intended Dev. IMO just because JP was a 1st rounder doesn't mean he is all that. I'm not a fan until he proves he can play.
I think he will struggle because of the tough defenses in the east. Like i said before, bring in a 1 year QB to push or even start for a year. Regardless Drew needs to leave asap!

mysticsoto
02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
If Lousman plays then imo we will be in trouble. This kid is green and has a ways to go to be a starter. Missing his rookie season didn't help. IMO we need a journeyman to come in like Mcmahan or tony banks. nothing great but with the weapons we have, hell even Drew was able to play conservative the last 8 weeks.

I don't know why everyone is all up on JP's sac. I guess some fans just believe no matter what.

The reason I think people are supporting Losman is b'cse we saw what DB is capable of. And very few people seem to believe he can take us into the playoffs, much less the superbowl. Name one game last year that we can say Drew was awesome? Or that he won us that game? I don't think there was any. The games we did win were against poor teams and ones where we were running all over them. Also, our ST and DEF had alot to do with those wins. Therefore, inserting JP will not likely hurt us much since we are now a ball control offense and primarily a running team. If the line gets better due to better depth, and McGahee now starts (compared to not starting until the 3rd game last year), and if we are able to pick up a decent 3rd WR, how are we in any worse shape with Losman leading? Handing off the ball to Willis is something that Losman will easily be able to do. As to passing and throwing every so often, he might make a few mistakes here and there, but Drew Bledsoe is far from perfect and has made plenty of mistakes with all the experience he has. Sooner or later, you need to give the kid experience. How is he going to get any by benchwarming?

All the arguments against JP starting apply next year, the year after, the year after that, etc. He's too green...he doesn't have enough experience. Well, he will never have that experience unless we let him play! So let's do it!

Novacane
02-10-2005, 01:54 PM
I guess some fans just believe no matter what.

You mean like the fans who still believe we can win big with Drew despite what we have seen from him for 2+ years

Devin
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Look fellas the NFL is the NFL. You dont get to this level by being bad. Any starting QB in the NFL will have thier bad days.

Im not bashing Drew at all, my personal feelings aside he will start somewhere next season and will eventually likely be in the HOF.

As far as JP is concerned I think this type of system suits him. While I dont expect a superbowl season, with the coaching we have and the tools around him with some OL depth and perhaps another offensive threat either at TE or WR I have a hard time figuring out how he couldnt win 9/10 games.

Hes green yes, but im looking more at him as a player other then statistically what happens to 1/2 year QB's.

Jan Reimers
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
We won't be as bad off as many teams are with an inexperienced QB. We have a stout D, great special teams, a power running game, and at least a couple of really good WRs.

If we use the Cowher-Roethlisberger model, i.e., depend on our strengths and not ask too much of JP, we'll be fine. Besides, JP's running ability will give us a new dimension, and will be a real plus for a young guy who won't be real adept as yet at reading defenses.

Devin
02-10-2005, 02:37 PM
yeah thats more of what I was getting at. With his physical pluses I dont think rookie mistakes will hurt as much. I.e he wont take as many sacks, and may have a few good runs.

This first year may have some growing pains but with our personnel I believe it wont be as bad as we think.

EDS
02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
yeah thats more of what I was getting at. With his physical pluses I dont think rookie mistakes will hurt as much. I.e he wont take as many sacks, and may have a few good runs.

This first year may have some growing pains but with our personnel I believe it wont be as bad as we think.

My concern is that he will run and try and make things happen leading to really bad plays/turnovers rather then just throwing the ball away. Based on your original post - same team plus good draft and free agent pick-ups fortifying the o-line, we would be better off with a caretaker who will just sit in the pocket and dump the ball off - because the improved line play will give the QB more time to throw.

I want JP to start this upcoming season but, based on what I have read about him, he is a little bit of a gunslinger (ala a young Farve, Elway, Young, etc.) so he will make some big mistakes while trying to make big plays. That type of play - high risk - does not fit well with a strong running oriented team with a good defense. That type of team want a QB who simply plays within himself and does not make mistakes.

So for next year, I am not sure how we will do but if JP does mature into a good QB then it will be worthwhile taking our lumps with him next year.

mysticsoto
02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
My concern is that he will run and try and make things happen leading to really bad plays/turnovers rather then just throwing the ball away. Based on your original post - same team plus good draft and free agent pick-ups fortifying the o-line, we would be better off with a caretaker who will just sit in the pocket and dump the ball off - because the improved line play will give the QB more time to throw.

I want JP to start this upcoming season but, based on what I have read about him, he is a little bit of a gunslinger (ala a young Farve, Elway, Young, etc.) so he will make some big mistakes while trying to make big plays. That type of play - high risk - does not fit well with a strong running oriented team with a good defense. That type of team want a QB who simply plays within himself and does not make mistakes.

So for next year, I am not sure how we will do but if JP does mature into a good QB then it will be worthwhile taking our lumps with him next year.

Here's one thing to keep in mind, it takes a while for an O-line to gel (as we saw last year) and if we introduce new people and rotate people around (move Ross Tucker to Center or draft one), Jennings leaving, Teague possibly playing Tackle or a FA coming in, etc, the line will once again take awhile to gel. In the mean time, DB will be roadkill. Whereas, Losman had a terrible O-line in college and is mobile and used to have to fend for himself and survive - and did fairly well. As good as a line may be, you can't hold out forever! And then there are blitz packages and so forth that may not be picked up well or we may not have anybody in the backfield to do so. The QB having mobility is always a plus, even if we have a line designed to defend well and give the QB more time!

EDS
02-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Here's one thing to keep in mind, it takes a while for an O-line to gel (as we saw last year) and if we introduce new people and rotate people around (move Ross Tucker to Center or draft one), Jennings leaving, Teague possibly playing Tackle or a FA coming in, etc, the line will once again take awhile to gel. In the mean time, DB will be roadkill. Whereas, Losman had a terrible O-line in college and is mobile and used to have to fend for himself and survive - and did fairly well. As good as a line may be, you can't hold out forever! And then there are blitz packages and so forth that may not be picked up well or we may not have anybody in the backfield to do so. The QB having mobility is always a plus, even if we have a line designed to defend well and give the QB more time!

Just to be devil's advocate here, a quarterback with good pocket awareness and no mobility will have the same result. Step-up and get rid of the ball can be better then running around the backfield looking to make something happen. Drew has neither mobility nor pocket awareness so my post had nothing to do with him. Rather it went to the original posters question that our young JP will be a good fit for the Bills given the way the rest of the roster is shaping up.

I want JP to start this year and hope he suceeds but am realistic in that he could easily be as bad as Kyle Boller. JP will benefit from having better receivers, but Boller had a better o-line.

Devin
02-11-2005, 08:32 AM
yeah this is true. Well to stave off any arguments, I personally feel id like to get JP's growing pains out of the way. But if we are winning with a cheerleader at QB im not going to care.

Either way I feel JP is a lot more athletic and with the group we have here he could be a little more productive then people think.

mysticsoto
02-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, as of right now, I don't feel DB has done anything in the past 2 years that JP can't do. The only thing I'm worried about JP is how durable he is. I want to feel comfortable when he gets hit that he is tough and will bounce back. I don't want to wince anytime a blitz package gets through and he gets hit.

But as far as performance goes, McGahee is still our workhorse and our style of offense will not ask the world of our quarterback. Like Roethlisburger, we have a similar style of offense and if JP is given the chance, he just might show people what he can do.

Devin
02-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Well in college didnt JP work behind one of the worst OL's in like college history? I thought one of his big pluses was how durable he was.

wbat27
02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
IMO drew makes as many mistakes as a "green" Losman. I think that losman is a much better athlete and gives us a better chance to win. Sorry if you disagree but Bledsoe dosen't show me much and makes alot of rokkie mistakes for a vet.