Drew Bledsoe, Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Drew Bledsoe, Hall of Famer?

Someone mentioned in another thread that Drew Bledsoe is a likely candidate for the HOF. A couple weeks back, I heard a local sports guy spout off about how great Drew Bledsoe is and that the Bills didn't use him properly.

I was a huge supporter of Drew when he came to Buffalo. For the month or so that there were rumors flying around about the possibility of trading for him, I was all for it. When Drew ripped up preaseason and his first eight games, I was on cloud nine. I think he's a class act and a solid football player.

But he's not a hall of famer. Not in my opinion.

Lets look at some of his career stats compared to Jeff Blake. I don't think there's anyone out there who's going to try and convince you that JB is a hall of fame player.

Jeff entered the league in '92, Drew in '93.

Games played: Jeff = 117, Drew = 172.
    Lifetime completion percentage: Jeff=56.3, Drew 57.0
    Total yards: Jeff=21,656, Drew=39,808
    Yards per attempt: Jeff=6.70, Drew=6.58
    Total touchdowns: Jeff=133, Drew=221
    Total interceptions: Jeff=99, Drew=181
    Touchdowns per 100 attempts: Jeff=4.11, Drew=3.65
    Interceptions per 100 attempts: Jeff=3.06, Drew=2.99
    Career rating: Jeff=77.9, Drew=76.7

This tells me something: Jeff Blake and Drew Bledsoe, for all intents and purposes, produce equally on the football field. Drew has more yards, touchdowns, a better int ratio, and probably better longevity. Jeff has fewer interceptions, a better TD ratio, yards per attempt and career rating. Also, his TD/INT ratio is better than Drew's, even though Drew has played on much better teams (Blake played on early '90's jets, cincinatti, and arizona for the bulk of his career). If you project Jeff's numbers to Drew's attempts, they're very similar.

So I ask you: why does Drew even have a shot at hall of fame consideration?
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    also cheese
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

NFL Records and 40,000 yards. Youngest QB to throw for 20,000 yards. And a franchise was rebuilt on his back.

Last edited by The King; 02-11-2005, 10:26 AM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• regor
      • Jul 2002

If Bledsoe can get in than the HOF is nothing to brag about

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
        NFL Records and 40,000 yards. Youngest QB to throw for 20,000 yards. And a franchise was rebuilt on his back.
        that's true- before Bledsoe's arrival, NE had back to back 2-14 seasons and was the joke of the NFL. Although he wasn't the one to finally bring home the championship, he's the one who got the ball rolling and brought enough respect to the team to attract quality players.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Stewie
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          that's true- before Bledsoe's arrival, NE had back to back 2-14 seasons and was the joke of the NFL. Although he wasn't the one to finally bring home the championship, he's the one who got the ball rolling and brought enough respect to the team to attract quality players.
          I'm sure, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, Curtis Martin and Ben Coates had nothing to do with it. It must have been all Drew.
          I love Weiner.
          also cheese

Comment

• illusionone
            Guns N Roses
            • Aug 2003

He's a Hall of Famer in my book

Welcome To The Jungle
            -GNR 2005

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by paulB
              I'm sure, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, Curtis Martin and Ben Coates had nothing to do with it. It must have been all Drew.

You should know that the QB draws more press than all 4 of the above mentioned.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Stewie
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                You should know that the QB draws more press than all 4 of the above mentioned.
                Since I've never played sports professionally I can only make assumptions. I would tend to think that 1. money, 2. a chance to win, and 3. a chance to start would rank above having a qb on your team who draws press.

Besides, is there any group other than the press that players hold in lower regard? I mean, 99% of them are guys who could never get a glimpse of a field as a player, yet they act like they know it all and they call out players for being too bad, too much of a *****, etc.
                I love Weiner.
                also cheese

Comment

• BAM
                  • Sep 2003

Someone mentioned in another thread that Drew Bledsoe is a likely candidate for the HOF. A couple weeks back, I heard a local sports guy spout off about how great Drew Bledsoe is and that the Bills didn't use him properly.

I was a huge supporter of Drew when he came to Buffalo. For the month or so that there were rumors flying around about the possibility of trading for him, I was all for it. When Drew ripped up preaseason and his first eight games, I was on cloud nine. I think he's a class act and a solid football player.

But he's not a hall of famer. Not in my opinion.

Lets look at some of his career stats compared to Jeff Blake. I don't think there's anyone out there who's going to try and convince you that JB is a hall of fame player.

Jeff entered the league in '92, Drew in '93.

Games played: Jeff = 117, Drew = 172.
                  Lifetime completion percentage: Jeff=56.3, Drew 57.0
                  Total yards: Jeff=21,656, Drew=39,808
                  Yards per attempt: Jeff=6.70, Drew=6.58
                  Total touchdowns: Jeff=133, Drew=221
                  Total interceptions: Jeff=99, Drew=181
                  Touchdowns per 100 attempts: Jeff=4.11, Drew=3.65
                  Interceptions per 100 attempts: Jeff=3.06, Drew=2.99
                  Career rating: Jeff=77.9, Drew=76.7

This tells me something: Jeff Blake and Drew Bledsoe, for all intents and purposes, produce equally on the football field. Drew has more yards, touchdowns, a better int ratio, and probably better longevity. Jeff has fewer interceptions, a better TD ratio, yards per attempt and career rating. Also, his TD/INT ratio is better than Drew's, even though Drew has played on much better teams (Blake played on early '90's jets, cincinatti, and arizona for the bulk of his career). If you project Jeff's numbers to Drew's attempts, they're very similar.

So I ask you: why does Drew even have a shot at hall of fame consideration?

Welcome back, wys. I think he has made this comparison 100+ times.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Seems that reality hasn't sunken in yet, so I'll repeat my post from another thread ...

QBs IN THE HALL OF FAME

Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952
                    Earl (Dutch) Clark 1931-1932, 1934-1938
                    Jimmy Conzelman 1920-1929
                    John (Paddy) Driscoll 1920-1929
                    Arnie Herber 1930-1940, 1944-1945
                    Sid Luckman 1939-1950
                    Clarence (Ace) Parker 1937-141, 1945-1946
                    George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
                    Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
                    Len Dawson 1957-1975
                    John Elway 1983-1998
                    Dan Fouts 1973-1987
                    Otto Graham 1946-1955
                    Bob Griese 1967-1980
                    Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974
                    Jim Kelly 1986-1996
                    Bobby Layne 1948-1962
                    Dan Marino 1983-1999
                    Joe Montana 1979-1994
                    Joe Namath 1965-1977
                    Bart Starr 1956-1971
                    Roger Staubach 1969-1979
                    Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978
                    Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
                    Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
                    Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
                    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
                    Steve Young 1985-1999

Current/recent QBs likely to make it: Favre, Manning, Brady, Aikman.

Look at how exclusive that list is. To run up big career numbers by mere longevity is not enough. You have to be a championship-caliber QB, one who is consistently among the best in the league. Drew has been neither. He's had three big years (four if you count 1994, when he threw 27 INTs) -- that's a quarter of his career. Zero titles where he was the starter. His career rating is 76.6.

He's comparable to Dave Krieg or Warren Moon or Boomer Esiason. When you consider that they aren't in (nor SB winners Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Ken Stabler, Phil Simms), Drew cannot touch the HOF.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

And I'm sure some of those guys wouldn't have even talked to NE if Bledsoe wasn't there as a foundation. I'm not saying that this on it's own makes Bledsoe worthy of the hall of fame. I'm saying that he took a crappy team and made them respectable- NE is a dynasty and Bledsoe contributed the foundation that it was built on. That's why the Jeff Blake comparison is ridiculous. He played for 3 crappy teams that are still crappy a decade later- he didn't contribute to their improvement at all. Bledsoe's certainly no Montana or Marino, but don't let the fact that he's not the next Jim Kelly take away from what he did accomplish.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        And I'm sure some of those guys wouldn't have even talked to NE if Bledsoe wasn't there as a foundation. I'm not saying that this on it's own makes Bledsoe worthy of the hall of fame. I'm saying that he took a crappy team and made them respectable- NE is a dynasty and Bledsoe contributed the foundation that it was built on.
                        The ONLY thing Drew did to contribute to the Patriots dynasty is get injured.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• regor
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape

How true

Comment

• Stewie
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                            Exactly.

Why is it Parcells and Belicheck won Super Bowls before Drew, and Belicheck started winning super bowls immediately post-drew? With the same team.

?
                            I love Weiner.
                            also cheese

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

He's comparable to Dave Krieg or Warren Moon or Boomer Esiason. When you consider that they aren't in (nor SB winners Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Ken Stabler, Phil Simms), Drew cannot touch the HOF.
                              I am a Drew fan, and a Drew supporter, member of the DLC, whatever you call it. And I have to say, what you just said is 100 % dead on. Has Drew had a good career? Yes? A Great career? Perhaps, but a HOF career? No.

Comment

Working...
                              X