PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks granted permission by Pats to interview Scott Pioli...

Ickybaluky
02-12-2005, 07:31 AM
This (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/02/12/seahawks_seek_pioli/) is surprising news:

The Seattle Seahawks received permission to interview Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli for their position of president of football operations, an NFL source with direct knowledge of the Seahawks' situation confirmed yesterday.

The Seahawks had also asked for permission to speak to Patriots chief operating officer Andy Wasynczuk, but he has decided to leave football for a teaching position at Harvard Business School.

It was not known last night whether Pioli had agreed to speak with the Seahawks. Efforts to reach Pioli were unsuccessful.

Pioli, coach Bill Belichick's right-hand man, has already said he will fulfill his contract with the Patriots, which runs out in late April 2006. Pioli has been on the wish lists of many teams recently, including Miami, Cleveland, San Francisco, and now the Seahawks, who are owned by Microsoft mogul Paul Allen.

I'm surprised the Pats granted permission, given they have denied it in the past. Maybe because Seattle is in the NFC.

From the same article, is sound like the Pats have a shot at keeping Eric Mangini:

Meanwhile, Patriots defensive backs coach Eric Mangini met with Browns coach Romeo Crennel and team officials for five hours yesterday about becoming Cleveland's defensive coordinator, and later took a flight with Crennel back to Boston. Also at Browns headquarters was Maurice Carthon, the former Patriots running backs coach who was the Cowboys' offensive coordinator last season. He is expected to be named the Browns' offensive coordinator.

Mangini was in Miami Thursday to meet with the Dolphins, and both the Browns and Dolphins have made offers of three years at an average of close to $1 million per season. The Patriots were waiting to see how Mangini's visit with the Browns went, but word from Patriots sources is that the team is likely willing to get into a salary range that might appeal to Mangini.

It was also learned that Crennel earned close to $1 million as the Patriots' defensive coordinator this season because with bonuses for the team winning the Super Bowl. Crennel's salary was listed at $625,000, but bonuses made the deal far more lucrative.

Ickybaluky
02-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002178538_hawk12.html) is the story in the Seattle papers:

Sources in Boston have indicated the Seahawks have received permission to speak with Scott Pioli, the New England Patriots' vice president of player personnel, regarding the Seahawks' team-president position...

Seahawks officials could not be reached last night to confirm that Pioli had been approached.

Pioli, under contract through the 2006 draft, said in December he intended to honor his contract with the Patriots...

If the Seahawks are interested in talking to Pioli, it might provide an explanation for the time it has taken for the team to name a president. Pioli was busy with Super Bowl preparations and the Seahawks would have had to wait until the game was over to approach the Patriots.

Ickybaluky
02-12-2005, 07:38 AM
The Miami (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/12/finsnotes0212.html) papers seem to feel the Pats will have one final shot at keeping Mangini:

And while Mangini, 34, may have boarded the same flight as Browns coach Romeo Crennel, not much should be read into it. The former Patriots defensive coordinator, who was named the Browns' coach on Tuesday, was merely returning to collect the rest of his belongings.

The Browns were confident that Mangini would sign a contract at the conclusion of his visit given Mangini's family ties to Cleveland, his close relationship with Crennel, and a contract offer that was nearly as much as the Dolphins, according to league sources.

But Mangini's return home dampened the mood at the Browns' training facility in Berea, Ohio. Mangini appears to be giving the Patriots a one final chance to boost their offer to a level near the generous salaries offered by Cleveland and Miami.

Ickybaluky
02-12-2005, 07:40 AM
While the Cleveland (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/110820426138470.xml) papers say it is all up in the air:

Eric Mangini visited the Browns' facility for about five hours on Friday, but the team declined to say if he agreed to leave the New England Patriots to become Romeo Crennel's defensive coordinator in Cleveland.

On Thursday, General Manager Phil Savage said he hoped to complete a deal with Mangini before the weekend...

Club officials declined to return messages seeking comment on Mangini's visit.

Mangini and Crennel returned to the New England area in the early evening on the same flight from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.

It's possible that Mangini will wait for Patriots coach Bill Belichick to return to New England before announcing his decision. Belichick is playing in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am Golf Tournament in California.

Michael82
02-12-2005, 09:25 AM
They are letting Seattle interview Pioli?!?! Damn that's a shock and would be a big loss for the Patriots. :pray:

:snicker:

Alston11
02-12-2005, 09:28 AM
little by little, new englands coaching staff i being picked apart and leaving. this is great.

JayWood
02-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I dont care how many coaches leave the patriots. The mastermind behind this whole thing is Scott Pioli....he leaves, the team will be no where near as competitive as they have been over the past few years. Its Billy boys scheme but Pioli is the guy who goes out and gets not the best players but the "right" players. I woul dlove to see Pioli leave, and if i were a seahawk fan i would hope that my organization would throw everything at this guy to hekp bring him aboard

Ickybaluky
02-12-2005, 02:22 PM
little by little, new englands coaching staff i being picked apart and leaving. this is great.

There is little doubt that the Pats coaches and front office people are attracting a lot of interest from other teams. However, thus far the only ones who have left are Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel, big losses for sure but expected. Mangini hasn't left yet, neither has Pioli.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Pioli left this year. In fact, I think it more likely he gets a big extenstion and a bigger title (with Andy Wasynchuk leaving the team, there is a VP opening). Mangini I think is a 50/50 shot of staying or going.

However, this is the price of success. What goes up must come down, and it is inevitable the Patriots will suffer losses.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2005, 09:14 AM
UPDATE (for those interested):

Mangini has been named the Pats DC, so he is staying.

The local papers, and Chris Mortensen, are all reporting that Pioli is not leaving.

Jeff Davidson, who after Dante Scarnechia is considered the most likely OC, is interviewing with Cleveland. He is the only Pats coach currently not under contract.

The Pats refused Miami the opportunity to interview LB coach Dean Pees for their vacant DC position earlier this offseason (he is under contract through next year). It is unclear if they will now allow him to interview for the position (he knows Saban well and has coached with him before) now that Mangini has been hired.

The Pats most likely coordinators:

OC - Dante Scarnechia or Jeff Davidson
DC - Eric Mangini

It is possible Davidson leaves if Cleveland offers him the OC position. However, Maurice Carthon was thought to be the favorite for the job.