PDA

View Full Version : Is there any worry if the Patriots pick up one of the elite WRs?

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-14-2005, 08:24 AM
With Troy Brown possibly retiring, Givens a RFA, and Patten and UFA what would happen if the Patriots reloaded with someone like Moss or Burress? Without personal feelings on the player, I think that would be huge for them.

Jan Reimers
02-14-2005, 08:27 AM
The best team in the NFL would simply get better.

ajsdx
02-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah, but I don't think they will. They don't like spending too much money on any one player. They'd much rather have four or five more versatile players, who can play different positions and fill in for injured starters. The power of that machine is the guy running it, not the price or quality of the parts. That's why it's so depressing.

Tatonka
02-14-2005, 08:40 AM
the patriots dont pick up big name players like that..

they have the "strong middle class", as belechick refers to them as.

josh reed seems like someone they would love to have.. and he would of coarse be awesome for them.

OpIv37
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
also the Pats are a team without big egos. A guy like Moss could destroy their locker room chemistry.

Tatonka
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
dillon was supposed to be just like moss.. he turned out to be their mvp.

OpIv37
02-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I just don't see Moss giving up $$ to win a championship like Dillon did. Dillon was acting out in Cincy due to frustration. Moss' only goal in life is to promote Randy Moss- he doesnt' care about winning.

The King
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
The Pats are run first, bringing in a big name WR would be pointless. If they are to lose any WR's I see them bringin Guys like Jurevicious or Kevin Johnson. Not that those guys are FA's but just that type of player.

ajsdx
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Yeah, but they didn't overpay to get him, or keep him. Plus, Dillon whined that all he wanted was a chance to win. Now he has it, so he's shut up. Moss will whine regardless of what's going on. He'll always do things that players like Bruschi and Brady would never do. And he'll likely cost a fortune to get, and his contract numbers are ridic. No way Pioli or Belichick will ever pick him up.

Tatonka
02-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I just don't see Moss giving up $$ to win a championship like Dillon did. Dillon was acting out in Cincy due to frustration. Moss' only goal in life is to promote Randy Moss- he doesnt' care about winning.

i disagree.

Tatonka
02-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah, but they didn't overpay to get him, or keep him. Plus, Dillon whined that all he wanted was a chance to win. Now he has it, so he's shut up. Moss will whine regardless of what's going on. He'll always do things that players like Bruschi and Brady would never do. And he'll likely cost a fortune to get, and his contract numbers are ridic. No way Pioli or Belichick will ever pick him up.

what gives you the impression that moss is not frustrated as hell because the vikings keep losing?

Tatonka
02-14-2005, 08:53 AM
how quickly people forget that it was moss who advised eric moulds to stay in buffalo because there was something to be said by taking the team you started with and winning it all.

if you guys dont think that moss wants to win, your nuts.. he has all the money he will ever need and he is not here for that now.

The King
02-14-2005, 08:57 AM
I would like to see us sign Patten. If he is looking to stay in the NFL he has sure hands and would be an awesome guy to bring into the lineup on occasion. He is also not affraid to take a shot.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Pats would be pretty scary with another offensive threat...does anyone know what their cap situation is?

Bill Brasky
02-14-2005, 10:38 AM
With Troy Brown possibly retiring, Givens a RFA, and Patten and UFA what would happen if the Patriots reloaded with someone like Moss or Burress? Without personal feelings on the player, I think that would be huge for them.

I think they're WR's are very underrated to begin with. I don't think it would make much of a difference for them because they're not the type of team to rely on just one guy and I don't think a guy like Moss would fit in playing for NE.

Kerr
02-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd like to think it doesn't matter. I think the pats got weaker when they lost Crennel and Weiss.

Ickybaluky
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM

I doubt the Pats would spend the money for that. They love Deion Branch, believing he has the ability to be a 100-catch WR. Givens is a good compliment. Brown will likely return, he has already stated he is willing to do what it takes to adjust his contract and stay with the team. Bethel Johnson has struggled with maturity issues, but had has great speed and ability and it is too early to give up on him.

Patten is probably gone. They offered him a contract extension last offseason and he elected to come back for 1 year instead. He would be a terrific #3 WR for some team, a guy that can be a #2 for a lot of teams. Quality lockerroom presence as well.

Also, they have Ben Watson, their #1 pick last year who they really like, coming back from injury. They are likely to run a lot more multiple-TE looks with Graham, Watson and Fauria. Watson is a guy they will move around, lining him up at TE, in the backfield or split wide. The way they spread the ball around, they really aren't as likely to invest a lot in one guy.

The_Philster
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
You should apologize to Dillon for that ridiculous comparison

what gives you the impression that moss is not frustrated as hell because the vikings keep losing?
uhhh...maybe it's the fact he came right out and admitted he takes plays off?

how quickly people forget that it was moss who advised eric moulds to stay in buffalo because there was something to be said by taking the team you started with and winning it all.Was it Moss? I was pretty sure it was Rice or someone else who was in the league longer than Moulds. :scratch:

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I doubt the Pats would make any type of run at Moss. To expensive and he'd be a cancer.

They will probably look at a few WR in FA though.

colin
02-15-2005, 03:29 AM
how quickly people forget that it was moss who advised eric moulds to stay in buffalo because there was something to be said by taking the team you started with and winning it all.

if you guys dont think that moss wants to win, your nuts.. he has all the money he will ever need and he is not here for that now.

it was keyshawn who told eric to stay, after key went to TB and got some heat in the media, before the super bowl win

The_Philster
02-15-2005, 03:03 PM
it was keyshawn who told eric to stay, after key went to TB and got some heat in the media, before the super bowl win

That's right...I knew it couldn't be Moss...how would he know anything about switching teams?
Well, he'll know after this offseason cause they don't wanna deal with his antics in Minnesota anymore :snicker: