PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills can't sign Jennings, how about Brad Hopkins

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Rumor has it the Titans are going to be cutting some major payroll and Hopkins name has come up.

willis_mchenry
02-14-2005, 01:30 PM
How about they sign Casey Rabach and move Teague to LT?

mysticsoto
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
How about they sign Casey Rabach and move Teague to LT?

I rather sign a top elite Center from the draft and move Teague to LT. Both Chris Spencer and Ben Wilkerson probably fit that bill. Afterward, the talent drops and we could wait til the 4th round or something to draft a promising potential like Jason Brown.

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
How about Walter Jones, the best LT in the game !!!

Why is everyone here trying to settle for less then the best. We have the cash, and we have the need. Hopkins is 35 years old !!!!

If we can't sign Jones then we look at the alternatives, but as of now our focus should be on the best LT available

mysticsoto
02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
How about Walter Jones, the best LT in the game !!!

Why is everyone here trying to settle for less then the best. We have the cash, and we have the need. Hopkins is 35 years old !!!!

If we can't sign Jones then we look at the alternatives, but as of now our focus should be on the best LT available

Well, I'm kind of thinking that Shelton from Arz might fit the bill. I guess it depends on how much Jones wants also. Just b'cse we have cash doesn't mean we should spend it uncontrollably. We should still be smart about how we go about acquiring any FAs. That being said, how much is he making now, and how much do you think he might want? I think the Bills should also consider a trade w/TH for an LT that is worth it. With Alexander leaving, would Seattle be interested in TH?

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 03:33 PM
IMO, if Walter Jones does not get franchised TD will jump on him. He will be expensive but worth every penny.

With Moulds's restructure the Bills are approximately 12.5 million under the cap. If TH is traded we'll save 1.25 million, cut Prioleau and we save yet another 1.2. When DB is released we save another 2 million.

We should be 16 million under the cap this year. TH probably won't be traded until closer to the draft. So his coin will likely be money in the bank later on that we can use for emergencies.

So with 16 million we should be able to re-sign Pat Williams which will cost us probably 3 mil a year.

This is my fantasy free agent period and guesstimations on cost.

Pat Williams
16 - 3 = 13

Re-sign Marcus Price which will probably be 1 mil a year
13 - .9 = 12.1

re-sign Neufeld probably 600K
12 - .5 = 11.6

Sign Walter Jones ( maybe a 5 year deal worth 30 mil and a 15 - 20 mil bonus)
11.4 - 5 = 6.4

Sign a top FA Guard or Center
6.4 - 3 = 3.4

Now we trade TH and gain 1.2 million to help pay for draft picks and still have room to pick up a value player or 2.

Our offseason should be very fruitful. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills grab a legitimate #3 WR or a Buubba Franks at TE, but I believe we are solid enough at the TE position

We have no 1st rd pick, so our rookie pool won't be that steep either.

(keep in mind these are my fantasy offseason wishes, and hopes)

ShadowHawk7
02-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Ryan Diem from the Colts would be a good replacement at LT.

jamze132
02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I gotta believe that Seattle will tag Jones. They would be dumb not too. It's hard to just throw a line together and tell them to win. (look no further than Buf.) BUT, if Jones isn't tagged, than TD MUST ante up and sign him. Any idea how that signing would help JP?

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Diem would be a solid pick up, as would a trade for Shelton. I'm not sure what Diem's pros and cons are and how he compares to JJ.

If we don't go after Jones, I would think retaining JJ becomes our priority.

Seattle has tagged JOnes 3 years running, but this year they have a ton of FA's to sign, so who knows what they will decide to do

EDS
02-14-2005, 04:04 PM
I doubt the Bills will go after Jones, he will just cost too much. Even if we can afford him this year his contract would affect resigning down the road - think Clements, McGee, McGahee, etc. You have to think two or three years down the road when making a big free agent signing. Look at what the Patriots have done with Matt Light as their starting left tackle. Light is good, don't get me wrong, but he is not at the level of Jones, Pace, Ogden. That just shows you can win with a solid, if unspectacular player, as long as the unit as a whole is well coached and the schemes are solid.

My guess is the Bills either resign Jennings or someone within his price range. Diem is a good option but I believe he has played on the right side his entire career so there may be some question as to whether he can make the transition to the left side.

Jersey1031
02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
I gotta believe that Seattle will tag Jones.

Seattle is just gona let alexander and hasselbeck walk away??

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I doubt the Bills will go after Jones, he will just cost too much. Even if we can afford him this year his contract would affect resigning down the road - think Clements, McGee, McGahee, etc. You have to think two or three years down the road when making a big free agent signing. Look at what the Patriots have done with Matt Light as their starting left tackle. Light is good, don't get me wrong, but he is not at the level of Jones, Pace, Ogden. That just shows you can win with a solid, if unspectacular player, as long as the unit as a whole is well coached and the schemes are solid.

My guess is the Bills either resign Jennings or someone within his price range. Diem is a good option but I believe he has played on the right side his entire career so there may be some question as to whether he can make the transition to the left side.

I don't think the Bills will have a very big problem with salary cap down the road. Most players are signed and only a few each year pop up as UFA's, and cap will continue to climb just the same. The LT position deserves the cash especially if its a player like Jones who just makes the job look effortless.

There is the chance that a lesser performer can surfice at LT, but I'm tired of sub par OL's. With McNally at the helm and some real talent we can have the kind of OL that breeds confidence into JP, and springs WM for a 1800 yd season. How many times did our RB's run for negative yardage? How many times did DB have barely 4 seconds to throw thew ball. Our OL definitely needs more attention.

jamze132
02-14-2005, 05:35 PM

Well since I live right outside Seattle, I know a little bit more than you might about the stinkin' Seachickens. They are going to resign Hasselbeck and Alexander has said that he wants to return.

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
jamze132, I live north of Seattle in Mt. Vernon.

I remember Alexander being pretty pissed about not getting the rushing title last year, especially by 1 yard. He is going ot get a lot of offers if the Seahwks don't tag him.

alohabillsfan
02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
If memory serves me well, most of our OL problems were right up the gut! Jenningsplayed well enough but he wants to move on, I want a nasty center either FA or draft! Also we need to upgrade LG. Still does not solve LT Teague maybe the coaches know better than us! The best route is to draft the following;

LT RD2
K with the TH pick
Center RD3
LG RD4
WR RD5
QB RD 6
DB RD7

Add those too Mike Williams and we have a youthful line that can last 4 years together with JP, WM, and Evans I like it! Plus it gets our entire Offense young for a while so we can reload the D the next 3 years!

EDS
02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I don't think it a good idea to start three rookies on the 0-line, but you never know.

The_Philster
02-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Seattle has a ton of room under the cap

ddaryl
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Seattle has alot of room under the cap but they also have a lot of RFA's, and UFA's to sign.