• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Matthews

With all this talk as to who may be our back-up this upcoming season why not Matthews again?

Did he only sign a 1 year contract?

He only saw action in two games as a Bill, though he should have been in more IMO. He had a good drive against San Fran (I think) where it was capped with a TD.

I think he is as viable a backup as anyone else in the league.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• Iehoshua
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by northernbillfan
    With all this talk as to who may be our back-up this upcoming season why not Matthews again?

Did he only sign a 1 year contract?

He only saw action in two games as a Bill, though he should have been in more IMO. He had a good drive against San Fran (I think) where it was capped with a TD.

I think he is as viable a backup as anyone else in the league.
    I agree he's a viable backup but have heard rumors he's retiring...

Comment

• Slim
      • Apr 2004

i agree, i think matthews is a good backup

Comment

• generalmills
        • Sep 2003

the question that I have with regards to Mathews is: Can he play the starting role for an extended period of time (3-4 weeks) successfully. AVP was a good backup behind a successful QB, in that he was very good at going out and finishing games or starting single games but struggled once teams had a chance to game plan for his weaknesses. With JP in the pocket I feel that it is in the best interest of the team to go out and get a Vet backup that can start successfully for a long period of time (Kitna etc...). Until JP gets a firm handle on the offense and shows that he has the ability to duck out of bounds and make smart decision there is the possibility of a long term injury.. would you be please with Mathews as the insurance policy?

Comment

• Beastmaster
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Feb 2005

I would take matthews back, but as I stated before, I would take a similar qb to the pope that meshes into the offense. The offense is going to be designed for a mobile qb and garcia fits the bill. It's a plus that he has experience too. I'd go after him before I bring back matthews or any other pocket qb.

Comment

Working...
          X