Let's not make the same mistake the Bears did.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Let's not make the same mistake the Bears did.

The Bears last year decided that they wanted to hand the #1 QB job to their highly touted 1st round draft pick (Grossman). They decided that they wanted no wiff of a QB controversy and signed a career backup to handle the #2 job (Quinn), passing on picking up an experienced backup like Warner, and spent a 6th round draft pick for the #3 QB (Krenzel).

Well, Grossman goes down in game 3. Quinn shows why he has been a career backup, and stinks up the joint. Krenzel plays like a rookie 6th round pick and also gets hurt. They pick up Chad Hutchinson off the street and play him, and even sign Jeff George!

The way JP plays, he is likely to get hurt. If the Bills do dump Drew, they are going to have to spend some money to get an experienced QB who can win some games. In all likelihood, they will have to spend more money than Drew would have cost them. It would be a shame to have a playoff caliber defense, and lose the season to either a rookie or crappy retread backup QB.

I'd rather keep Drew than cut my nose off to spite my face.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Ok try to understand this. Bledsoe is a BACKUP. The problem is REALITY and the legend in his own mind are two different things. The Moron thinks he is a Starter and nothing less. HE has made the decision NOT to be the BACKUP. The role was offered, HE refuesed.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I agree with you. I am pretty sure Damon Huard is under contract still but we need a QB like him. I would Jay Fiedler would be and acceptable backup as would guys like Kordell, McMahon, Flutie, Maddox and Dilfer. Guys I would shy away from are guys like Shawn King, Anthony Wright, Kurt Warner, Garcia, and Testaverde.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
        I agree with you. I am pretty sure Damon Huard is under contract still but we need a QB like him. I would Jay Fiedler would be and acceptable backup as would guys like Kordell, McMahon, Flutie, Maddox and Dilfer. Guys I would shy away from are guys like Shawn King, Anthony Wright, Kurt Warner, Garcia, and Testaverde.
        Damon Huard = Jonathon Quinn. No thanks.

Everyone you name is garbage. If we truly have playoff aspirations, we need a backup who can win. Someone who can win 6 games in a row.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

I dont know who you think we can bring in to play #2. Unless you want to unload heavy cash.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

That's why I want to keep Drew. I don't care that he doesn't want to be a backup. He's under contract.

He's been a class guy since he's been here and I'm sure he'd handle himself in a professional manner.

Comment

• Beastmaster
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

I don't know how anyone can say Garcia is garbage. He's probably the best qb for this offense out there who can win games. Sure he had a bad year with the browns. The browns had no offense partially because their best running back was injured. And their receivers dropped many passes. This is the same garcia who rallied the browns to beat the ravens D and almost beat the eagles. I could care less if he's gay or not. I would feel more at ease knowing he's our backup than a jonathan quinn type qb.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                The Bears last year decided that they wanted to hand the #1 QB job to their highly touted 1st round draft pick (Grossman). They decided that they wanted no wiff of a QB controversy and signed a career backup to handle the #2 job (Quinn), passing on picking up an experienced backup like Warner, and spent a 6th round draft pick for the #3 QB (Krenzel).

Well, Grossman goes down in game 3. Quinn shows why he has been a career backup, and stinks up the joint. Krenzel plays like a rookie 6th round pick and also gets hurt. They pick up Chad Hutchinson off the street and play him, and even sign Jeff George!

The way JP plays, he is likely to get hurt. If the Bills do dump Drew, they are going to have to spend some money to get an experienced QB who can win some games. In all likelihood, they will have to spend more money than Drew would have cost them. It would be a shame to have a playoff caliber defense, and lose the season to either a rookie or crappy retread backup QB.

Wow, I agree w/ EE on something here.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I think McMahon or Garcia would be ideal
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• finsrclowns
                    • Apr 2004

I hear what you're saying, and you have a point, but I have to disagree. IMO Losman is going to be under a great deal of pressure to win, much more than most 1st year starters because he's got a good team around him. Having Bledsoe around will just add to it and probably hurt the kid's confidence if he struggles early, which he probably will, and you have a QB controversy among those that want to win NOW. Starting Losman is the bold move so if you're going to go that way it's because you think DB won't get you to a SB. If that's true then DB or whoever the backup is won't get you there anyway so why worry? If Losman's the guy Losman's the guy. If he gets seriously injured, you're all done, but that's true of the Indy Colts too, right? For the less serious injury it's not worth the potential issues that keeping DB would bring. If he just struggles as rookies often do then TD was wrong, at least as far as not taking a step back next year was concerned, but a risk is a risk. So there you go.

The guy I would target would be Kelly Holcomb, assuming he's a FA.
                    Last edited by finsrclowns; 02-15-2005, 09:49 AM.
                    finsrclowns

Comment

• regor
                      • Jul 2002

That's why I want to keep Drew. I don't care that he doesn't want to be a backup. He's under contract.

He's been a class guy since he's been here and I'm sure he'd handle himself in a professional manner.

We are saving 2 mill by cutting him. We can get someone just as good as him for that price.

If it's true he got very upset with TD than why make him stay here just because he's under contract? Because he's be a class guy is one of the reasons they should give him his wish to look for a starting job elsewhere.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by regor
                        We are saving 2 mill by cutting him. We can get someone just as good as him for that price.
                        Name one $2 mil QB who doesn't stink. You won't get Holcomb or Garcia for $2 mil, and they are both worse than Drew.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Name one $2 mil QB who doesn't stink. You won't get Holcomb or Garcia for $2 mil, and they are both worse than Drew.
                          and Holcombe nor Garcia ever led their team anywhere...like it or not DB has led a team to a SB...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• regor
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                            and Holcombe nor Garcia ever led their team anywhere...like it or not DB has led a team to a SB...

8 years ago. I'd be happy to have that Drew Bledsoe but that Drew is long gone. The question is who is a better QB right now? It's very debatable as to wether Drew is STILL better than Holcombe or Garcia and most of the QB's listed in this thread.

Comment

• regor
                              • Jul 2002

I'd say both those points are debatable. There are going to be more guys on the market that think they are still starters than there are teams looking for a starter.

What do you think Drew will get as a FA?

Comment

Working...
                              X