PDA

View Full Version : Let's not make the same mistake the Bears did.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 06:39 AM
The Bears last year decided that they wanted to hand the #1 QB job to their highly touted 1st round draft pick (Grossman). They decided that they wanted no wiff of a QB controversy and signed a career backup to handle the #2 job (Quinn), passing on picking up an experienced backup like Warner, and spent a 6th round draft pick for the #3 QB (Krenzel).

Well, Grossman goes down in game 3. Quinn shows why he has been a career backup, and stinks up the joint. Krenzel plays like a rookie 6th round pick and also gets hurt. They pick up Chad Hutchinson off the street and play him, and even sign Jeff George!

The way JP plays, he is likely to get hurt. If the Bills do dump Drew, they are going to have to spend some money to get an experienced QB who can win some games. In all likelihood, they will have to spend more money than Drew would have cost them. It would be a shame to have a playoff caliber defense, and lose the season to either a rookie or crappy retread backup QB.

I'd rather keep Drew than cut my nose off to spite my face.

ICE74129
02-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Ok try to understand this. Bledsoe is a BACKUP. The problem is REALITY and the legend in his own mind are two different things. The Moron thinks he is a Starter and nothing less. HE has made the decision NOT to be the BACKUP. The role was offered, HE refuesed.

The King
02-15-2005, 06:49 AM
I agree with you. I am pretty sure Damon Huard is under contract still but we need a QB like him. I would Jay Fiedler would be and acceptable backup as would guys like Kordell, McMahon, Flutie, Maddox and Dilfer. Guys I would shy away from are guys like Shawn King, Anthony Wright, Kurt Warner, Garcia, and Testaverde.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree with you. I am pretty sure Damon Huard is under contract still but we need a QB like him. I would Jay Fiedler would be and acceptable backup as would guys like Kordell, McMahon, Flutie, Maddox and Dilfer. Guys I would shy away from are guys like Shawn King, Anthony Wright, Kurt Warner, Garcia, and Testaverde.
Damon Huard = Jonathon Quinn. No thanks.

Everyone you name is garbage. If we truly have playoff aspirations, we need a backup who can win. Someone who can win 6 games in a row.

The King
02-15-2005, 08:00 AM
I dont know who you think we can bring in to play #2. Unless you want to unload heavy cash.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 08:04 AM
That's why I want to keep Drew. I don't care that he doesn't want to be a backup. He's under contract.

He's been a class guy since he's been here and I'm sure he'd handle himself in a professional manner.

Kerr
02-15-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't know how anyone can say Garcia is garbage. He's probably the best qb for this offense out there who can win games. Sure he had a bad year with the browns. The browns had no offense partially because their best running back was injured. And their receivers dropped many passes. This is the same garcia who rallied the browns to beat the ravens D and almost beat the eagles. I could care less if he's gay or not. I would feel more at ease knowing he's our backup than a jonathan quinn type qb.

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 09:13 AM
The Bears last year decided that they wanted to hand the #1 QB job to their highly touted 1st round draft pick (Grossman). They decided that they wanted no wiff of a QB controversy and signed a career backup to handle the #2 job (Quinn), passing on picking up an experienced backup like Warner, and spent a 6th round draft pick for the #3 QB (Krenzel).

Well, Grossman goes down in game 3. Quinn shows why he has been a career backup, and stinks up the joint. Krenzel plays like a rookie 6th round pick and also gets hurt. They pick up Chad Hutchinson off the street and play him, and even sign Jeff George!

The way JP plays, he is likely to get hurt. If the Bills do dump Drew, they are going to have to spend some money to get an experienced QB who can win some games. In all likelihood, they will have to spend more money than Drew would have cost them. It would be a shame to have a playoff caliber defense, and lose the season to either a rookie or crappy retread backup QB.

Wow, I agree w/ EE on something here. :posrep:

DraftBoy
02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I think McMahon or Garcia would be ideal

finsrclowns
02-15-2005, 09:34 AM

I hear what you're saying, and you have a point, but I have to disagree. IMO Losman is going to be under a great deal of pressure to win, much more than most 1st year starters because he's got a good team around him. Having Bledsoe around will just add to it and probably hurt the kid's confidence if he struggles early, which he probably will, and you have a QB controversy among those that want to win NOW. Starting Losman is the bold move so if you're going to go that way it's because you think DB won't get you to a SB. If that's true then DB or whoever the backup is won't get you there anyway so why worry? If Losman's the guy Losman's the guy. If he gets seriously injured, you're all done, but that's true of the Indy Colts too, right? For the less serious injury it's not worth the potential issues that keeping DB would bring. If he just struggles as rookies often do then TD was wrong, at least as far as not taking a step back next year was concerned, but a risk is a risk. So there you go.

The guy I would target would be Kelly Holcomb, assuming he's a FA.

Novacane
02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
That's why I want to keep Drew. I don't care that he doesn't want to be a backup. He's under contract.

He's been a class guy since he's been here and I'm sure he'd handle himself in a professional manner.

We are saving 2 mill by cutting him. We can get someone just as good as him for that price.

If it's true he got very upset with TD than why make him stay here just because he's under contract? Because he's be a class guy is one of the reasons they should give him his wish to look for a starting job elsewhere.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 11:22 AM
We are saving 2 mill by cutting him. We can get someone just as good as him for that price.

Name one $2 mil QB who doesn't stink. You won't get Holcomb or Garcia for $2 mil, and they are both worse than Drew.

Ebenezer
02-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Name one $2 mil QB who doesn't stink. You won't get Holcomb or Garcia for $2 mil, and they are both worse than Drew.
and Holcombe nor Garcia ever led their team anywhere...like it or not DB has led a team to a SB...

Novacane
02-15-2005, 11:46 AM
and Holcombe nor Garcia ever led their team anywhere...like it or not DB has led a team to a SB...

8 years ago. I'd be happy to have that Drew Bledsoe but that Drew is long gone. The question is who is a better QB right now? It's very debatable as to wether Drew is STILL better than Holcombe or Garcia and most of the QB's listed in this thread.

Novacane
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM

I'd say both those points are debatable. There are going to be more guys on the market that think they are still starters than there are teams looking for a starter.

What do you think Drew will get as a FA?

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd say both those points are debatable. There are going to be more guys on the market that think they are still starters than there are teams looking for a starter.

What do you think Drew will get as a FA?
Question still stands.

McMahon, Garcia, and Holcombe will be more than $2 mil. And they aren't as good as Drew.

Ebenezer
02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Question still stands.

McMahon, Garcia, and Holcombe will be more than $2 mil. And they aren't as good as Drew.
and you are technically paying them the money you save by cutting DB...thus, you weaken a position and save no money...bad move.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Eb and I agree. :clap: :eek:

Novacane
02-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Question still stands.

What question still stands? This one? Name one $2 mil QB who doesn't stink. You won't get Holcomb or Garcia for $2 mil, and they are both worse than Drew.

I gave you an answer. They are not worse than Drew. May not be better but they are not worse. We'll see if they go for more than 2 mill. I doubt it.

finsrclowns
02-15-2005, 12:08 PM
and you are technically paying them the money you save by cutting DB...thus, you weaken a position and save no money...bad move.

In a way it would be funny if he stayed. He'd probably become more popular than he is right now. Remember this rule of thumb about the NFL that goes back to the days of leather helmets- the backup QB is usually the most popular guy on the team, that is until he actually has to play. :funny:

Novacane
02-15-2005, 12:13 PM
In a way it would be funny if he stayed. He'd probably become more popular than he is right now.

That would not be very hard considering how unpopular he is right now. Just having him out of sight would make me like him more

Novacane
02-15-2005, 12:17 PM

The Bills brass either

1. Disagrees that they can not find someone just as good for the money

2. Is willing to pay more than the 2 mill for a quality backup and just let Drew go because they repspect his wish to start

3. They think this will be a growing season with JP and just want to get Drews cap hit off the books this year

4. Something else I have not thought of.

John from Hemet
02-15-2005, 02:32 PM

I think Losman's "head first style" can be corrected....but I agree that we need a competant veteran backup on the team

lordofgun
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Who cares about the Bears?

Negged.

finsrclowns
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Who cares about the Bears?

Negged.

:roflmao:

Michael82
02-16-2005, 09:36 AM

Good post, EE! This worries me too. :nervous:

Bmax
02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Things to remember about JP he threw only 27 int in over 900 pass attempts at tulane a amazingly low number. He played behind a terrible offensive line......Look for the bills to sign a Jeff Blake , Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller. All better than quinn .. All have been successful starters. I think one of these guys will be a bill and we won't spend anything over 2 million a season....

Bmax

Philagape
02-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Just how much money is any team supposed to spend on its backup QB? If a QB can "win six games in a row" and makes more than $2 mil, that sounds like a starter to me! We're talking about these FA veterans as if we're looking for a starter.

I don't see how a position can get much weaker than Drew. Over the past 2 1/2 years, there are very few starting QBs in the league who did worse.

Dozerdog
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM

This is the very exact thing I was / am afraid of.

I was listening to Steve Tasker on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday and he scared the hell out of me. He (jokingly ) said the backup the Bills would bring in would be blind, and the third one would have a peg leg- basically saying the Bills would want a guy who wouldn't even threaten JP for the starting job.

I'm guessing it's pure speculation on Tasker's part- because I think TD isn't that stupid. It would be one thing if we were the 49ers with no playoff aspirations. But this is a playoff- caliber team that needs a top caliber backup.

The guy I think who would make a lot of sense for a 1 year deal, and would be a very good tutor, would be Vinny Testeverde. He's still got an arm, and has playoff experience. If JP went down, he could (and has) won 5-6 in a row vs decent competition in the past few years.

Michael82
02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
This is the very exact thing I was / am afraid of.

I was listening to Steve Tasker on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday and he scared the hell out of me. He (jokingly ) said the backup the Bills would bring in would be blind, and the third one would have a peg leg- basically saying the Bills would want a guy who wouldn't even threaten JP for the starting job.

I'm guessing it's pure speculation on Tasker's part- because I think TD isn't that stupid. It would be one thing if we were the 49ers with no playoff aspirations. But this is a playoff- caliber team that needs a top caliber backup.

The guy I think who would make a lot of sense for a 1 year deal, and would be a very good tutor, would be Vinny Testeverde. He's still got an arm, and has playoff experience. If JP went down, he could (and has) won 5-6 in a row vs decent competition in the past few years.
From Drew Bledsoe to Vinny Testaverde? :eek:

Thanks TD. :sadwalk:

Dozerdog
02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
From Drew Bledsoe to Vinny Testaverde? :eek:

Thanks TD. :sadwalk:
Other than age, I think they are compairable- and Vinny realizes where he is in his career

Michael82
02-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Other than age, I think they are compairable- and Vinny realizes where he is in his career
True. Vinny is better than Matthews too. I think... :ontome:

The Quebecer
02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
What about Tim Couch, if healthy?
TD said he wants someone with experience, starting experience...
Why not?
We have Tom Clements + Sam Wyche, so it might not be a bad idea...

Later,
Pat

Dozerdog
02-16-2005, 02:07 PM
What about Tim Couch, if healthy?
TD said he wants someone with experience, starting experience...
Why not?
We have Tom Clements + Sam Wyche, so it might not be a bad idea...

Later,
PatIf he will play for $2 million and will accept a backup role

Earthquake Enyart
02-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Couch has arm trouble. He can hardly throw a ball.

G. Host
02-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Bills insisted he take a pay cut and that is when he asked to be released. Perhaps he was not willing to postpone the bonus, he still thinks there is a chance of starting or figures any other team's fans will be better than Bills fans.

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:47 AM

you were wrong on Holcomb for $2 mill and you will be wrong on KH being worse than Drew too :peace:

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 08:49 AM
you were wrong on Holcomb for $2 mill and you will be wrong on KH being worse than Drew too :peace:

Holcomb took a paycut to come here. If he wanted- he could have gotten significantly more elsewhere. no one expected that.

Novacane
03-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Holcomb took a paycut to come here. If he wanted- he could have gotten significantly more elsewhere. no one expected that.

Significantly more? Where? Clevelands offer was only 2mill per year! EE was talking like KH would break the bank!

Jan Reimers
03-05-2005, 09:02 AM
As I understand it, the Browns were "dangling" a 4 year, $8 Million contract, but hadn't really finalized it. Holcomb decided not to wait any longer, and took the sure thing.

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Significantly more? Where? Clevelands offer was only 2mill per year! EE was talking like KH would break the bank!

That was Cleveland- Unless I'm way off (lets see what the other guys out there get) some of the more desperate teams at QB (Like Arizona, SF, and others) could have gotten at least $3 million. Unless I am also underestimating his talent level compared to Garcia, Warner, and so on.

Dozerdog
03-05-2005, 09:08 AM
But then again- Bledsoe did sort of set the market at around $2.5 million