PDA

View Full Version : It's NOT all about the money for the Patriots personnel...

Michael82
02-15-2005, 08:36 AM
First, Tedy Bruschi turns down a ton of money to stay with the Pats...

Second, other players turn down more money to stay with the team...

Third, Eric Mangini stays with the Patriots for less money than other teams offered him...

And now.... Scott Pioli is offered $3million a year to join the Seahawks as their President and GM, and he turns it down to stay with the Patriots for $800,000 a year. WTF?!?! :scratch:

The King
02-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Bellicheck has them under a mind controlling spell

OpIv37
02-15-2005, 08:39 AM
All this really means is that the rest of the AFCE screwed. Forget competing for the divsion title or even taking one from the Patriots for the forseeable future.

Michael82
02-15-2005, 08:42 AM
It certainly seems like that. Either that or he's blackmailing them? :lol:

Michael82
02-15-2005, 08:43 AM
All this really means is that the rest of the AFCE screwed. Forget competing for the divsion title or even taking one from the Patriots for the forseeable future.
Basically, until Belichick retires...the other teams in the AFC East better just give up now. :snicker: :mad:

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Or Stewie Griffin.

Michael82
02-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Could there be some under the table stuff like what was going on with the 49ers and even the Broncos at one time? That would be hilarious if they got busted for cheating. :snicker:

OpIv37
02-15-2005, 08:51 AM
why is it that the ONLY place this happens is NE? The rest of the NFL is constantly dealing with garbage like "WAAAH the DE for that team is getting $75 million and I'm only getting 73.5 million- I'm going to hold out- WAAAH!" Meanwhile, NE pays all-pro linebackers less money than they pay the locker room janitor, and their players are STILL happy to take pay cuts to stay there.

I could see players taking $1 million to stay in NE versus $1.2 million to go to some crap team like Arizona or something. But what's so special about NE that makes Scott Pioli stay when Seattle offered him 4 TIMES AS MUCH to do the SAME EXACT JOB?

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2005, 08:54 AM
I thought I heard that the Pats wouldn't let Paoli out of his contract, which has one more year to go.

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Could there be some under the table stuff like what was going on with the 49ers and even the Broncos at one time? That would be hilarious if they got busted for cheating. :snicker:

Wha....? :huh: Explain.

why is it that the ONLY place this happens is NE? The rest of the NFL is constantly dealing with garbage like "WAAAH the DE for that team is getting $75 million and I'm only getting 73.5 million- I'm going to hold out- WAAAH!" Meanwhile, NE pays all-pro linebackers less money than they pay the locker room janitor, and their players are STILL happy to take pay cuts to stay there.

I could see players taking $1 million to stay in NE versus $1.2 million to go to some crap team like Arizona or something. But what's so special about NE that makes Scott Pioli stay when Seattle offered him 4 TIMES AS MUCH to do the SAME EXACT JOB?

Because the other teams suck so bad they figure they might as well just make more money cuz they'll never win, whereas in NE they know they're good and winning must be more important, which is how it should be but isn't these days.

Pride
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Its because they recruit normal average guys... not prima donnas! The average guy knows he can live a happy life at 800K per year to be surrounded by other average guys!

I know I would... I can be just as happy wiht 800K a year as I can with 1.4 million!

OpIv37
02-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Wha....? :huh: Explain.

Because the other teams suck so bad they figure they might as well just make more money cuz they'll never win, whereas in NE they know they're good and winning must be more important, which is how it should be but isn't these days.

but that's not true for every team. Look at the Colts. Manning and Harrison already have about a gazillion dollars from their previous contracts and endorsement deals. But rather than take modest pay so Indy can bring in some defense, they take HUGE contracts that suck all their team's cap room. Again, I could understand the "we're not going to win so I'll take these guys for every penny I can" approach in AZ or New Orleans or some other team that doesn't have a shot. But there are plenty of teams that are good and could be great with one or two additions, yet no one ever steps up and takes a pay cut for the sake of winning. it ONLY happens on the Pats. I'd like to see more of it- these guys have insane amounts of money and I don't understand why they don't give a small portion of it up to win. But it's so frustrating that the Pats have this huge advantage and I want to know why it's only them.

OpIv37
02-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Its because they recruit normal average guys... not prima donnas! The average guy knows he can live a happy life at 800K per year to be surrounded by other average guys!

I know I would... I can be just as happy wiht 800K a year as I can with 1.4 million!

that probably has something to do with it- but some of their players are better than average, which 99% of the time means they also have better than average egos. You'd think with 53 professional athletes, they'd have at least a few egos by random chance. It's hard to put a good team together without a few head cases.

Michael82
02-15-2005, 09:09 AM
I thought I heard that the Pats wouldn't let Paoli out of his contract, which has one more year to go.
They allowed him to interview for the job and would have let him go if he wanted to. It was a promotion...a big promotion. But he turned it down.

Michael82
02-15-2005, 09:09 AM

That's what I want to know. :sadwalk: :mad:

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 09:11 AM

Agreed. I don't even know what these guys intend to do w/ their 40$ million dollars? I can't even figure out what I would need in my lifetime that was justify needing that much cash.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Don't you think it is very possible that Pioli gets other "perks" with NE that he might not get with other clubs? Just guessing...but unlimited access to Kraft's mansion on the lake, or Kraft's Yacht, or whatever....he has less income to report to the IRS and pays for none of the high dollar stuff.....money isn't everything...you have to have fringe benefits too. I am sure winning plays a small part, but GMs have big egos...and after a while they will be looking for a new challenge.

OpIv37
02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Agreed. I don't even know what these guys intend to do w/ their 40$ million dollars? I can't even figure out what I would need in my lifetime that was justify needing that much cash.

Try moving to DC. You'll need the $40 million as the down payment on a 30 year old 2 br condo 35 miles from where you work

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Try moving to DC. You'll need the $40 million as the down payment on a 30 year old 2 br condo 35 miles from where you work

I live on Long Island, it's much wosre, but I hear ya. Housing market = shakedown city.

Bill Brasky
02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I am sure winning plays a small part, but GMs have big egos...and after a while they will be looking for a new challenge.

Come on dude, winning plays a small part? Yeah, a lot of guys out there are in it for the wrong reasons, but there are just the same amount of guys that want to win. And don't you think trying to figure out new ways to win and stay on top every year when everyone is gunning for you is a challenge in itself?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Come on dude, winning plays a small part? Yeah, a lot of guys out there are in it for the wrong reasons, but there are just the same amount of guys that want to win. And don't you think trying to figure out new ways to win and stay on top every year when everyone is gunning for you is a challenge in itself?

For me, sure winning would play a huge part. To a point....but at some point you would start to hunger for a new challenge...and extra cash to boot might make it any easy decision if it weren't for the sweet setup you have already. But for someone who has won three SB's out of the past four....and done it with alot of adversity...I don't see them resisting the urge to try to do it again and not only be considered good, but become legendary. You don't become legendary doing the same thing over and over with the same circumstances. You do it by taking your show on the road and proving to the world that it is your expertise that makes the difference, not the system.

finsrclowns
02-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Pioli knows he's going to get paid. Knows he'll have no shortage of suitors after his contract is up next year. He knows he has a good gig in NE and he feels an obligation to finish the deal he signed, which is unusal in today's world but a credit to him. He can't hate winning SB's either.

Meathead
02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Don't you think it is very possible that Pioli gets other "perks" with NE that he might not get with other clubs? Just guessing...but unlimited access to Kraft's mansion on the lake, or Kraft's Yacht, or whatever....he has less income to report to the IRS and pays for none of the high dollar stuff......
Yeah that's worth 2.2 mil.

Michael82
02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah that's worth 2.2 mil.
:hi5: