Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Flutie to start Chargers' exhibition opener

Flutie to start Chargers' exhibition opener
    By BERNIE WILSON
    AP Sports Writer
    August 1, 2002

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- For what it's worth, Doug Flutie will start the San Diego Chargers' exhibition opener. ADVERTISEMENT

With the game more than a week away, at home against Arizona on Aug. 10, Flutie wasn't reading much into coach Marty Schottenheimer's decision Thursday.

``Somebody has to go first, and we'll just go from there,'' said Flutie, the incumbent who's battling second-year pro Drew Brees for the starting job. ``All I'm trying to do is play my best.

``Just like the first day of practice, somebody had to go take the first snap,'' Flutie said. ``Somebody gets to jump in and take the first throw. Out of respect, it's usually decided by Drew and I, and Drew says, `Go ahead.'''

Schottenheimer said Flutie will start the exhibition opener because he was the starter last year, his first with the Chargers. Flutie will probably play the first quarter, followed by Brees, who is then expected to start against Seattle at home on Aug. 16.

Brees said it didn't matter to him who starts the exhibition opener.

Schottenheimer wants to pick the starter for the regular season before the exhibition finale Aug. 28 at San Francisco. The competition was dead-even going into camp, and still is.

``Ultimately, I think the competition will be so close that it's just going to be hard maybe to quantify the distinction between one or the other so we'll just make a choice,'' Schottenheimer said.

Flutie, who turns 40 on Oct. 23, started all 16 games last year, when the Chargers opened 5-2, then lost their last nine to miss the playoffs for the sixth straight year. Brees, the former Purdue star, played just more than one half of one game after Flutie was knocked out with a concussion.

Brees helped erase a 19-0 deficit against Kansas City in a game the Chargers ended up losing 25-20. He was 15-of-27 for 221 yards and one TD, with no interceptions.

Flutie set a career high with 3,464 yards. He threw 15 touchdown passes but was intercepted 18 times.
  • Jaded 7
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
    • Jul 2002

Well, I'm glad he'll be starting the exhibition game. I just hope that he'll be able to play in a few games this year, one being the game against the Bills in December. I think this will be his last year playing, although I'm sure the Chargers will keep him as a back-up for at least one more year, and I really want to see him play a few more games.

My Dad is in the process of picking our next stadium and it's either going to be to see the Bills or to see the Chargers. I'd rather see the Chargers since I know Doug's time is ending.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• bduff54
      • Jul 2002

i still like watching him play. there is somethign to be said about a guy relatively the isze of most of us out there playing with 300 pound monsters

Comment

• Jaded 7
        Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
        • Jul 2002

I like watching him play too, Bduff. :) I just hope that he's able to play a few games this year so I can watch him play. I have so few pleasures in life and watching Doug is definitely one of them. :)

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
        Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
        The only answer I found for all this hurt
        Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

They don't want Brees to get hurt in preseason.

Comment

• Pride
            • Jul 2002

LOL!!!

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
              • Jul 2002

He will do the same thing he does every year...play awesome for like the first 5 games, win the starting job, then begin to fade and the team will be stuck with a QB controversy. But...if Brees wins the job, and gets hurt, you know Doug will play phenonimal and not give the job back. IMO, Flutie can't play a full season at a high level, but short term can be very effective.
              Its all about the quest.

Comment

• bduff54
                • Jul 2002

yeah, i don't there is a better back-up in the league. if is could pick one back-up to have it would be flutie. he always gives you a chance to win the game. And his experience speaks for itself

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                  • Jul 2002

But his experience doesn't have to speek for itself, Doug does quite enought talking as it is...
                  Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Dman
                    Wagon Master
                    • Jul 2002

Let's not forget..he's still on that streak...
                    0-9....

Love to pick on Jaded...
                    "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???"

Comment

Working...
                    X