why is everyone so happy about Drew leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

why is everyone so happy about Drew leaving?

The minute I heard the news, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Don't get me wrong- Drew wasn't winning and a change needed to be made. But our price for developing Losman is the '05 season. I know his development has to happen sooner or later- I was just hoping the coaches could figure out a way to do it without jeopardizing our playoff chances. Losman WILL struggle- he has potential, but let's face reality. He will suck his first few games, and we're going to dig ourselves into a hole and have a repeat of last season: a terrible start followed by a winning streak that's too little, too late. After missing the playoffs by one game last year, I was hoping for a good run this year, but it's just not going to happen with an inexperienced QB.

I guess it's better to get this development thing out of the way now, while we have no chance of competing with NE for the division title anyway. But I've never been less eager for the start of football season than I am right now. '05 is done.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • BuffaloJayhawk
    • Aug 2004

I wouldn't dismiss the season so fast, we haven't seen what TD is going to do. Talk to me in August. It's really early, plus, JP could come out and amaze us.
    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

he could, but I doubt it. Again, not saying the guy's not talented or won't be a good QB-it's just that 99 times out of 100, these things take time to develop.

And beating long odds isn't exactly the hallmark of Buffalo sports.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Change will struggle to might struggle. However, sooner or later Bledsoe WILL struggle wherever he ends up. Nobody can say with any certainty what JP will do, we'll just have to wait & see.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
          NJ In The House
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          The minute I heard the news, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Don't get me wrong- Drew wasn't winning and a change needed to be made. But our price for developing Losman is the '05 season. I know his development has to happen sooner or later- I was just hoping the coaches could figure out a way to do it without jeopardizing our playoff chances. Losman WILL struggle- he has potential, but let's face reality. He will suck his first few games, and we're going to dig ourselves into a hole and have a repeat of last season: a terrible start followed by a winning streak that's too little, too late. After missing the playoffs by one game last year, I was hoping for a good run this year, but it's just not going to happen with an inexperienced QB.

I guess it's better to get this development thing out of the way now, while we have no chance of competing with NE for the division title anyway. But I've never been less eager for the start of football season than I am right now. '05 is done.
          I thought the same thing, why not start Bledsoe and work Losman in, but ESPN is saying Bledsoe was asked to take a cut and refused. So I guess the Bills had no choice. But playing Losman in our division that has some tough Defenses (Don't know what Fins will look like) has to have you a little nervous. You will have to get a good veteran back-up, and there are not a lot out there, they have all been mentioned on Finheaven, and none really shock my world.

The one I like is Kelly Holcomb! Young, has played and started and done well with a bad team in the Browns.

Time To Ski!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
            • Jul 2002

he could, but I doubt it. Again, not saying the guy's not talented or won't be a good QB-it's just that 99 times out of 100, these things take time to develop.

And beating long odds isn't exactly the hallmark of Buffalo sports.
            The odds you quote simply aren't true. If you feel like it, go back and check the results of a QB who hasn't started any games before and you'll find the failure/success rate isn't close to 99-1. It's probably closer to 50/50 or at worst 60/40. Both Brady & Warner won Super Bowls without ever getting much NFL action before their winning seasons.

Comment

• TedMock
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloJayhawk
              I wouldn't dismiss the season so fast, we haven't seen what TD is going to do. Talk to me in August. It's really early, plus, JP could come out and amaze us.
              Exactly. I'm looking forward to seeing how this kid does. Quite honestly, he doesn't even have to be statistically as good as Bledsoe to win. On paper, last season Bledsoe threw for 2900 yards, 20 TD's, and 16 INT's. Those aren't bad numbers by anyone's measure. They're not great, but they're not bad. Where Drew really hurt us was with the inopportune sacks. He was sacked less than Michael Vick, but his timing was so bad on every one of them. 3rd and 3, he's holding the ball and looking to make a throw.....sack. Losman, while not Steve Young, will run for 4 yards on that play. At least sometimes. It's that little intangible that doesn't show up on the stat line that could make all the difference. If he (JP) could throw for 2500-2800 yards, 18 TD's and 15-16 INT's, but create a few first downs with his feet, we'll be fine. That will keep the defense rested that much more, and our defense and special teams are good enough to win us some games while JP developes. He doesn't need to put up impressive numbers, just get smarter as the year goes on, and tuck the ball down now and then.

Comment

• regor
                • Jul 2002

I'm just the opposite. I have'nt been this eager for FB season since the first year we got Drew. Speaking for myself I'm just happy because I want to have hope. We knew what we had in Drew. He was not going to get better. With JP there is the hope he will get better as he plays and learns. I also disagree with you that this year is shot. Our chances at the SB prolly are but the likely were with Drew too. I truely believe we can with 9-10 games again.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I personally think Losman will do well the first half of the season, and then when teams get some film on him and learn his tendencies, weaknesses, etc, he'll struggle a bit.
                  I think with our D and Special Teams, and Willis running the ball, it shouldn't matter much who our QB is, as long as he doesn't throw an INT for a TD every game out.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
                    NJ In The House
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                    I personally think Losman will do well the first half of the season, and then when teams get some film on him and learn his tendencies, weaknesses, etc, he'll struggle a bit.
                    I think with our D and Special Teams, and Willis running the ball, it shouldn't matter much who our QB is, as long as he doesn't throw an INT for a TD every game out.
                    INT for a TD every game, that sound very familar??

Time To Ski!

Comment

• Discotrish
                      Raging hypocrite and resident troll
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                      I think the Bills are going to bring a veteran in anyway.

Patti

Athletes or AndROIDS?
                      Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• BidsJr
                        • Sep 2002

Why am I optimistic? I'll tell ya.

I have been re-watching all of the "WINS" from this season over the last 2 months, and they make me sick! Drew Bledsoe has to be the dumbest QB that I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, he is a great person, great man and I am sure he is a great father. But like I tell my wife, he is in the wrong profession.

Drews shortcomings.

-Cannot throw the short pass with any touch or accuracy. This completly takes away all screen passes and dump off passes that his lack of mobility requires to be successful.
                        *Losman will be an immediate upgrade in the short passing game. All that we saw of him in the preseason and the few cameos showed that he worked the underneath stuff very well with touch.

-Cannot throw intermediate passes with recievers moving with any consistancy. As we all saw later in the season Moulds and Evans were running curl routes, or stop routes to give Bledsoe a stationary targer to throw to. Bledsoe doesn't seem to like moving targets.
                        *Remains to be seen how Losman hits moving targets. Worst case senario, we do what we have been doing. Throwing to stationary targets.

-Deep Ball, Drews biggest advantage. Still only hit a few of them.
                        *If Losman proves to be a chain mover, with good touch/accuracy on short and intermediate routes I would be happy with no more home runs. We'll have to wait and see how Losman throws the deep ball.

-Pocket presence. *Insert your own personal flame here* (Mine.... Throw the ***** ball you POS)
                        *Advantage Losman. Need I say more.

-Game and clock management. Bledsoe is horrible with this. Every game that I have watched this guy burns timeout after timeout. You can just see Mularkey steaming on the sidelines. Read his lips "Why ya call another timeout Drew?"................. The stupid delay of game penalties. Drew did seem to thrive in the no huddle when we chose to use it. That was a plus.
                        *Losman hopefully willl be an upgrade in clock/timeout management. The hurry up is a big question mark right now IMHO.

Now understand these are some random thoughts after watching our WINS. I erased all of our losses so they are long gone.

I am optomistic we will not see ANY significant drop of play at the QB position next year. We have a great coaching staff, and great skill players. I think we WILL step forward next year riding Willis and the D. Just like we did this year.
                        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

If JP gets hurt, we are so screwed.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                            If JP gets hurt, we are so screwed.
                            That's what I'm worried about.

Comment

• Big M
                              • Jan 2004

The off-season is just beginning. Making assumptions now is quite foolish. The Bills will have 20 + new faces between March 2nd and training camp.

The nature of the internet is to show zero patience and draw dumb,premature conclusions. TD is always a major player in Free Agency and will make numerous aquisitions. Give it time.

Comment

Working...
                              X