PDA

View Full Version : Will 2005 be a bridge season under JP?

Meathead
02-16-2005, 10:16 AM
It is arguable that the 2005 Bills have as much talent as any Bills team in history. And with a full year with a new coaching staff it appears the team is well positioned for a deep playoff run right now.

The Bills have decided it’s time to start the Losman era. What impact will this decision on the 2005 season?

And please, no wagering.

OpIv37
02-16-2005, 10:24 AM
I think it dooms us to tying last year's 9-7 or worse. JP's development has to happen sooner or later, but to think we're going to win while it happens is just being hopelessly optimistic.

Come to think of it, the winning streak at the end of last year screwed us- JP didn't get to play because it looked like we could make the playoffs. So instead of getting experience at the end of a meaningless season, he'll have to get it when the games still count at the start of this season. (I even predicted this would happen- damn I'm good http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=60560).

njodogg
02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
The Bills are returning 21 of there 22 starters( Assuming we can resign Williams which we should be able to because of more cap room Thanks Moulds) The 2005 season should be a gimmie for at least the playoffs our avg opponents win pct was 500. I mena come on next year should be great

Dozerdog
02-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Nothing is a gimmie when you have the Pats, Colts, Broncos, Steelers, Chiefs, Jets, Chargers, Ravens, a resurgent Jaguars team, and the Titans in your conference.

While many of the above teams are flawed, they are all better (when healthy) than half the teams that made the NFC playoffs.

Michael82
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Just think...IF Troy Vincent never hurt JP Losman in training camp, then we would have probably started Losman in mid season last year and would have an idea of how he is.

:sadwalk: :mad:

pyrrhonist
02-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Just think...IF Troy Vincent never hurt JP Losman in training camp, then we would have probably started Losman in mid season last year and would have an idea of how he is.

As harsh as you put it, it's true. I don't feel that there is any way Buffalo can finish with the same record as they did this season. I think we may see a (7-9) record, at best, next season. I hope I'm wrong, though. :nervous:

dannyek71
02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
i see 7-9 as well

Michael82
02-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I see 8-8, mainly because of no change in our defense...as long at Big Pat stays.

Meathead
02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm going to guess 10-6 based on the overall strength of the rest of the team. That should get them into the playoffs where they stand little chance to win more than one game, probably not even that, as DC's have a full season of tape to exploit his unavoidable "rookie" weaknesses.

Not bad if your goal was just to have a winning season and make the playoffs. But with the rest of the team probably the best the Bills have ever had that's a terrible disappointment.

Yeah, The Choke was horrible. And Drew was bad that day. And he's been a disappointment the last two years for sure. And I'm ready to see him go. But no matter what he would have given us a better chance to get to the Show in 2005.

hemi13
02-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I'll say 6-10, my reason is JP is really a rookie right now because of the injury and the playoff run we made where he didn't get to play. This coming season will be a learning year for Losman. I do hope that I'm wrong. The Drew haters must be smiling right now, but the way I look at it is we were one game from the playoffs and now we're taking backward steps for the future. I want to win now, who knows, I might not wake up tomorrow. I guess I don't see the release of Drew as a good football move. May the football Gods watch over us this coming season.

Mr. Cynical
02-16-2005, 05:11 PM
If Dresdoe managed a 9-7 season while he was ranked #26, there is no reason to believe JP can't do at least as well. It was the D and the ST that got us within a game of the playoffs and that's not changing. In fact, it could be argued that McGahee will be even better next year and at 100%, so that will only help JP even more. Lastly this will be MM/TC's second year, so that will also be in his favor.

The_Philster
02-16-2005, 06:37 PM
It's too soon to say for sure...I'm thinking anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 right now...dependent on, among other things, how well JP is utilized in the offense

ScottLawrence
02-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Anywhere from 6-10 to 12-4 depending on Losman's play.

12-4 if Losman comes out looking like Ben Roethlisberger.

6-10 if Losman comes out looking like Ryan Leaf.

jamze132
02-16-2005, 07:03 PM
I think that this is for the best, no matter how the season plays out. If Drew started for us next year, we would probably go through the same crap we went through the past 2 years. Also JP would lose significant practice time with the first team offense. And who knows who will leave in FA after the 05' season. I think it's best to get him out there with the surounding cast that he has right now. He is really lucky that there will be so much talent on both sides of the ball supporting him. I don't think he will play as bad as some expect. Of course no one wants him to play bad, but I think he will surprise some people. Remember, he doesn't have to be perfect to win 9-10 games. Drew won 9 and played pretty crappy most of the season. I predicit 10 wins and a playoff berth. Might not win a playoff game, but at least it would feel great to just get back there.

Meathead
02-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Man if the Bills go 6-10 I'm going to fling myself out a basement window somewhere.