PDA

View Full Version : Another LT goes off the market...

Michael82
02-16-2005, 11:08 AM
The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.
Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3400460

Michael82
02-16-2005, 11:11 AM
This is both good news and bad news....

The good news is that they have a Franchise tag now and might choose to use it on Shaun Alexander, which raises Travis Henry's trade value.

The bad news is that the Bills will have no chance in hell of re-signing Jonas Jennings if they allow him to become a FA.

Dozerdog
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
What would lead you to that crazy conclusion, Mike?

Jennings isn't close to Walter Jones in acconmplishments or ability.

Michael82
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
What would lead you to that crazy conclusion, Mike?

Jennings isn't close to Walter Jones in acconmplishments or ability.
But if you look at the FA market. Pace is tagged, Jones is re-signed.... Jonas Jennings is the best of the rest at LT.

djjimkelly
02-16-2005, 11:28 AM
i think if those are the numbers we can resign jonas for 5 years with about a 7 -8 mil bonus avg 2 mil a year in salary so lets say a low of 2.5 mil as cap number to start building to about 6 mil cap # in year 5

Novacane
02-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Jennings is gonna cost avg of 5 mill a year w/ 8-10 million dollar bonus imo

DraftBoy
02-16-2005, 11:37 AM
TAG ALEXANDER!!

Kerr
02-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Maybe Jonas was going to leave since the consensus was that Drew was going to lead this team next season, but with a new qb, he might stay afterall.

ryjam282
02-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I still think he will test the market, who knows, we may tag him but I hope not. There will be some comparable Tackles out there. At least ones that can play a full 16 games season.

R. Rich
02-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Tra Thomas

Michael82
02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Tra Thomas
I'd take him. :up: