PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy...

Mudflap1
02-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I've got that "Todd Collins" kinda feeling all over again...

I sure wish we'd bring in some REAL competition and not hand this guy the keys to the Ferrari. What has he done to earn it so soon?

Jon

Michael82
02-16-2005, 01:31 PM

I sure wish we'd bring in some REAL competition and not hand this guy the keys to the Ferrari. What has he done to earn it so soon?

Jon
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. Not about Todd Collins, but about just handing him the keys WITHOUT any kind of competition whatsoever.

Mudflap1
02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey, I'm the first guy that hopes he turns out great. It's not smart business to just go with an inexperienced guy who looked AWFUL last year (with little training, I know that, and bad situations...) and not bring in a guy that has had a lot of experience and success in this league. It could totally kill team morale and MM and TD could have a mutiny on their hands if things go sour...\

This is not Detroit three years ago or even the Bills three or four years ago. This team is on the brink of playoff/division contention, and one bad move could totally shoot themselves in the foot.

Jon

OpIv37
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey, I'm the first guy that hopes he turns out great. It's not smart business to just go with an inexperienced guy who looked AWFUL last year (with little training, I know that, and bad situations...) and not bring in a guy that has had a lot of experience and success in this league. It could totally kill team morale and MM and TD could have a mutiny on their hands if things go sour...\

This is not Detroit three years ago or even the Bills three or four years ago. This team is on the brink of playoff/division contention, and one bad move could totally shoot themselves in the foot.

Jon

exactly what I've been trying to say. But every time I bring it up, everyone just goes off about how I'm being negative and how Bledsoe needed to go, etc. It's not about Bledsoe-it's about our chances for next year. They bet the farm on Losman.

The only encouraging sign I've seen so far is this: Everyone *****ed when TD drafted McGahee, but he turned out to be right. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Losman- the coaches/management saw something in him that fans, with limited football knowledge and opportunities to observe, don't see.
But I still hate the idea of staking our future on a completely unproven player- Rob Johnson still gives me nightmares.

Pride
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
There is something to be said about handing the keys over to a "green" QB this early.

1. It instills confidence
2. He will be able to build a solid rapore (sp?) with his teamates
3. He wont be looking over his shoulder all training camp
4. He wont feel like he will be yanked in his first 3 games if he plays poorly (which i fully expect)
5. It avoids a fanbase controversy like we have had since Kelly
6. Multiple rookie QB's have done quite well as of late when handed the keys
------Kelly Holcomb
------Big Ben
------Manning
------Manning
------Brady
------Culpepper
------McNabb
------Delhome

I do not have a problem with this move. Some QBs... especially confident ones need to be given the keys... shown to the garage.. and told to bring it back fully gassed up and in 1 piece.

And the key is... don't yank him out of a game. He should not be yanked until at least week 8. Pull a young QB, and chances are, you ruin him forever.

GO JP! Keep Matthews as a backup... and roll with it!

dannyek71
02-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Pride:

Just FYI Delhome was not a rookie....I remember him playing in NO, he had alot of potential there....But I guess they liked Kerry Collins and Billy Joe Tolliver there better....

But you make a good point

carybillsfan
02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Both Manning's? they started off a combined 4-20, granted Peyton has turned out okay but unless the giants go after a big play receiver Eli will suffer again. J.P. has a much better offense and defense around him it'll maake his job a lot easier.

audio/s
02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
JP should be okay as far as playing ABILITY but his pressure situations should pose more of a problem or his ability to get injured

Voltron
02-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I think many people that are worried about JP starting are forgetting that he has already started working with Sam Wyche. I think people are overlooking Sam's impact as a coach.

Pride
02-16-2005, 03:21 PM
He also got something that every rookie QB should get! 1 year on the bench!

Personally... in a warped way... I am glad he was injured. Had he been healthy in week 4... he probably would have started over bledsoe... and potentially ruining his confidence. I look at it as... we threw DB to the lions this year... and let JP watch and learn.

Tatonka
02-16-2005, 03:27 PM
There is something to be said about handing the keys over to a "green" QB this early.

4. He wont feel like he will be yanked in his first 3 games if he plays poorly (which i fully expect)
------Kelly Holcomb
------Big Ben
------Manning
------Manning
------Brady
------Culpepper
------McNabb
------Delhome

I do not have a problem with this move. Some QBs... especially confident ones need to be given the keys... shown to the garage.. and told to bring it back fully gassed up and in 1 piece.

And the key is... don't yank him out of a game. He should not be yanked until at least week 8. Pull a young QB, and chances are, you ruin him forever.

GO JP! Keep Matthews as a backup... and roll with it!

ding ding ding ding.. we have a winner.

THATHURMANATOR
02-16-2005, 03:35 PM
As long as we have a strong running game and Defense I think JP can be effective.

Mudflap1
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey, I'm all for giving the kid a shot. I'm just saying we need some insurance just in case...

1) He blows beyond belief and team morale goes way down (this is to say he'll struggle quite a bit I'm sure, but I'm saying if he's Ryan Leaf bad, where it's like a complete joke, and the rest of the team is playing well, you get another guy in there to play)

2) He has some competition, that's just makes good human nature and sports nature sense

3) Someone to go to if he gets injured that can still win games

Jon

Voltron
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I am crossing my fingers while typing this but I just don't think he could play any worse than Drew did :idunno:

Voltron
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey, I'm all for giving the kid a shot. I'm just saying we need some insurance just in case...

1) He blows beyond belief and team morale goes way down (this is to say he'll struggle quite a bit I'm sure, but I'm saying if he's Ryan Leaf bad, where it's like a complete joke, and the rest of the team is playing well, you get another guy in there to play)

2) He has some competition, that's just makes good human nature and sports nature sense

3) Someone to go to if he gets injured that can still win games

Jon
FA hasn't even started yet! Who knows who we will end up with at many of the positions let alone back up QB :rolleyes:

hemi13
02-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I have to see JP win with my own eyes before I hand over the keys. I just don't have a very good feeling about this coming season. You don't change QB's when your one win away from the playoffs and hand the reigns over to a rookie. Yes I said rookie. Don't get me wrong, I like JP, but is he ready? I guess we'll find out this fall.

cordog
02-16-2005, 04:17 PM

Jon

How can you say he looked AWFUL? He didnt even play a full quarter. Im guessing your talking about the handful of plays in NE. He also looked pretty good against Cleveland and San Fran.

Meathead
02-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Oh he looked awful all right. But that doesn't mean beans. The earliest we'll have any type of reliable picture is after four games or so. Even four games could be very misleading.

Yeah we'll have a blast talking about it for months but we all know it could be either Culpepper/Brady or Leaf/Marangi.

Mudflap1
02-16-2005, 04:38 PM
FA hasn't even started yet! Who knows who we will end up with at many of the positions let alone back up QB :rolleyes:
It wasn't a good indication that we'll have a real legit veteran QB in there if TD is saying Matthews is the kinda guy he'd like to have around as the #2. yes, FA has not started, but unless he does a 180, we're not going to see a competent guy in here who can win games if he has to behind Losman.

How can you say he looked AWFUL? He didnt even play a full quarter. Im guessing your talking about the handful of plays in NE. He also looked pretty good against Cleveland and San Fran.
I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer. 39.2 quarterback rating (YES -- in VERY limited time, but still time nonetheless) is not very impressive where I come from.

Oh he looked awful all right. But that doesn't mean beans. The earliest we'll have any type of reliable picture is after four games or so. Even four games could be very misleading.

Yeah we'll have a blast talking about it for months but we all know it could be either Culpepper/Brady or Leaf/Marangi.This is more along the lines of what I'm saying too.

Again, I'm rootin' for the kid, I hope he's the real deal. The organization is putting all of their eggs in his basket, and if he doesn't pull through, we're totally screwed.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
02-16-2005, 05:06 PM

------Kelly Holcomb
------Big Ben
------Manning
------Manning
------Brady
------Culpepper
------McNabb
------Delhome

And the key is... don't yank him out of a game. He should not be yanked until at least week 8. Pull a young QB, and chances are, you ruin him forever.:10:

Exactly what I was going to say.

Mr. Cynical
02-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Again, I'm rootin' for the kid, I hope he's the real deal. The organization is putting all of their eggs in his basket, and if he doesn't pull through, we're totally screwed.

Jon
They already put all their eggs in there when they traded up to get him. Time to see if the gamble was worth it.

The Natrix
02-16-2005, 05:11 PM

Jon

I just don't see any real competition out there. Garcia is the best out of the bunch, but he's not going to want to come here. The choices were Bledsoe and Losman. Deal with it!

Novacane
02-16-2005, 05:12 PM
It's just the way business works in the NFL. When you invest a #1 pick on a guy you do it for one reason.....to play him.

Mudflap1
02-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Look, I'm not arguing with the INTENT of the organization to play Losman, I'm just saying I don't agree with the way they are going about it, by just clearing the path for this guy, telling him he's the starter in February, and not appearing to be in any hurry to bring in any competition to get his blood flowing.

This is where I think some of you guys are off. I AGREE, he's a first round pick, let's play him, let's see what he's about, but let's NOT give him ZERO competition and just TELL him he is the starter persona non grata.

Jon

Meathead
02-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Look, I'm not arguing with the INTENT of the organization to play Losman, I'm just saying I don't agree with the way they are going about it, by just clearing the path for this guy, telling him he's the starter in February, and not appearing to be in any hurry to bring in any competition to get his blood flowing.

I AGREE, he's a first round pick, let's play him, let's see what he's about, but let's NOT give him ZERO competition and just TELL him he is the starter persona non grata.

It's a very valid point. I wonder if they had much of a choice. Given Bledsoe's belief that this was "his team" he probably would not have tolerated an open competition.

The other option is to bring someone else in to compete for the starting job, which might still happen, but it doesn't look like they are going to invest more money in the QB spot (on top of Bledsoe's 4.2 mil dead money) for starter caliber guy who would probably end up holding a clipboard anyway. So instead they get someone they know is likely to only be a backup.

Risky strategy, for sure. It makes me nervous, too. Makes you wonder if TD and company are just pulling out all the stops because they feel Ralph's hot breath on the back of their necks. I'd like to think they just have a nose for the rare gem kid QB that can handle the job right from the start, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Philagape
02-17-2005, 04:28 PM

This is where I think some of you guys are off. I AGREE, he's a first round pick, let's play him, let's see what he's about, but let's NOT give him ZERO competition and just TELL him he is the starter persona non grata.

Jon

You don't think his blood will be flowing??

Mudflap1
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I just want to get the most out of him that we can get so we don't have a 16th bust in a row at QB.

Jon

jamze132
02-17-2005, 04:46 PM
The worst thing that could happen if JP stays healhy the entire season is he plays at Drew's level. So we go 9-7 again. I still say it's a positive move forward. I'd rather go 9-7 with a newbie with tremendous upside than with an aging veteran. And that's PROBABLY the worse thing that happens. I really think TD and co. made a calculated risk and we should trust them. You have to use the risk/reward scale. (no, there's not really a scale) What are the risks of starting JP or Drew? What are the rewards of starting JP or Drew?

jamze132
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
JP Risks:

-He has too much on his shoulders carrying a team in his first year starting.

-If he stumbles, the team may not rally around the new guy.

-If the above happens, it may damage his mind.

(feel free to add anything, as I am doing this during work)

jamze132
02-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Drew Risks:

-JP sits another year.

-The Bills miss the playoffs...again.

-Our veterans get older while JP gets no experience with these guys.

-etc....

jamze132
02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
JP Rewards:

- He gains valuable experience as a young QB.

- We don't have Drew anymore...

- He can move around the pocket and exit which should create more opportunities to score on offense.

- Will make a mediocre line look great.

-boss is coming...

jamze132
02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Drew Rewards:

- Would have an experienced QB at the helm.

- ????