Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Kelly's coming to the Hall, and with some guest list

Kelly's coming to the Hall, and with some guest list
    By TOM WITHERS
    AP Sports Writer
    August 2, 2002

CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- The Pro Football Hall of Fame decided a few months ago to move this year's induction ceremony from the steps out front to the stadium next door. ADVERTISEMENT

Select Make and Model
    - Make -AcuraAston MartinAudiBentleyBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChevrolet TruckChryslerDaewooDodgeDodge TruckFerrariFordFord TruckGMCGMC TruckHondaHUMMERHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJeepKiaLamborghiniLand RoverLexusLincolnLotusMaseratiMazdaMazda TruckMercedes-BenzMercuryMINIMitsubishiNissanNissan TruckOldsmobilePontiacPorscheRolls-RoyceSaabSaturnSubaruSuzukiToyotaToyota TruckVolkswagenVolvo
    - Model -- Select a Make -
    Zip:

Perfect timing: Jim Kelly's coming -- with 1,200 guests.

``At least,'' Hall spokesman Joe Horrigan said.

For the first time since 1965, the induction won't take place on top of the steps in front of 2121 George Halas Drive.

Instead, the ceremony on Saturday will be across the street in 20,000-seat Fawcett Stadium to accommodate the crowds overrunning the grounds in recent years.

This year's class -- Kelly, George Allen, John Stallworth, Dave Casper and Dan Hampton -- will be the first in 37 years to give their induction speeches from a spot other than the Hall's front steps.

A few Hall of Famers stopped by Thursday to pick up credentials. One was Dan Dierdorf. Shading his eyes from the blazing sun, Dierdorf stood on the bottom step and looked back toward the front doors.

``It's a special place,'' said Dierdorf, Class of 1996.

He knows football's shrine better than most. Dierdorf grew up less than a mile away, and nearly 40 years ago, the former St. Louis Cardinals tackle was there when NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle broke ground for the Hall.

``My dad and I watched Pete put the spade in,'' Dierdorf said. ``I used to ride my bike here, and watch all the ceremonies and games.''

Dierdorf has mixed emotions about seeing the ceremony moved.

``I'm a traditionalist, so I'd like to see them stay on the steps,'' said Dierdorf, who played his entire career in St. Louis. ``I completely understand their reasons for moving, though. I'm just glad I got to go in from on the steps like my heroes did. But it was time for the change.''

Officials had been considering the move to Fawcett -- site of the Hall of Fame game -- for the past few years.

At recent ceremonies, the crowd had swelled to the point where it had wrapped around the entire building. Many fans couldn't get close enough to see or even hear the speeches. Also, prime spots in front of the steps were on a first-come basis, so fans began arriving in the early morning.

``It got to be too much,'' Hall spokesman Pete Fierle said. ``Now in the stadium, we can hold bigger crowds and everyone will be much more comfortable. We thought this was the right time to try it.''

The inductions of Kelly, the former Buffalo Bills quarterback, and Stallworth, the former Pittsburgh Steelers receiver, will bring an unusually large contingent of fans from western Pennsylvania and New York.

Fierle said there had been concerns that moving the ceremony would diminish the charm and intimacy of the enshrinement. But he said the stage will provide ideal sight lines and bring the Hall of Famers closer to the fans.

``More people are going to get to come,'' Dierdorf said. ``More people will be able to see. More people can share in the festivities, and that's what it's all about.''

Before leaving, Dierdorf looked across the interstate and pointed in the direction of his boyhood home.

``Right on top of that hill, on 36th Street,'' he said. ``My mom still lives there and I'm sleeping in my own bed this weekend. I'm the only guy in the Hall who can wake up, put on his yellow jacket and walk to the ceremony.''
Working...
X