X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

My back up qb choices...

three guys stand out.. i dont know how realistic it is that they would come here.. but all three guys are older, have been to the probowl, and are moble...

1. rich gannon - older guy.. not far removed from league mvp.. better days are behind him, but if we needed him, he could win for sure. he is more moble than most give him credit for, understands the game, and would fit our offense.

2. jeff garcia - see above.

3. jeff blake - wish we would have signed him instead of bledsoe. his career numbers are not bad.. he would be my third choice, but a good solid back up that wouldnt cause a huge shift/change in JPs offense if he had to come in.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • BuffaloJayhawk
    • Aug 2004

blake would have been a good backup at the time, but I don't trust him as a starter anymore.

Thought right now, I'd rather have him as a backup
    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

blakes most of blakes numbers (career) are better than bledsoes.. i dont think the last three years are worse with him here.. and he have alot of left over money.. but such is life.. it will be very intersting to see who the back up ends up being.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Gannon has a broken neck. He will never play again

Comment

• BillsFanInMass
          The Stoner Zoner
          • Feb 2003

I agree Rich Gannon would probably do good with our weapons i would feel confident if he had to come in for a few games he was in the Super Bowl a few years back.

Comment

• Shasta McNasty
            • Feb 2003

I like Blake being the backup to JP. I think Gannon is done and Garcia will start in Det or Tampa next season.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Being realistic on how much we can/should spend on backups- here are my choices.

I would like to get an older, experienced guy who knows he is a backup and willing to help tutor

Testeverde / Matthews

Matthews/ Odonnell

Matthews/ Blake

B Johnson/Matthews

Jim Miller

If money, need to be the starter, and age were no dispute, I'd like to get McMahon or Holcombe. If we could get that Romo kid from Dallas - he's shown some good stuff- kinda like Volek a few years ago.

I don't want Warner (wants to start) Garcia (WCO guy) Stewart (only consider him as a #3 option ONLY)

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Flutie?

Comment

• cordog
                  eat, drink, and be merry
                  • Apr 2003

Peter King mentioned Neil O'Donnell yesterday. Said he wants to play for 1 team for 2 years. He was always a decent backup in TN.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                    Maybe?
                    • Oct 2003

Stewart
                    1. Cheap
                    2. Knows MM/TC well (and they got him into the Pro Bowl in '01)
                    3. Still mobile so gameplan wouldn't change if he came in
                    Otherwise maybe Garcia or Holcomb. O'Donnel is a fossil, and Vinny is going to need a cane soon. Blake would be okay I guess. He is the very definition of a journeyman qb at this point.

Comment

• buffalofan19
                      God's gift to the Zone
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                      Stewart Knows MM/TC well (and they got him into the Pro Bowl in '01
                      Otherwise maybe Garcia or Holcomb. O'Donnel is a fossil, and Vinny is going to need a cane soon. Blake would be okay I guess. He is the very definition of a journeyman qb at this point.
                      Stewart also fell flat on his face under Mularkey's system the very next year. He was a one year wonder nothing more. And Garcia and Holcomb will not be interested in coming to Buffalo. They are already backing up an inexperienced QB, why would either of them come to Buffalo to be in the exact same position?
                      Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
                      Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
                      Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
                      Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
                      Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
                      Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
                      Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
                      Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
                      Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
                      Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

• That Guy
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by buffalofan19
                        Stewart also fell flat on his face under Mularkey's system the very next year. He was a one year wonder nothing more. And Garcia and Holcomb will not be interested in coming to Buffalo. They are already backing up an inexperienced QB, why would either of them come to Buffalo to be in the exact same position?
                        Garcia isn't really backing up ANYONE right now. And a difference between Buffalo and Cleveland is the team surrounding them.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by buffalofan19
                          Stewart also fell flat on his face under Mularkey's system the very next year. He was a one year wonder nothing more.
                          I'm not saying Stewart is a great...or even a very good...qb. But saying he fell flat...yes he struggled but his numbers through 8 games were better than Drew's most of the time:

65.7% completion rate, 1155 yards, 7.0 YPA, 6TDs, 6INTs

Basically Maddox came in an became the spark...the wonderkid. Also, I think (not sure) that Stewart was injured that year as well.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

guys.. it is tough to make assumptions on what guys would be willing to go where.. you all assume that garcia would only go to detroit.. but that may not be so.. drew said himself that the whole thing was handed w/ class by the team.. and he appreciates that.. other people see that.. and if so many of you think jp is gonna get killed and that he wont make it through the season, others may too.. so maybe a guy like garcia sees that this team is not far away from a championship and that is what he is looking for.

Comment

• buffalofan19
                              God's gift to the Zone
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by That Guy
                              Garcia isn't really backing up ANYONE right now. And a difference between Buffalo and Cleveland is the team surrounding them.
                              A FA QB like Garcia knows that if he signs with Buffalo, he will immediately have to take a back seat to guy with next to no experience whatsoever. That is not a very attractive position for anyone looking for another team. Buffalo will be a last resort for many FA's. It will probably end up being Blake or Kordell Stewart, which does not exactly thrill me should JP go down, which wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the world with the way he runs.
                              Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
                              Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
                              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
                              Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
                              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
                              Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
                              Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
                              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
                              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
                              Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

Working...