If we have to take a step back to move forward I am ok with that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

If we have to take a step back to move forward I am ok with that!

JP needed to get in there sooner rather than later. If Drew couldn't handle being a backup then that is his problem. I really hope we do sign a decent backup QB(I am sorry I can't see Mathews stepping in and doing anything)
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

I don't want to take a step back. Getting rid of Drew is "supposed" to be a step forward. I don't think TD can survive taking a step back first and he doesn't, then we will probably be taking a BIG step back.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

If Dresdoe managed a 9-7 season while he was ranked #26, there is no reason to believe JP can't do at least as well. It was the D and the ST that got us within a game of the playoffs and that's not changing. In fact, it could be argued that McGahee will be even better next year and at 100%, so that will only help JP even more. Lastly this will be MM/TC's second year, so that will also be in his favor.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
        If Dresdoe managed a 9-7 season while he was ranked #26, there is no reason to believe JP can't do at least as well. It was the D and the ST that got us within a game of the playoffs and that's not changing. In fact, it could be argued that McGahee will be even better next year and at 100%, so that will only help JP even more. Lastly this will be MM/TC's second year, so that will also be in his favor.
        You don't really believe that do you?

I am not saying it is impossible for JP to play great but it is highly unlikely. Look at Big Ben who everyone is in love with. He is a better player than JP IMO, and had one of the best running games and leagues best Defense. When he was asked to win a game see what happened.

I think JP should fall somewhere in between Carson Palmer and Eli Manning. I am glad he is already in town and working with the coaching staff.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

this is exactly why I've been stuggling with this whole Bledsoe/Losman thing. Clearly something had to be done about Bledsoe, but I was desperately hoping to find a way to do it WITHOUT taking a step back.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Again I am not guaranteeing a step backwards but I am not going to count on a inexperienced player to play the teams most important position and not have growing pains.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              Again I am not guaranteeing a step backwards but I am not going to count on a inexperienced player to play the teams most important position and not have growing pains.
              agreed- we have to expect that it's not going to go smoothly at first
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Iehoshua
                • Jan 2003

He(Roethlisberger) is a better player than JP IMO
                What is the basis for this opinion? I know you really can't say from the few games JP played this season... Did you watch a lot of the college games?

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

I am not saying it is impossible for JP to play great but it is highly unlikely. Look at Big Ben who everyone is in love with. He is a better player than JP IMO, and had one of the best running games and leagues best Defense. When he was asked to win a game see what happened.

I think JP should fall somewhere in between Carson Palmer and Eli Manning. I am glad he is already in town and working with the coaching staff.
                  "I am not saying it is impossible for JP to play great but it is highly unlikely."

That's my whole point. Dredsoe was anything BUT great and we went 9-7. All JP has to do is play "solid" and we can make the playoffs, for the reasons I mentioned above. As for winning in the playoffs, sure it's not very likely given what rookies tend to do in those high pressure situations. But I'll be satisified having JP play well enough to at least *make* the playoffs for the first time in 5 years. Sure, I want to win the SB....but I'm keeping my expectations in check. This will be his first year starting and I'm not expecting miracles (although it won't complain if he does)

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
                    • Oct 2002

Thurm, I dont think you understand Cyn's point. JP does not have to play great. Quite opposite actually, he only has to be very mediocore to attain the same level of play DB provided last year. I dont think anybody expects JP to be great this year, but he doesnt have to be. This is a change and to be so close last year, so any big change is a little scary to us as fans, but I honstly think this could provide that last little spark to push us through.

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
                      • Oct 2002

"I am not saying it is impossible for JP to play great but it is highly unlikely."

That's my whole point. Dredsoe was anything BUT great and we went 9-7. All JP has to do is play "solid" and we can make the playoffs, for the reasons I mentioned above. As for winning in the playoffs, sure it's not very likely given what rookies tend to do in those high pressure situations. But I'll be satisified having JP play well enough to at least *make* the playoffs for the first time in 5 years. Sure, I want to win the SB....but I'm keeping my expectations in check. This will be his first year starting and I'm not expecting miracles (although it won't complain if he does)
                      Sorry Cyn, hope I didnt put words in your mouth

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
                        What is the basis for this opinion? I know you really can't say from the few games JP played this season... Did you watch a lot of the college games?
                        Actually yes. College I saw many games(10 at least) from Roethlisburger from his Junior and Senior seasons and really did want us to get him. I saw JP only 2 times and he looked good also but I just think Big Ben will be the better player.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

It seemed like Miami of Ohio was always on those midweek games on ESPN2.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
                            Sorry Cyn, hope I didnt put words in your mouth
                            No problem...you got the jist of what I said.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

IMO(and this is strickly my opinion) as bad as Drew played(and I didn't think he was completly horrible this year) a virtual rookie Quarterback will be that much worse. Most of the Experts(draft wiz's, scouts, etc) stated that JP had the arm and mobility to succeed but he was by far the biggest project of the top 4 QBs. Look how bad Eli Manning played. JP could easily be that bad. Don't forget the Giants were 5-2 when he took over so it wasn't like he didn't have any talent around him.

Comment

Working...
                              X