PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Douglas

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Heard on ESPN Radio that Hugh Douglas (DE for Philly)is voiding his contract and will put himself on the FA. It'll be safe to assume that he'll be demanding big dollars.

What is your take on this guy and should be even think about bringing him in?

clumping platelets
12-02-2002, 12:05 PM
Too rich for the Bills blood

Ebenezer
12-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Cut Jay, add $3 million to the cap and take a run at him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2002, 12:14 PM
He would be a great addition. Why is he too rich for our blood? I agree cut JR and go after him.

Voltron
12-02-2002, 12:22 PM
If we cut JR we will get a nasty cap hit once again. Why not work on him taking a pay cut? He still is a good TE!

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Jay wouldn't take a paycut in the beginning of this season. They brought in Dave Moore and used that as leverage and he still wouldn't budge. I guess maybe after this season's dismal performance he will reconsider, because he knows he probably wouldn't do much better somewhere else.

Get rid of Fletcher is what I'd say.

Novacane
12-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Get rid of Fletcher? Were you watching the game yesterday? He was the only one making any tackles on the running game

Novacane
12-02-2002, 12:46 PM
Jay is as good as gone unless he takes a major pay cut. They should at least bring Douglas in for a look and see how much $$$ he wants

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Get rid of Fletcher? Were you watching the game yesterday? He was the only one making any tackles on the running game
Actually no I wasn't. Listened to it online. Here in Wisconsin they were obviously showing the Packer game and none on CBS. Sorry.

Novacane
12-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Fletcher had a good game yesterday. I think he is a good LB. He just needs a better DL in front of him.

Bert102176
12-02-2002, 12:59 PM
isn't JR a free agent after this season anyways, and heck we should try and go after Hugh Douglas we need a great DE like he is.

venis2k1
12-02-2002, 01:34 PM
If we could pick up Hugh Douglas there is no way we are gonna resign Price. i say get price, and have the d-line look like this next year:

Schobel-?-Big Pat-Jones

we need a nasty DT, any ideas?

colin
12-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Hugh would be a wicked DE for us. With Jones, Schoble, and Hugh we could rush our ends up the field like demons every play and always have someone fresh to kick ass. Throw in a DT in FA and Spikes and Colvin, and we have a 46 FOR REAL.

ublinkwescore
12-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Bryant Young from the 49ers is a free agent after this season - I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform next year right alongside Ninja Williams.

I couldn't agree more, we need to get rid of Jay Riemersma (I hope his contract expires after this year - and he leaves the division), and Dashon Polk, and Eddie Robinson, and then we replace them with Takeo Spikes, Simmons from the Bungles - and that should make our team all set for a Lombardi run (hell maybe 2 or 3 or 4).

But - we're not done yet for this season - the patriots will have a chance to drive the final nail in our coffin though.

ublinkwescore
12-02-2002, 02:22 PM
London Fletcher is good - that first R. Williams TD run the O-line got right on him and neutralized him - If we had (as is possible next year) Bryant Young in there next to Pat Williams, that wouldn't have happened - hell, he probably would have only gotten a yard.

venis2k1
12-02-2002, 03:46 PM
i really think our "D" is one really good DT away from being good.

Ebenezer
12-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Voltron
If we cut JR we will get a nasty cap hit once again. Why not work on him taking a pay cut? He still is a good TE!

Jay has one year remaining on his contract. His base next season is $3.5 mil and his prorated part of his signing bonus is $1,386,667 for a total of $4,886,667. the $1.39 mil is spent whether he is here or not. So, it would be a savings of $3.5 mil on the cap if he is cut...which he will be. This offense does not lend itself to a TE that makes that much money...and the cap does lend itself to keeping a TE that makes that much money and catches only a ball or 2 per game.

Romes
12-02-2002, 04:15 PM
To clairfy the Hugh Douglass situation is not that he is filing for free agency this year, beacuse he wants to leave the eagles, but that since he has reached a certain number of sacks it automatically voids his contract for the next year. So he is a free agent not but choice, but by the structuring of his contract.

here is a link
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/4645345.htm

losman2evans
12-02-2002, 07:31 PM
JR-renegotiate

give him 4 million for 3 years with a 1 mill signing bonus

peerless 5 years 20 million with a 5 million dollar signing bonus

thoughts?

4thAndLong
12-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
Bryant Young from the 49ers is a free agent after this season - I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform next year right alongside Ninja Williams.

I couldn't agree more, we need to get rid of Jay Riemersma (I hope his contract expires after this year - and he leaves the division), and Dashon Polk, and Eddie Robinson, and then we replace them with Takeo Spikes, Simmons from the Bungles - and that should make our team all set for a Lombardi run (hell maybe 2 or 3 or 4).

But - we're not done yet for this season - the patriots will have a chance to drive the final nail in our coffin though.

Simmons signed a huge contract extension at the beginning of the year.

colin
12-02-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
JR-renegotiate

give him 4 million for 3 years with a 1 mill signing bonus

peerless 5 years 20 million with a 5 million dollar signing bonus

thoughts?

I like the Price signing, JR needs to work at the gas station with Jackson.

venis2k1
12-02-2002, 09:27 PM
lol colin, its funny cause' its true

Marcos20
12-02-2002, 09:34 PM
:rofl:

MissBuffalo
12-02-2002, 09:45 PM
LOL colin!!! so true, so true!

LuvDaBills11
12-02-2002, 10:08 PM
bryant young is avialbe next year? we should get him and see if marcus jones gives us the threat at de we need.

ublinkwescore
12-03-2002, 12:01 AM
If we can keep our D intact right now (with the exception of Polk, and Robinson) and bring in Young from S.F., and Spikes from the Bengals, we will be the team to beat next year for sure after the D has jelled - maybe the 4-6 could work for us, but we'd better start implementing a little 3-4 for a safety net since most of these players right now are familiar with the system, and were solid at worse with the 3-4.

I just hope our O doesn't dissappear for stretches like it did this year (I hope it wasn't a one game rejuvination either).

TigerJ
12-03-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree that Jay Remiersma has become a liability in Buffalo rather than a key player in the offence. He wouldn't renegotiate last offseason. I don't see him accepting the kind of pay cut he would need to take to bring him down to where his true worth is. He'll be gone in the off season. There are a number of free agents available on the d-line in the offseason. I don't think Hugh Douglas is the best choice for the Bills to pursue because I think of him more as a RDE type. He's got plenty of speed but I don't know that he has the size/strength to take on the TE/Tackle combo on the other side. Teams usually want their bigger stronger DE on the left and their faster one on the right. With the signing of Marcus Jones the Bills are fully staffed on the right. Jones was never very effective as a LDE so to sign Hugh Douglas would in effect make the signing of Marcus Jones a waste. Buffalo would be better served by going after a natural LDE or another tackle where they need more depth and competition. I don't suppose the Giants would trade Michael Strahan for Jay Remiersma. No? I was afraid of that.

don137
12-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Look at the Raiders roster. Half that team will be available next year because they will be 50 million over the cap. I doubt Sam Adams will have as high of a contract demand. Who knows maybe Chicago will cut Big Ted. I think there will be a lot of DT's and DE's available for the taking.