PDA

View Full Version : The Price for Peerless will be too high for sure

Voltron
12-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Just a comment to all those who thought we could afford him with some cap moves. He is so gone. :(

A 1000-yard season demands some big money. The only way I can see us keeping him is if EM can talk him into it and I think his agent will tell him to stay away from Moulds. Any other thoughts?

:feedback:

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2002, 12:22 PM
Only time will tell. I hope they will be able to work something out though.

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 12:28 PM
I am beginning to believe that Price is something special. I hope we give him a good offer.

AG75
12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I am beginning to believe that Price is something special. I hope we give him a good offer.

Me too :( I do not want the Bills to lose this guy. Not with the offense we have, Drew needs his weapons and Price is definitely one of them.

Romes
12-02-2002, 12:44 PM
I hope we re-sign price but if he asks for too much money I would rather we fix our defense then pay for his price tag (no pun intended :D). IMO, we would be better off with a worse offense without PP, and a better defense with a sold DT or someone who can rush the passer at DE. Then again if we can re-sign price and still have cap room to improve our D. Then even better.

Cntrygal
12-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan
I hope we re-sign price but if he asks for too much money I would rather we fix our defense then pay for his price tag (no pun intended :D). IMO, we would be better off with a worse offense without PP, and a better defense with a sold DT or someone who can rush the passer at DE. Then again if we can re-sign price and still have cap room to improve our D. Then even better.

I agree!

lordofgun
12-02-2002, 12:47 PM
He;s not definitely gone. We will have a lot of room left under the cap at the end of the season. We can also tag him if needed.

I'm not saying they will re-sign him, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Some people seem to think that he is just a deep threat, but IMO he can do it all. He reminds me of a young Jerry Rice.

He and S. Moss are the best in the league when it comes to "running after the catch."

On the bright side, there is no way that there will be a serious drop off in offensive production if he leaves.

Another thought: Sure, everything is rosy between Moulds and Price now, but what about when Moulds is 35 and Price is in his prime at 31 (just an assumption)? I bet that there personal relationship is going to have a big effect on waht Price decides to do. If Price feels that Moulds will turn the #1 spot over to him when the time is right, he may be more likely to sign.

Also I would not be pissed at him if he left. He could easily be the #1 guy at at least 7 or 8 teams, arguably more. Every receiver dreams about that You only live once.

Also, how big is his family. 40 mil instead of 30 mil is important when you have 40 brothers, sisters, and cousins you want to take care of.

If he leaves I am sure he will have nothing but good things to say about Buffalo

Even if he leaves, maybe he will come back after 4 or 5 years when he realizes that it sucks to play in Cinnci or wherever he may go. Not many do but there are some. Shannon Sharpe is one.

Typ0
12-02-2002, 01:13 PM
We should make every effort to make Price a fair offer to stay. He isn't much of a number two guy having twenty less receiving yards than Moulds and two more touchdowns. I don't think either of those guys cares who gets more of what they just want to be in the game and have the opportunity to make plays. Can we afford to have two number ones? I hope so.

colin
12-02-2002, 01:20 PM
$4 or $5 mil per season might be what we pay him. I did not think we would before, but now I am not sure.

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by colin
I did not think we would before, but now I am not sure.

what did you think before?

Typ0
12-02-2002, 01:29 PM
Incidently did you guys see Price & Moulds at the podium together yesterday after the game? That is a good sign.

colin
12-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

what did you think before?

I was thinking we would give him a slightly low ball offer and let him walk if he wants big cash. I still think Moulds is a much better player, but Price is that second part of the one two punch.

LABillsFan
12-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Price will be on the team next year guarenteed. His comments after the game of "being the start of something special" says he wants to be in Buffalo. Where else can he go where he has a QB, an RB and another WR like Moulds to get the numbers he does, the only teams that are going to offer him a big payday are teams that are at the same level or worse. You know Drew and EM will be talking to him and while his salary will go up, there will be room to address other positions. All you have to do is look at Moss' and K Johnson's, without a second threat they are taken out of there game.

vabillsfan
12-02-2002, 03:28 PM
He's gone because we won't be able to afford him. Moulds stays, Josh Reed becomes the next go to guy.

Wish it could be different

Dozerdog
12-02-2002, 03:30 PM
You have to step back and look for the market for Price

Eliminate the teams that can't afford (Cap hell) or don't need his services.
(Oakland, SF, Indy, Denver, Miami, ST Louis, Green Bay)

Eliminate the teams with GLARING weaknesses that overshadow spending on Price (Detroit, Minnesota, Bears, Jacksonville, Dallas)

After paring down the field, there are less than a Dozen out there.

Philly was way under the cap this season, so I don't know if they will next season. They would love Price.

Arizona- If they let Boston go, they might pursue

Carolina, Atlanta, Cincy, Seattle- Might have room and a need for a #1 receiver. Atlanta might be a threat.

Don't forget, Charlie Rogers-WR Michigan St, and possible FA's like Boston might shrink the market more. Let's hope he can be resigned at a reasonable cost....

LtBillsFan66
12-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Price has come out and said many times that he would like to stay with the Bills. I heard it and read it a dozen times!

The_Philster
12-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Price has come out and said many times that he would like to stay with the Bills. I heard it and read it a dozen times!

but has he guaranteed it like Moulds did? ;)

LABillsFan
12-02-2002, 03:52 PM
A second year guy, which reed will be is not someone you want a go to guy. Experience plays a big part of what Moulds and Price has done this year. Recognizing coverage, stutter steps breaking off a route, cutting back, etc. Reed does not (yet) have the moves or experience to know how to do it at this level.

Dozer, I noticed you left off SD? If the Bills baulk, Butler is the sort of person to try and get him signed.

BillC
12-02-2002, 04:15 PM
SD signed Tim Dwight and TE Alexander to fat contracts earlier this season. I think Cap considerations will prevent them from grabbing Price. They have talented WR's already.

Dozerdog
12-02-2002, 04:40 PM
You got it, BillC.....

It all comes down to Peerless Price. If he wants to grab the brass ring $$$$ wise, he could get it in Houston.

If he wants a Super Bowl Ring, he sacrefices muco dinero and stays here, or tries another contender (Philly, Atlanta, Even SF )

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Atlanta,

Vick to Price would be pretty sick

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 04:48 PM
someone give a list of the to-be FA WR's. I am to lazy.

not that I am looking for one for the Bills, just want to see what other teams are going to be looking at in addition to Price.

Marcos20
12-02-2002, 04:52 PM
i want these two guys togheter for a long time

The Natrix
12-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Marcos20
i want these two guys togheter for a long time

who, WestBoast and his boyfriend?

Billsouth
12-02-2002, 06:55 PM
why dont we try to sign him now and use some of our extra cap money that we have this year as a bonus. if it is not enough we could try to structure a two tier bonus with the second tier maturing next year.

Tatonka
12-02-2002, 08:37 PM
i am virginia tech alum... so naturally i pull for vick.. and carpenter (who i still absolutely cant believe we cut!!!).. plus they have alot of other ex bills, like wade and holcek, and rogers ect ect..

the point is.. i pull for those guys.. so if we were to lose price, i absolutely would love to see him there catching bombs from vick.

as far as free agent wrs.. boston is the big fish.. but comes with bagage.. he is a roid machine who is eventually going to get suspended.. and he has had trouble with injuries..

and then there is price.. who, in his own right, could be considered as attractive if not more attractive to perspective teams as boston... clean record.. great great season... good attitude.. no injuries.. while boston struggled at the absolute wrong time before season ending injury.

also.. one guy i REALLY cant believe has not been mentioned is DARRELL JACKSON!.. if we lose price.. i would absolute love to see him in buffalo!
http://www.nflpa.org/media/playerProfile.asp?ID=28831

there is also cris carter (wouldnt want him!)

lavernaus coles!! love him...
http://www.nflpa.org/media/playerProfile.asp?ID=28829

there is Derrius Thompson from washington.. he might be nice, and fairly cheap.
http://www.nflpa.org/media/playerProfile.asp?ID=27273

and that is it!.. i went throught the whole list of wrs in the nfl..
http://www.nflpa.org/media/main.asp?subPage=Player+Search+Results

all the rest is trash..

ps.. peter warrick is making 3 x what peerless is making.. funny huh.

Tatonka
12-02-2002, 08:38 PM
and you could have all of our WRS for the same price as moss.. with change to spare.. rofl.

Tatonka
12-02-2002, 08:40 PM
come to think of it.. really.. i dont think teams will see that much difference in those top 4 WRS..

jackson, coles, boston and price.. those are all top quality wrs.. jackson and coles may just come a little cheaper..

and this is assuming that none of them get tagged with the franchise.. which is a very good possibility that one or two may.

itsandthings
12-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Coles and Jackson are both restricted FA, and they are likely to be tendered to require 1st round compensation. Since the Bills don't have a 1st round pick, that isn't possible.

Thompson isn't that good. At best, he is a 3rd WR, but he would be a big downgrade from Price.

David Boston would likely be available. It is possible that Arizona will franchise him, but possible they will not as it isn't certain they want him back. He is tremendously talented, but comes with big-time baggage (drug problems).

Ebenezer
12-03-2002, 11:55 AM
The problem is not the 2003 cost of Price. They can write the contrace where he cap hit next year would be less than they would save by cutting Jay R. ($3.5 mil). the problem is the years down the road...Ruben's salary keeps escalation...Moulds, Bledsoe, Williams...all get huge jack in 2005 and 2006. Signing PP to a 2-year deal would be doable but signing him to the 6 or 7 year deal he will want (plus the years to amoratorize the bonus he'll command) is what makes signing him almost impossible.

Bottom line: Unless PP wants to come back and he wants to come back cheap and unless he structures the deal to the Bills benefit then there is 0% chance of him being back unless there is no market at all.

LABillsFan
12-03-2002, 12:44 PM
But all the Jack those guys get is no paper only. There is no guarentee that those guys won't be asked to take a cut and let's face it, is Rueben really worth all that money? Bledsoe may deal in the next few years because he wants a ring more than money, Williams contract is pretty much set as is though.