Let's talk about a previous QB controversy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Why did that idiot Wade Phillips decide to start RJ in the Music City Mirage game when Flutie had been winning? I honestly don't remember why he did that. Do you think it would have changed the outcome?

To be honest, I saw that game on NFL network last year and I don't think there's anything we could have done to win because the refs were so bad. Aside from the lateral that wasn't, there were several other blatantly bad calls that hurt the Bills. Often, teams execute poorly and the fans or players try to blame the refs for a bad call at the end of a close game, when the truth is that the team could have won by playing better regardless of the call. In this game, that wasn't the case- the horrid officiating led directly to 10 points for Tennessee and we were pretty much screwed at that point.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • TheBrownBear
    • Dec 2004

I think we win that game with Flutie. Johnson played a solid second half but he was just atrocious in the first half. If Flutie starts we probably go into halftime with a slight lead instead of down 12-0. But you never know, Flutie could have stunk up the joint. Easy to second guess, but you've gotta go with the experienced "winner" who's lead your team all season. It was a stupid move then, and it's a stupid move now.

Comment

• Iehoshua
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
      Why did that idiot Wade Phillips decide to start RJ in the Music City Mirage game when Flutie had been winning? I honestly don't remember why he did that. Do you think it would have changed the outcome?

To be honest, I saw that game on NFL network last year and I don't think there's anything we could have done to win because the refs were so bad. Aside from the lateral that wasn't, there were several other blatantly bad calls that hurt the Bills. Often, teams execute poorly and the fans or players try to blame the refs for a bad call at the end of a close game, when the truth is that the team could have won by playing better regardless of the call. In this game, that wasn't the case- the horrid officiating led directly to 10 points for Tennessee and we were pretty much screwed at that point.
      That mistake is the point in time where the decline of the team began... We're still reaping the results to this day.

There is no doubt in my mind the outcome would have been different with Flutie... I think we'd have beaten Tennessee handily. Just my opinion. This day may have been nearly as dark as each of the Super Bowl losses.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Ralph ordered Wade to start RJ - at least that was the rumor. I firmly believe we would have won with Flutie.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Flutie had an up and down year. There was a period in the middle of that season where are wins were in spite of him...tucking the ball and running instead of throwing for a big gain, interceptions and the like. But Wade couldn't replace him with RJ without being afraid of pissing off Ralph. Ralph was the one who was behind the big deal that Flutie got between the 1998 and 1999 seasons. When we didn't have anything to gain or lose in that finale against Indy, he was able to play RJ...and he had a spectacular game. Seeing that and remembering how Flutie struggled down the stretch (just before he started turning it around), Ralph gave his blessing for the switch...I repeat, his blessing. I heard a number of people claim that Ralph hated Flutie. I'd love to have someone hate me as much as Ralph 'hated' Doug 4 yrs, $22M
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Fluties problem was once he played ten games his arm really started going down hill...he's not a season long starter he just can't handle the workload. So the switch was made...and when Rob Johnson left the field with a few seconds left in the game we were winning.

Comment

• buffalofan19
              God's gift to the Zone
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Typ0
              Fluties problem was once he played ten games his arm really started going down hill...he's not a season long starter he just can't handle the workload. So the switch was made...and when Rob Johnson left the field with a few seconds left in the game we were winning.
              I agree with that last statement. While Flutie probably should have started that game, Rob Johnson had them up with 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter. All they needed to do was to stay in their lanes on the kickoff and the Bills go to Indianapolis. It should have been irrelevant if you think about it.
              Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
              Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
              Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
              Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
              Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
              Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
              Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
              Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Dear God....must we?

It's funny though. I often wonder, if we had won that game, would fortune be reversed for Johnson? For Phillips? That loss set off a chain of events that really sent this franchise into a tailspin if you think about it.

A spin that we're only beginning to crawl out of.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                  Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Thanks for bringing this up....NOT!

However allow me to add my two cents.

I was a devout Flutie supporter. I thought Flutie was going to be the secret ingredient for a trip to the SB again, even before he took to the field.

The Indy game the ended the regular season should have been Flutie's game, not Johnson's. Then the bloody debacle now known as the Memphis Miracle happened.

Here's why I think we would have had a much better lead in that game than the few points with :18 left. I haven't watched the game since it happened, so forgive me if my memory is a little cloudy. I remember the O-line taking 9 false start penalties because they were used to the on field cadence of DF. RJ couldn't get into a groove that they line could adjust to. Another turning point of that game was the sack RJ took in the endzone giving Tenn a safety. There's no way that Flutie would have been sacked in the endzone.

That was the one year that Flutie had a chance to win the much deserved Super Bowl and the Bills bent him over.
                  When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Stewie
                    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                    • Aug 2002

Yea but Rob Johnson is 6'4".
                    Originally posted by Topdog
                    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    I love Weiner.
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    also cheese

Comment

• colin
                      Drew's my hero!
                      • Jul 2002

flutie would not have done any better, our LT was hurt and tennesse was the best D in football (beside us).

our d was great, our o came on late, and we were up by more than a FG and all we had to do was cover a kick and not let them score a TD and we would have won.

flutie should have been yanked earlier in the season, but RJ would have just gotten hurt anyway. we needed o line then, just like we need it now.

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

Let me start with I hate both RJ and DF. I seriously think that they both suck. Flutie was fun to watch, but don't forget how crappy our offense was that year. We had a great defense, and that's why we won. Offensively, we only averaged a smidge over 14 points per game. That flat out sucks. I think Ralph and the coaches felt that we needed a shot in the arm if we're to compete against the best defense in the NFL at the time. The philosophy obviously didn't work. I do understand though. Anyway, good riddence to both of those losers. RJ totally disappeared (after winning an undeserved ring!), and Flutie even couldn't unseat Brees when he was totally sucking.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by colin
                          flutie would not have done any better, our LT was hurt and tennesse was the best D in football (beside us).

our d was great, our o came on late, and we were up by more than a FG and all we had to do was cover a kick and not let them score a TD and we would have won.

flutie should have been yanked earlier in the season, but RJ would have just gotten hurt anyway. we needed o line then, just like we need it now.
                          we needed ST back then too. ST was horrible all season that year and it came back to bite us in the ass. Yes, the refs made a horrendous call but that's no excuse for letting the TD happen in the first place (I still think the refs cost us the game though, cuz they were horrible throughout the whole thing)

It wasn't until this year that our ST recovered (the '02 season opener agains the Jets still stings).
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
                            Let me start with I hate both RJ and DF. I seriously think that they both suck. Flutie was fun to watch, but don't forget how crappy our offense was that year. We had a great defense, and that's why we won. Offensively, we only averaged a smidge over 14 points per game. That flat out sucks. I think Ralph and the coaches felt that we needed a shot in the arm if we're to compete against the best defense in the NFL at the time. The philosophy obviously didn't work. I do understand though. Anyway, good riddence to both of those losers. RJ totally disappeared (after winning an undeserved ring!), and Flutie even couldn't unseat Brees when he was totally sucking.
                            I agree, they both sucked. I liked Flutie better though- he definitely had his drawbacks (that bootleg against Miami in the playoffs- uggh), but he was exciting to watch and capable of making a game-breaking play at any moment. We're better off without those two jokers.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Beastmaster
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Everything before the Music city miracle is of no significance. The fact is that the qb that day had us up and ready to win the game. Special teams blew an easy assignment and we vanished. Would have? Could have? That's all I hear when it comes to that game if flutie had started. Everyone loves flutie's heart and his ability to come back from his mistakes. Johnson played with a lot of heart and made up for his mistakes by helping get the lead. We had it. The rest of the guys blew it. They could not finish the game. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                              X