• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

The hidden jewel of free agency is...

Seahawk's WR Alex Bannister.

That is the guy I'd most like to see NE sign in FA. Though the big (6-5, 205#) WR only has 9 career catches for 121 yards and a TD, he is an absolute difference-maker on ST. He made the Pro Bowl as a ST player a couple years ago, but missed most of last season with a broken collarbone.

Sure, there are more enticing guys out there for the average fan, but Bannister is a guy that will make several difference-making plays a year on ST, and it won't bust your cap to sign the guy.

Bannister reportedly would like an opportunity to play more regular offense in addition to his ST duties. Though he hasn't played a lot of WR, he has worked hard to improve his game in that area after coming into the league real raw out of Eastern Kentucky. Big and fast, he has had to improve route-running and his getting off the jam. He is not an instinctive receiver.

That said, I bet few players will have as much impact in free agency for the dollars they cost. This guy is a Steve Tasker-type of ST player.

Here is what Bill Belichick said about him before the Pats played Seattle this year:

"I think they have in Alex Bannister probably as good of a player as I have ever coached against on special teams. This guy is really an exceptional player. Wherever he is on the field, whether he is rushing kicks, whether he is covering them, he is a big-time player and a guy we are going to have to account for."
  • Iehoshua
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NE39
    Seahawk's WR Alex Bannister.

That is the guy I'd most like to see NE sign in FA. Though the big (6-5, 205#) WR only has 9 career catches for 121 yards and a TD, he is an absolute difference-maker on ST. He made the Pro Bowl as a ST player a couple years ago, but missed most of last season with a broken collarbone.

Sure, there are more enticing guys out there for the average fan, but Bannister is a guy that will make several difference-making plays a year on ST, and it won't bust your cap to sign the guy.

Bannister reportedly would like an opportunity to play more regular offense in addition to his ST duties. Though he hasn't played a lot of WR, he has worked hard to improve his game in that area after coming into the league real raw out of Eastern Kentucky. Big and fast, he has had to improve route-running and his getting off the jam. He is not an instinctive receiver.

That said, I bet few players will have as much impact in free agency for the dollars they cost. This guy is a Steve Tasker-type of ST player.

Here is what Bill Belichick said about him before the Pats played Seattle this year:

"I think they have in Alex Bannister probably as good of a player as I have ever coached against on special teams. This guy is really an exceptional player. Wherever he is on the field, whether he is rushing kicks, whether he is covering them, he is a big-time player and a guy we are going to have to account for."
    Hard to disagree if Belichick is praising him...

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

He was a RFA last year that I remember many people on this board wanted TD to make an offer to him. I'd still take him I think Bannister would be a great compliment to the speed of Evans and the overall game of Moulds.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
        • May 2003

Yeah, there were a bunch of us wanting TD to make a move on the guy.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

I don't know- this might be part of a misinformation campaign. I think BB is trying to talk up a mediocre player to convince Buffalo or some other team to overpay for him. That way, we won't be able to re-sign Jennings and/or Williams and he'll be able to beat up on us worse than he usually does.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Gunzlingr
            • Jul 2002

I remember talk of him last year. Fast as hell, if memory serves.
            You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I don't know- this might be part of a misinformation campaign. I think BB is trying to talk up a mediocre player to convince Buffalo or some other team to overpay for him. That way, we won't be able to re-sign Jennings and/or Williams and he'll be able to beat up on us worse than he usually does.
              Yeah, and it was one of LBJ's guys on the grassy knoll in Dallas.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

I have never heard of the guy. Of course there are unsung hero's everywhere, but why isn't his name a little more known to fans across the league if he is soooo good?

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

He's been brought up. He certainly has credentials as a special teamer and a great size/speed combination.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

New England is one of the few teams that could afford the luxury of going after a strictly ST guy in FA.

Our ST's are already #1, so we can pass.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      That way, we won't be able to re-sign Jennings and/or Williams and he'll be able to beat up on us worse than he usually does.
                      The reality of the situation is we won't be making a strong effort to re-sign JJ.

Mike Williams makes way too much money for a RT, the Bills will move MW to LT this season IMO. If JJ fails to generate much interest the Bills will make him an offer, but thats not going to happen. With MW making the switch the Bills have a few players on the roster that can step up into the RT position. This also frees up money and allows the Bills to spend it on a FA OG/C.

I believe PW will be resigned basicaly because he will take a little less to stick around.

Comment

• That Guy
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                        I have never heard of the guy. Of course there are unsung hero's everywhere, but why isn't his name a little more known to fans across the league if he is soooo good?
                        Because he plays special teams. Special teams efforts rarely even get mentioned during the actual games due to commercials, show promos and the overall idiocy of today's announcers.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                          New England is one of the few teams that could afford the luxury of going after a strictly ST guy in FA.

Our ST's are already #1, so we can pass.
                          You're right, if all he's going to do is play special teams the Bills should pass. If they think he has a chance to become a pretty good third or fourth receiver, then he might be very worth signing. I leave that decision to the scouting staff and TD though.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                            • May 2004

Let's grab him before the Pats do and he becomes yet another no name player to make huge plays for them. I want the Pats to sign only high dollar, high profile players....they have to get screwed some time.
                            "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                            --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

He came to Buffalo last year and was interviewed.

Comment

Working...
                              X