PDA

View Full Version : Rank your Backup QB(s) qualities

Dozerdog
02-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm going to list a number of qualities that you might want for your backup QB.

Pick the qualities you think are most important for your backup. Based on the results, we can better define who would be the best candidate out there.

While you can pick multiple qualities, please pick the 3 most important in your eyes.

Experience as a starter (At least 30 career starts)
Playoff experience (at least 2 career playoff games )
Winning record as a starter (last 2-3 starting seasons)
Mentoring ability (has helped tutor/develop at least one young QB on same team)
Long-term starting ability (can carry the team 1 full season if needed)
Youth- will be in the league a while
Athleticism- Can scramble like Losman
Strong arm
Durability
Familiarity with System/Donahoe/Mularkey
Former Pro Bowler

Dozerdog
02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I picked mentoring ability, starting ability, and playoff experience.

He's a backup. If we are going to have to rely on them longer than 2-3 games, our season is in jeopardy anyway.

Durability isn't a premium for me, since hopefully he won't see a ton of action. However, I do want this guy to have recent starting and playoff experience if Losman does injure himself with reckless scrambling again.

Dozerdog
02-17-2005, 11:36 PM
The backup doesn't need to be young in my book, since JP will be the starter for at least 2-3 seasons even if he struggles (like Harrington).

A younger guy like McMahon sounds sweet if we didn't have all the money and draft picks invested in JP already. Cap freindly is important, but not supreame in my book. I'll pay above vet minimum to invest in QB insurance.

Historian
02-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Only one:

He should be able to lead his team back from a 32 point deficit in a playoff game.

:D

I picked Mentoring, Cheap cap number, and won games elsewhere. The most important thing that isn't there, is "knows his role on the team". Sorry Bud, you have no chance of starting, except for injury. He needs to know this, so as not to have delusions of grandeur.

That could fall under mentoring, I suppose.

northernbillfan
02-18-2005, 04:43 AM
I like ones that can stand upright and have read the playbook.

audio/s
02-18-2005, 05:42 AM
anything other than the attributes that rob johnson carrys

Jan Reimers
02-18-2005, 06:16 AM
I like ones that can stand upright and have read the playbook.
What IS Billy Jo Hobert doing these days?

Seriously, I like experience as a starter and mentoring ability. None of the rest matter much to me. Shane Matthews would be fine.

Dozerdog
02-18-2005, 06:58 AM
The most important thing that isn't there, is "knows his role on the team". Sorry Bud, you have no chance of starting, except for injury. He needs to know this, so as not to have delusions of grandeur.

That could fall under mentoring, I suppose.

It would be implied when he signs- that you are here to be a backup- not get a fair shot to actually compete fotr the job.

Sabre Ally
02-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Aww...just a backup? In that case I guess Matthews would be ok.

but I really want Jeff Garcia :love:

Earthquake Enyart
02-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Which box do I check if I want a guy who doesn't suck?

Sabre Ally
02-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Garcia followed by 'I want a guy who doesn't suck' ... :gag: :rofl:

TedMock
02-18-2005, 09:50 AM
A guy who wouldn't totally be an automatic loss against good teams. The most important thing out of a backup, imo, is intelligence. The backup will most likely not be an equal to the starter in terms of talent, so when he is called upon, intelligence is key. Know the offense, know your role, know what you're capable of, know what you're not capable of, play your game, and don't do anything stupid.

mysticsoto
02-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Can we say...an Alex Van Pelt type of guy? Or a Frank Reich type of guy? Those were all solid backups from our good old days...

Mr. Cynical
02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Winning record - self explanatory.

Athleticism - don't want to have to signifcantly change the gameplan when he goes in.

Cheap cap number - we need to get that oline fixed and re-sign key players. Don't need to lock up lots of cash on a backup, especially on any of the ones available this year.

Alston11
02-18-2005, 02:45 PM
plenty of experience
cheap
long term in case JP is injured

The King
02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
plenty of experience
cheap
long term in case JP is injured

Way to select everything, jackass.

Dozerdog
02-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Winning record - self explanatory.

Athleticism - don't want to have to signifcantly change the gameplan when he goes in.

Cheap cap number - we need to get that oline fixed and re-sign key players. Don't need to lock up lots of cash on a backup, especially on any of the ones available this year.

If you had a choice- would you get a guy who gives you a better chance to win over a guy who has a better chance of teaching JP Losman how to win?

Philagape
02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't think starting experience is necessary. Our greatest backup ever had very little experience before leading The Comeback. Often, guys who have been in the league for a while as backups can come in and do well -- Gannon was a backup for a long time, and Holcomb also comes to mind. I think maturity and intelligence have a lot to do with it, so that's the kind of guy I want.

The Natrix
02-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I went with Cheap under the cap, Starting experience, and mentoring ability.

Cheap enough to not make the statement that Losman is not to be trusted (which rules out Garcia). Some starting experience - at least 6 games. Mentoring. Although I'm twisting Dozer's definition a little: He doesn't have to had previously tutored someone, just needs the ability to be supportive and know his role: A backup QB.

The Natrix
02-19-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't know what anyone sees in McMahon.(?) He hasn't shown jack. Keep him out of Buffalo! He's just as much of a prospect as Bradley Van Pelt, which isn't saying much.